What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. comedy novel set in downtown hospital

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) This book was a mildly comic novel; not at all like 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' although it may have been set in a mental hospital.

If anything it was more reminiscent of Paddy Chayefsky's "The Hospital" script for the George C. Scott film. Its also like the Walter Matthau movie 'House Calls' somewhat.

This book was not particularly strong or superb in any way; but it did tell the adventures-behind-the-scenes; of hospital administration. The POV was that of the MDs.

message 3: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Hi, thanks for the guess--but this book was something much more hum-drum; garnered very scant readership; did not create a splash. Probably by a new or beginning author.

Light fiction; trying to make some statement about caregiving in general and with some gentle humor tossed in. I feel sure it was a mental hospital setting and apart from two doctors (m/f) who were the lead characters there was a fop of a hospital administrator who they (all the doctors) scorned.

At one point this departmental figurehead, gets up to give a speech to some visiting dignitaries and he starts off his remarks with an attempt to sound knowledgeable: 'Tempus fidgets...' he says and all the doctors snicker.

[Ulp. Once again I am able to remember a specific scene in detail, but nothing about the title or author.. :p]

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Feliks, any guess as to when it was published? When did you read it?

message 5: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) oh, between 10-12 years ago I reckon

The blurbs on the back cover were very telling: it was remarked that the book was 'following in the line of 'Cuckoo's Nest'; that kind of thing..

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Feliks has left the group. Moving to Abandoned.