YA Bookaholics discussion

Learn About Each Other > Tell Us About Yourself - Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) So you're a Bookaholic, huh? Let the rest of the group know about your addiction by answering the following questions. :)

(Just copy and paste the questions into the comment box and then answer them.)

Favorite authors?

Favorite books?

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)?

What first draws your interest in a book?

Are there any books that have made you cry?

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great?

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Favorite authors?- I really love anything by Scott Westerfeld, John Green, Sarah Dessen, Markus Zusak, Richelle Mead.

Favorite books?-Anything by the authors above (like the Vampire Academy, This Lullaby, Dreamland, The Book Thief, the Leviathan series, Paper Towns, and The Fault in our Stars). I have too many to list so here’s the list (though it’s not updated all the way): http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/....

Favorite genres (inside or outside of YA)- I love paranormal books and contemporary the most. I often stray towards realistic contemporary (which in my terms, are books that are a lot like John Green’s and Ellen Hopkins’s books). I also have gotten into the New Adult genre lately.

What first draws your interest in a book? –Honestly, part of the reason is an interesting cover. Then I read the synopsis, and if it sounds good, and the rating is good, I’ll add it to my to-read list. I usually look for books that are over 300 pages. I’m more cautious about buying books that are short.

Are there any books that have made you cry? –The three that always stand out in my mind as tearjerkers are The Fault in Our Stars, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Mockingjay. Dreamland by Sarah Dessen always makes me sad every time I read it, but not as much as those other three.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? – Great characters, but ones with flaws, so they can grow; a great storyline that grabs my attention; any parts in a story that is relatable or can incite some sort of strong reaction from me (unless that is disgust, then it isn’t good); humor, laughs, comic relief, sarcasm; something that I can learn about (like about the culture or a moral message).

message 3: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Jessica  (stuckinotherworlds) | 858 comments Mod
Favourite authors? Cassandra Clare, Rachel Hawkins, Rachel Vincent, Julie Kagawa, P.C Cast and Kristin Cast.

Favorite books? Well I usually love a book and then finish it and love the next book. But I absolutely LOVE the TMI series, the ID series, House of Night series, Iron Fey series, Hex Hall series, and the Shadow Falls series.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Supernatural/ Paranormal genre. Books with the vampires, angels, werewolves, fey and other things like that.

What first draws your interest in a book? It has to have some humour.
Some love romance thing going on whilst there's danger. Someone who finds out what they are. Basically the TMI series.

Are there any books that have made you cry? My dad bought me Marley and Me and I cried like crazy. :'(

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Has to be funny, with a hot guy in it. Lots of danger and mysteries. That's pretty much it.

message 4: by Sydney (last edited Mar 14, 2013 10:23PM) (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Favorite authors? My favorite authors are J.K. Rowling, Cassandra Clare, Because Fitzpatrick, and Gregory Maguire.

Favorite books? My favorite books are The Harry Potter series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series, Hush, Hush saga, Anna Dressed in Blood, Divergent, Mythology, Beautiful Creatures, The Wicked Years, and Fablehaven.

Favorite genes? My favorite genres of books are fantasy, paranormal, and drama(would that be considered a genre?), and sometimes mystery. Plus, I always love books with romance.

What first draws your interest in a book? The thing that draws me most to books are the covers. O spent a five extra dollars on a book last week because I liked one cover better than the other.

Are there any books that have made you cry? I don't think there are many books that have made me cry. I do remember, When I was 13 I cried my eyes out (at 3 a.m.) reading the final Harry Potter.

What do you look for most in a book? I love books that make me feel emotional by the end. If I don't feel happy, sad, shocked, etc., by the end it probably won't end up on my favorites list.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Favorite authors? My favorite author is Jennifer L. Armentrout, Richelle Mead, Cassandra Clare, Lauren Kate, Becca Fitzpatrick

Favorite books? Right now I have to say the Lux series every since I read it it has stuck with me and I can read it over and over agin and it never gets old

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Paranormal romance or just paranormal works too

What first draws your interest in a book? It was somthing my mother and I shared since before I can remember

Are there any books that have made you cry? of course the Lux series

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? first of all I have to have fantasy and paranormal then I like when there is something going on all the time I don't like to read a book that takes 2 pages to describe the scenery I like a book that has all the emotions in it when I tell you about a book I like I say I laughed I cried and I smiled

message 6: by Jennie (last edited Mar 15, 2013 10:36AM) (new)

Jennie (jenniebean25) Favorite authors? Lauren Oliver, Veronica Roth, Kelley Armstrong to name a few...

Favorite books? So far I'd have to say... Divergent Trilogy, Darkness Rising Trilogy, Delirium Trilogy and Matched Trilogy.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? I'm pretty open to any genre as long as it is action packed with a little bit of romance.

What first draws your interest in a book? As I said in the question above, action and romance!

Are there any books that have made you cry? I haven't read any terribly sad books that have made me cry but I have wanted to cry when I finish some books and am left begging for more lol

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Romance (simple yet realistic), action that keeps me thinking "OMG" and "What is going to happen next!?), humor and books which chapters are not incredibly long like 50+ pages.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Chocolatethunda wrote: "Favourite authors? Cassandra Clare, Rachel Hawkins, Rachel Vincent, Julie Kagawa, P.C Cast and Kristin Cast.

Favorite books? Well I usually love a book and then finish it and love the next book. ..."

I also look for some sort of romance in a book. It always makes the book more interesting.

message 8: by Jessica , Proud Bookaholic (new)

Jessica  (stuckinotherworlds) | 858 comments Mod
I totally agree! Romance always makes it more interesting!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Favorite authors? Jk Rowling, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins, Cassandra Clare, Veronice Roth and Pittacus Lore are my top six

Favorite books? The books written by them

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Fantasy, dystopian, steampunk, scifi

What first draws your interest in a book? The blurb or the cover, or if someone awesome has told me about it

Are there any books that have made you cry? Mockingjay, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Fast plotline, interesting and slightly confusing, interesting characters, etc

message 10: by Rissa (last edited Mar 29, 2013 02:23PM) (new)

Rissa (rissatheeighthborn) | 265 comments Favorite authors? Tamora Pierce, Patricia Briggs, J.R. Ward, Brent Weeks, J.K. Rowling,Brigid Kemmerer, Makoto Tateno.

Favorite books? Anything in the Protector of the Small series. Lover Revealed, Spark, the Yellow series and Under Grand Hotel.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal works and drama.

What first draws your interest in a book? The cover will get my attention first. Then I read the blurb.

Are there any books that have made you cry? A manga called "Knight in the Area."

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? A well rounded lead, distinctive personalities, romance, conflict and a strong plot that pulls me into the story and leaves me wanting more. It has to be a book I put down and later feel like I was watching a movie or living the book.

message 11: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Favorite authors?
Cassandra Clare, Stephanie Meyer, Richelle Mead, Veronica Roth, James Patterson, Maria V. Snyder, and Andrea Cremer. But believe me, there's more.

Favorite books?
List them? I don't think I'd be able to, but I do like Shatter Me, the Mortal Instruments series, Harry Potter (actually, after the eighth time reading them, I got sort of bored), Nightshade series, Vampire Academy and Bloodlines, Twilight and The Host, and I think I'll stop there, yeah?

Let's see, I usually look for YA romances, fantasy, dystopia, some science fiction, paranormal stuff, and that sort of thing.

First? Usually the narrator's attitude. I like something snappy and sarcastic, though I'll go for innocent and clear-minded, which is usually what you're gonna get with the stuff I read.

YES. Let's see. I cried when Dobby and Fred (or was it George) died in HP, I cried in the Host, and Touch of Power, and plenty others. No one knows better than me what it's like to cry over a book in the middle of Geometry. I am so glad my teacher didn't notice.

Like I said, the narrator's personality, originality (as of magical creatures), the quality of the romance, and definitely what feelings the book conveys. And, of course, the plot has to be sensible and complicated, though not overly complicated.

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) I'm reading Shatter Me right now, and I love it so far. And I also like snappy and sarcastic. A lot of my favorite books are like that.

Finally, another person that has cried while reading many books. I'm not alone!

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Favorite authors? Pseudonymous Bosch, Cornelia Funke, C.S. Lewis, Suzanne Collins...etc

Favorite books? These:

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Fantasy, Dystopian, Adventure...more fantasy =)

What first draws your interest in a book? The plot and characters, other than the writing :)

Are there any books that have made you cry? SO MANY lol XD

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? It should have EVERYTHING. The book should have the power to make you laugh out loud, as well as break your heart...okay too much, it should make you cry too :) ANd Make you think. Wonder, ponder, explore life... :)

message 14: by Aly (new)

Aly (thelittlelibrarian) Favorite authors?
Sawyer Bennett, Addison Moore, Scott Westerfield, Libba Bray, Lauren Kate, Tahereh Mafi, and Michelle Hodkin

Favorite books?
the Uglies Series, Divergent series, the Gemma Doyle trilogy, The Mara Dyer series, Celestra/Countenance, Montana Sky

New Adult, dystopian, fantasy

the plot and characters, also the tone of the book

Oh my gosh yes! I've had a ton!!! I'm kinda a sap haha! I don't know how I ever finished The Fault in Our Stars, I cried so much!

a story that can get me to escape from the stress of life and make me smile, laugh, and cry! also if it can cause me to think about it for days after I know it had to be a great book!

message 15: by Jay (last edited Apr 05, 2013 02:08AM) (new)

Jay Favorite authors?
Michael Grant,Suzanne Collins,Cassandra Clare,Darren Shan,Neal Shusterman,Rachel Hawkins,Rick Riordan,Simone Elkeles,C.C.Hunter,Mike Mullin,J.K. Rowling,Veronica Roth,Jay Asher,Beth Revis,Kimberly Derting,Julie Cross,Marie Lu,Kristen Simmons,Michelle Hodkin,Lissa Price,Andrew Fukuda,Anna Banks,Anne Greenwood Brown,Josephine Angelini,Kendare Blake,Sarah J. Maas,Katie Mcgarry,Brodi Ashton,Elizabeth Richards,Alexandra Bracken,Lex Thomas,Ellen Oh,Elsie Chapman,Shannon Messenger,Gretchen Mcneil,Michael Scott,James Patterson,Veronica Rossi,Jennifer Rush,Laini Taylor,Amanda Hocking,Julie Kagawa,Stephenie Meyer,Robert Muchamore,Anthony Horowitz,Tahereh Mafi

Dystopia
Characters
Hunger Games,Nobody but us
Great Characters

Favorite books?

Ten  by Gretchen McNeil I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga Black City (Black City, #1) by Elizabeth Richards Fear (Gone, #5) by Michael Grant Let the Sky Fall (Let the Sky Fall, #1) by Shannon Messenger Dualed (Dualed, #1) by Elsie Chapman Everbound (Everneath, #2) by Brodi Ashton Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon, #1) by Anna Banks Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1) by Anne Greenwood Brown Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) by Tahereh Mafi Breaking Point (Article 5, #2) by Kristen Simmons Mind Games (Mind Games, #1) by Kiersten White The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Vortex (Tempest, #2) by Julie Cross Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2) by Veronica Rossi Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook Touched (Sense Thieves, #1) by Corrine Jackson The Prey (The Hunt, #2) by Andrew Fukuda Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) by Josephine Angelini

Sarah of Westhaven (SarahofWesthaven) | 4 comments Favorite authors? Suzanne Collins, Cassandra Clare, James Patterson

Favorite books? Hunger Games series, Mortal Instruments, Percy Jackson series, His Dark Materials series

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction

What first draws your interest in a book? I like fantasy mixed with the real world, something scary, kids

message 17: by Marleigh (new)

Marleigh | 11 comments Favorite authors? John Green, Jodi Picoult, Cassandra Clare, Sarah Dessen, J.K. Rowling, Veronica Roth.

Favorite books? Mortal Instruments Series, Hunger Games trilogy, Harry Potter series, Infernal Devices Trilogy, Divergent trilogy

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Adult, Classics.

What first draws your interest in a book? The cover. I know that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but if the cover isn't pretty I most likely won't pick it up. But then I look at the title and if the title is pretty awesome then I might read a little bit of the first chapter and decide from there.

Are there any books that have made you cry? Oh yeah definitely. I can't really remember right now what ones they were, but I know there have been ones that I've cried over.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? I think the writing style is important. If an author doesn't have an interesting writing style or if there are tons of mistakes in the book, that sort of throws me off. But I also look for plot and character growth.

message 18: by Perenelle (new)

Perenelle | 250 comments Favorite authors? Rick Riordan, Cassandra Clare, CC Hunter, JK Rowling, Julie Kagawa, Marie Lu, Amy Plum, Veronica Roth, Aprilynne Pike, Libba Bray, Obert Skye, Lisi Harrison, James Patterson, Michael Scott, Karsten Knight, Lisa Mantchev, Lesley Livingston, Maggie Stiefvater, and many moreeee~

Favorite books? Oooh boy, look at my book shelf

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Historical fiction, mystery, mythology, YA xD, paranormal, etc

What first draws your interest in a book? If the author is the same as another series I loved, the cover, the blurb, and recommendations

Are there any books that have made you cry? Sadly, New Moon... um, Anne of Green Gables, Beautiful Redemption, The Help, Prodigy, Clockwork Princess, etc. Can't really remember...

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? THe characters, the story plot, and the writing style. Also, if the characters are relatable

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara (belletara) | 6 comments Favorite authors? Charlotte Bronte, Marie Lu, Veronica Roth, and Robin McKinley

Favorite books? Divergent, Jane Eyre, First Date,The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Historical fiction, romance (well, what did you expect!?)

What first draws your interest in a book? Good reviews, and generally the first sentance of the summary

Are there any books that have made you cry? not really... I hardly ever cry

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? A strong female lead character, very few plot holes (though I can make exceptions if I really like the characters), and some romance as long as that's not the entire premise of the story

message 20: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey dossa (mrs_lopez2011) | 6 comments Favorite authors? Cassandra Clare, Allyson Noel, Patricia Briggs

Favorite books? The giver (Louis lowry), Clockwork Prince, Hush Hush series, Confessions of a midwife

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? i love supernatural or mind benders

What first draws your interest in a book? The cover; than the inside flap :P

Are there any books that have made you cry? Not really

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? There has to be just the right amount of action (supernatural), romance (will and tess) and mystery to make it worth it! I love books that have a twist in it or make you think!!

message 21: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 3 comments Favorite authors? J.K. Rowling & Cassandra Clare

Favorite books? Harry Potter series (my whole childhood), Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices, Angelfall by Susan Ee, and The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Fantasy for sure.

What first draws your interest in a book? I have a tendency of judging the book by its cover. I like cool covers. Cassandra Clare's books have my favorite covers so far.

Are there any books that have made you cry? Harry Potter did just simply because it ended. My childhood was pretty much just me waiting on the next book and while waiting I would read the whole series all over again. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher got pretty close to making me cry though. I don't normally read those types of books but this one kind of pulled me into them.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? I love it when characters surprise me. Yes, there are predictable moments, but on those occasions where I'm wrong about what happens.. I love it. I want the author to throw me into a new world that enchants me and keeps me on my toes. I don't want to be able to guess what's going to happen next. Surprise me.

message 22: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Alyssa wrote: "Favorite authors? J.K. Rowling & Cassandra Clare

Favorite books? Harry Potter series (my whole childhood), Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices, Angelfall by Susan Ee, and The Iron Fey series by Ju..."

I agree. I love being surprised with those jaw-dropping moments in some books.

Thirteen Reasons Why is a really great book. I'm pretty sure it made me cry.

message 23: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Lawrence (lorettalawrence) | 98 comments Favorite authors: J.K Rowling, Anthony Horowitz, Rick Riordan, Casandra Clare and Eoin Colfer, Suzanne Collins

Favorite books: HARRY POTTER SERIES (duh), Mortal Instruments, A Christmas Carol and Percy Jackson

Favorite genres (other than just YA books): Romance and Fantasy

What first draws your interest in a book: The blurbs and the title

Are there any books that have made you cry: I cried at the end of the last Harry Potter and I also cried at the end of Oblivion (by Anthony Horowitz)

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great: The main characters! I just love the feeling when I can understand them or get them. I also love unexpected plot twists and a quick pace that drags me in completely.

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie Boord (katieboord) | 28 comments Favorite authors: Rick Riordan, Shannon Hale, Cornelia Funke, J.K. Rowling, Gennifer Albin.

Favorite books: The Percy Jackson series, the Harry Potter series, Reckless, and Crewel.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books): Fantasy, for sure. Also science fiction. Some dystopia is okay, but it really depends on the book itself.

What first draws your interest in a book: The cover, title, and synopsis.

Are there any books that have made you cry: It's really hard to make me cry with a book. But I cried during one scene in Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great?: An interesting world, good writing and great characters. I especially look for good characters. If the characters aren't good, I usually lose interest pretty fast. Also unexpected plot twists! If you can catch me by surprise, I'll read your book.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma (emma_reader) | 77 comments Favorite authors?

I like Scott Westerfeld, C.C. Hunter, Rowling, Cashore, Lowery, Cinda William Chima, etc.

Favorite books?

The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore are a few that I enjoyed reading. I like too many to have a favorite!

Romance (not the cheesy kind!), Sci-fi, action, fantasy, paranormal, DYSTOPIAN!!!

The cover says a lot. I usually judge a book by it (shame on me!), but of the covers crap, I don't have high expectations for the book and won't buy it. Another thing I look at is the genre. If I see horror, I turn and run the other way. But I NEVER read the back anymore. Sometimes, they spoil part of the book.

A Dog's Life, Harry Potter #7, Mastiff, and a whole bunch of others :(

Oh jeez. The main character can't be a cry baby, know-it-all snot. The guys have to be REAL (like, not just a "hot" "perfect" guy. He should have flaws too). No cliche plot lines. And physical/mental challenges for the caves gets to overcome. So none of that Twilight nonsense.

message 26: by Emilie (last edited May 26, 2013 02:56PM) (new)

Emilie Favorite Authors?

Francine Pascal, Christopher Pike, Sarah Dessen, Maggie Stiefvater, Jennifer Bosworth.

Favorite Books?

The Host, the Fearless series, Thirst series, What Happened to Goodbye, This Lullaby, Hunger Games trilogy, Struck, Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy, Scorpio Races.

Favorite Genres?

Romance, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal. Add romance to any of these and it works for me.

The cover and spine for sure. If the cover is ugly then there is no way that I am even going to read the summary, therefore no way I'll read the book. And then there's the title, a catchy title is a must-have for me because the name'll stick in my head and keep me thinking about it until I cave and read it!

The Host, What happened to goodbye (although i think those were angry tears), and a BUNCH of others (I'm a baby for print!)

What do you look for most in a book?

Some sort of love plot but not one that's like super cheesy and overly touchy. Intresting characters that don't make me want to go and shoot the author for non-creativity and stupidity. The main guy has to have some sort of back story that makes him scarred and not perfect. The characters have to have real thoughts and not like completly logical "kill that person because it's for the greater good" thoughts. The people need obstacles for them to overcome.

message 27: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (avidereader) | 9 comments Favorite authors?
I like so many books written by so many different people that it is really hard to decide. Usually, I just search for books that peak my interest. However, I will read anything that Rick Riordian writes. I used to love Carl Weber and Mary Monroe, but I kind of drift from that genre in recent years.

Favorite books?
The same with the authors, there are way too many to choose from. My favorite is always the current book I am reading. At the moment, it is Dreamless.

Dystopian (is that even a genre??), fantasy, books by African american authors..

Honestly? The cover! I know they say never judge a book by it's cover but I am guilty as charged! I am a neat looking cover, and really, if the cover doesn't draw me in I don't even bother to read the summary.

Black Beauty. I read it long, long ago and I remember getting so emotional over it that I actually threw the book across the room!

Action and Adventure! Also, books that make you think and wonder about the character.

message 28: by roshay (new)

roshay (sadderdaze) Favorite authors?- J K Rowling

Favorite books?- Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)?- Dystopia!!

What first draws your interest in a book?- Cover, description, genre

Are there any books that have made you cry?- YES.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great?- Hmm, a great heroine. :)

message 29: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 80 comments Favorite authors?- Gordon Korman, Lois Lowry, Gary Paulsen

Favorite books? The Giver, Incarceron.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Dystopia, survival stories

What first draws your interest in a book? The premise.

Are there any books that have made you cry? Plenty, including Divergent and Love Aubrey

A neat premise and enough contractions to make the dialogue seem real.

message 30: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Keeler (priscillakeeler) | 5 comments Favorite authors? Terry Pratchett, George Martin, Tad Williams, Clamp, Peter Beagle, LJ Smith, Laurel K Hamilton.

Favorite books? Anything and everything by Terry Pratchett. The Last Unicorn, Tailchaser's Song, The Forbidden Game.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? scifi and fantasy

What first draws your interest in a book? friends suggestions

Are there any books that have made you cry? Hunger Games that was sooo depressing.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Captivating characters, unpredictability, surrealness, and humor.

message 31: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Priscilla wrote: "Favorite authors? Terry Pratchett, George Martin, Tad Williams, Clamp, Peter Beagle, LJ Smith, Laurel K Hamilton.

Favorite books? Anything and everything by Terry Pratchett. The Last Unicorn, Tail..."

I love humor in books too. :)

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Just hopping by topics on my phone to draw attention . . .

message 33: by Damini (last edited Sep 05, 2013 09:02AM) (new)

Damini Favorite authors? Paulo Coelho, John Green, Cassandra Clare, Khaled Hosseini, J.K. Rowling, Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay, Narayan Sanyal.

Favorite books?

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #1-3) by Cassandra Clare
And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Easy by Tammara Webber

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Thriller, Romance, Memoir, Psychology, Sci-fi, Science, Mythology.

What first draws your interest in a book? The synopsis given at the back side of the book, recommendation of others and of course good reviews.

Are there any books that have made you cry? So many.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Something unique. And the characters, the story line should both be realistic.

message 34: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) A lot of books have made me cry too.

message 35: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaalexis) Favorite author- Darren Shan!
Favorite books- CIRQUE DU FREAK SERIES OH MY GOSH and Demonata.
Favorite genres- Fantasy, Horror, Scifi.
What draws your attention to a book- The writing on the back. Normally, a book will have a short plot description on the inside of the front cover and a strong quote on the back. These quotes really help me find books I love.
What books made you cry- I was crying at the end of the last Cirque Du Freak. I am completely in love with that series and I always choke up in the end, no matter how many times I read it.
What makes a book great- Suspense, Description, Characters that you can love (even if they are evil), Unexpected details and twists.

message 36: by Riya (new)

Riya Favorite authors? Markus Zusak, Orson Scott Card, Marie Lu, Kristin Cashore, etc.

Favorite books? The Book Thief, The Kite Runner, Ender's Game, Legend, Jasper Jones, Graceling

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Fantasy, Scifi, Dystopian, Thrillers/Mysteries

What first draws your interest in a book? Plot synopsis, if it seems interesting I'll read it :)

Are there any books that have made you cry? The Book Thief, The Kite Runner- both made me bawl my eyes out for ages!!! And my eyes welled up in Prodigy...

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? For me it's two things: You of course need a great plot, if the plot's bland I won't jump in. Plot is definitely a huge aspect of reading for me. Most importantly though is characters. If I finish the book without falling in love with a few characters you're not getting above 3.5 stars. To be my REAL favorite though, you have to be a tragedy. Don't know why, but those are always my favorites :P

message 37: by Lade (new)

Lade Tawak (deaduramilade) | 112 comments Favorite authors?
a lot. Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti, Dean Kootz and Meg Cabot have permanent spaces in my heart

Favorite books?
a lot. books by the authors above

chick lit, horror, humour, romance, memoirs

a weird/interest title or fun cover

yes

being able to relate to the characters even if I don't like them

message 38: by Catharine (new)

Catharine Stephens | 2 comments Favorite authors? Suzanne Collins

Favorite books? The Hunger Games but now I'm reading the Divergent series and it's giving it a run for its money

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? I like mystery too but Y.A. is #1

What first draws your interest in a book? A good plot. A good book had to have an engaging plot

Are there any books that have made you cry? not yet

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? I already said this: good plot. But, aside from that... It has to have a strong main character

message 39: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 21, 2014 10:05PM) (new)

Rebecca | 2 comments Favorite authors: Cathy Glass,Casey Waston,P.C Cast,Jodi Picoult and Karen Kingsbury

Favorite books: Night Circus,House of Night, Carer stories by Casey Watson and Cathy Glass plus many more

Favorite genres (other than just YA books): Romance,fiction,fantasy,some non fiction and many more. However I don't enjoy horror books

What first draws your interest in a book: When I first pick up a book I always go for the cover and then I go straight for the synopsis on the back of the book. If it doesn't intrigue me I most likely won't buy the book. A engaging plot line is always intriguing I want to be totally captivated by the book and fall in love with the characters.

Are there any books that have made you cry? My sisters keeper has definitely made me cry same with one of the House of Nights hook because when a beloved Character was killed you just feel like you lost a friend.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great: Good plot line and a character that I can connect with on a personal level.

message 40: by Damini (new)

Damini Totally agree with you on the last one, Becca! It makes a better connection with the story itself.I haven't read Night Circus, probably I should try soon.

message 41: by Riya (new)

Riya You definitely should- The Night Circus is truly amazing!!!!

message 42: by Damini (new)

Damini Alright, I'll read ASAP! :D

message 43: by Riya (new)

Riya I hope you like it :)

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (pettith) | 3 comments I am a very boring person when It comes to questions so don't expect much...

Favorite author: John Green

Favorite books: TFIOS, Hunger Games, Speak, Shatter Me, Forest of hands and Teeth, The selection, pretty much a lot of books are my favorite.

Favorite genre: science fiction

What draws me into a book: The first page has to instantly be so amazing I can't put it down after I read it

Books that make me cry: only 2, TFIOS and Allegiant ( I'm not ashamed)

A great book: ones that have symbolism and make you think about your life and what it really is all about

message 45: by Damini (new)

Damini John Green is my favorite too! And so is TFIOS! :)

message 46: by Kessa (new)

Kessa (Skittles4life) | 9 comments Favorite authors? OH MY GRAPES! There are just so many but i will only name a couple. James Patterson, Gina Damico, Suzzane Collins, Roald Dahl, Andy Griffiths and Megan Crewe.

Favorite books? Give up the ghosts, The Hunger Games trilogy, The Maximum Ride series (not the anime one), The Croak Trilogy, Just Shocking and Matilda.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? I really like fiction because it's better than the reality. So I like sci-fi, adventure, fantasy and children books. (I use to read to my little cousins but I just ended up reading it to myself)

What first draws your interest in a book? I am disappointed to say that I actually do judge a book by it's cover =(. Honestly, if someone does not put effort into the cover I am going to think that they didn't put an effort into the story. I also look for a interesting title and first couple of chapters.

Are there any books that have made you cry? YES! OH THE FEELS! I think I cried in most of the books I have read because all good authors kill off my favorite character D=. Nice job Suzzane KILLINGS! You made a little girl cry. Sometimes I cry just because they have extremely good grammar.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Originality.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I love ya harry potter and jk Rowling her books are amazing

message 48: by Greis (new)

Greis (greisless) Favorite authors? J. K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Anthony Horowitz, Ally Carter, Libba Bray, Meg Cabot, L. M. Montegomery, Rachel Hawkins

Favorite books? Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Gallagher Girls, Heist Series, Seraphina, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, the Book Thief

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Fantasy and adventure and sci-if

What first draws your interest in a book? Is it by J. K. Rowling and the cover

Are there any books that have made you cry? Deathly Hallows and The Book Thief

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Good writing, an interesting plot and characters, and more often than not these days, lack of romance.

message 49: by Athena (new)

Athena | 42 comments Favorite authors? Tamora Pierce, Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, Keri Arthur, and a few others.

Favorite books? Vampire Academy series, Mortal Instrument series, Graceling, Silverlock, Riley Jenson series.

Favorite genres (other than just YA books)? Adult Romance

What first draws your interest in a book? The cover or Title

Are there any books that have made you cry? several. The Sweet Far Thing, the Ranger Apprentice series(i can't remember which book exactly), the vampire academy series, the mortal instrument series.

What do you look for most in a book? In other words, what makes a book great? Action, a good Plot, a good Bad Guy, Romance

message 50: by Jacinda (new)

Jacinda (jacindadietz) Favorite authors?
John Irving (Author), F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jane Austen, Haruki Murakami, Charles Dickens, William Faulkner

Favorite books?
A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Fault in Our Stars, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, Great Expectations

I don't know if you can tell by my favorite authors, but the classics (and those who mimic the classics like Irving and Murakami). I especially like mid-late 19th century British lit and early 20th century American lit.

The cover in combination with what I've heard about it. I rely heavily on recommendations from other people to discover a great read. On my own, I'll read pretty much anything, but when discovering books at the library or book store, I tend to look at the covers first.

The Fault in Our Stars

Three things: 1) Writing quality, 2) Plot/story line, 3) Character voice. A book does not necessarily have to have all three to be great, but the combination of the three has to be balanced in a way that I can get lost in a book. If it is not well-written and the plot is weak, then I most likely will not enjoy a book. However, if it is not well-written, but the plot is amazing and the characters are unique, then I can get over the poor writing and still enjoy the book.

« previous 1