Bookworm Buddies discussion

Bookworm Chatter > doctor sleep

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i have a question about king's new book that's coming out later this year Doctor Sleep- i haven't read the shining but i did see both versions of the movie. i really want to read this new one which is supposed to be a sequel but i don't want to read the book because the movie is still fresh in my mind all these years later.

are there any differences between the movies and the book that i would need to know to read the sequel or does the movie pretty much sum it up? thanks everyone :D

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeshirk) | 556 comments The second version of the movie is truer to the book. As to being able to read Doctor Sleep without reading the shining first I don't know. I have read the book and there was a lot in there I don't remember in the movies. However I will clarify that by saying I didn't pay that much attention to the remake of the shining because I seriously dislike the actors. The original movie was my favorite and to be honest, I actually preferred it over the book.

I just read it a few months ago, and it is actually one of my least favorite King books, I have higher hopes for Doctor Sleep.

I know I probably didn't help you out at all huh. LOL

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 43 comments Can't wait for this book! I think the Shining isn't King's finest (Kubrick and Nicholson took it to awesome places) but it still certainly deserves a read. I couldn't imagine reading Black House and really getting it without having read the Talisman.

message 4: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14083 comments Mod
Rachel unlike Lee, I liked the 'true to book' version better. But I have to agree with Lee in saying the actors were not that great. Jack Nicholson made the first movie great but it was so unlike the book. But I must say I think reading The Shining would be very beneficial for you.

Tom I actually need to read The talisman and black house again myself. I dont remember much of anything from those books.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments I have yet to read Black House, but before I do I'd like to read The Talisman again because it's been quite a few years since I've read it.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom | 43 comments The Talisman is one of my all time favorites. I read it when I was a kid and it over delivered on everything I thought a good story needed. Been meaning to re-read it for a while now. I loved Black House because of the awesome Dark Tower tie in, without that it would've been good but not stellar. I think Stevie could sprinkle a little bit of Dark Tower on just about anything and I'd love it. It's like catnip for me or something

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Lol Tom well said! We should do those two as buddy reads!

message 8: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Tom I think King is awesome with tying all his stories together in one way or another. I love it too. I think it is great! And love when I find the references.

Holly I am game for this buddy read.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Awesome Janie! Sounds like a plan then. When were you thinking of starting?

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom | 43 comments Sounds awesome! I'm trudging through Last Days by Adam Nevill now and have a few other books in my backlog I promised myself I'd finish, but I am so down for another run through the Talisman. I'll let you know when I'm ready and hopefully that'll be convenient for you...

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom | 43 comments Or I'll just try to catch up to you two :)

message 12: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:04PM) (new)

Ok Tom & Holly sounds good. I have a few buddy reads coming myself so just let me know when you are ready! Should be fun!

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Sounds like a plan Tom. I have a few buddy reads that I have to get through, but I'll be game after that. Just let us know when you're ready!

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom | 43 comments Great! I'm looking forward to it

message 15: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

LOL Holly did ya see I edited mine I am laughing so hard right now.

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Lol Janie; we both just said basically the same thing! :-D

message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Lol we did it again!!!! Great minds think alike! Ha!!

message 18: by Tom (new)

Tom | 43 comments Yeah I kinda felt left out there... Lol

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Aww....it's okay Tom lol :-)

message 20: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

lol

message 21: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Haha :-D

I'm glad that everyone is in such a good mood. Does my heart good!

message 22: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeshirk) | 556 comments I just read The Talisman a few months ago, I have not yet read Black House. I know Dustin has told me a few times to read it, I just haven't gotten there yet. So many books and so little time.

message 23: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Yes Lee, exactly!!

message 24: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I have The Talisman and Black House on my re-read list... I wasn't going to do any re-read's until next year but I reckon if you all are going to do it sooner you can probably twist my arm ;)

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Haha, great Michelle! :-)

message 26: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

hehe Michelle, would loveto have ya read with us!

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel thanks for the info everyone although now i'm wondering if i should put off doctor sleep and read the talisman instead lol

message 28: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

LOL Well rach there is plenty of time before Dr. Sleep come out! So feel free to read these with us! When we get ready for them. I am sure it will be soon.

message 29: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments You do Kyle! The Talisman is my favourite :)

message 30: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yeah Kyle Sept. 24th. Hehe so exciting!

message 31: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea I think it was sposed to be Jan.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

OK, guys. I'm a King fan but not fanatic. I've read The Shining twice, the last time late last year. What all should I read before I read Dr. Sleep?

message 33: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

The Stand, Under the Dome, 11/22/63, Duma Key are also good King novels and some of my faves. I need to revisit The Stand though.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Thanks Kyle and Janie. I've read Pet Sematary, Carrie, The Tommyknockers, Rose Madder, The Stand (my fav), 11/22/63 and Duma Key. I wanted specifically to know if any of his other books relate directly to The Shining and potentially Dr. Sleep. (Or do all King's books ultimately relate?...)

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i would love to do a buddy read of the talisman with you guys but don't know if i can fit it in in the immediate future :(- either way everyone has gotten me very excited to read this book when i get the chance

is everyone going to watch the tv series under the dome? i don't think it starts until the summer but i have seen a few commercials for it

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Janie wrote: "The Stand, Under the Dome, 11/22/63, Duma Key are also good King novels and some of my faves. I need to revisit The Stand though."

janie i haven't read a lot of king books but loved the stand- also really loved the mini series- king wrote the teleplay so it followed the book- the cast was also great- gary sinise, rob lowe, molly ringwald, etc

message 37: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Ohh gotcha Terri, Now I don't think there are really any others that are directly related. There are of course references but nothing that you would have to read before Dr. Sleep.

Rachel we are not sure yet when we will get to The talisman or Black house. Just keep an eye out for this a thread when we decide to do it.

message 38: by Tom (new)

Tom | 43 comments Very much looking forward to this read!

message 39: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Rachel wrote: "is everyone going to watch the tv series under the dome? i don't think it starts until the summer but i have seen a few commercials for it "

Cool. I'll need to do a re-read.

message 40: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Mar 15, 2013 08:34PM) (new)

Rachel wrote: "is everyone going to watch the tv series under the dome? i don't think it starts until the summer but i have seen a few commercials for it
"

Rachel I am watching it for sure. It starts in June on CBS. That's all I know right now though. One of my fave King books!

message 41: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments Rachel wrote: "is everyone going to watch the tv series under the dome? i don't think it starts until the summer but i have seen a few commercials for it"

I'm going to watch. I can't freakin wait.

message 42: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Same Courtney! I am excited about it!

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel me too!

message 44: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Ooo, so very excited!!