!The Young Adult Book Club! discussion

Contemporary Books > John Green Books

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Everyone knows John Green is popular in realistic/conteomporary books! Here worte these:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Looking for Alaska by John Green Paper Towns by John Green Let it Snow by John Green

This is your time to tell us all about your John Green ramblings! What was your favorite books of his? And why do we love John Green so much? :D

message 2: by Jon, Through the Wardrobe into Narnia (new)

Jon (scottreadsit) | 110 comments Mod
John Green books are wonderful because they are honest and brutal. John Green doesn't sugarcoat things, he tells everything like it is. There is ups and downs in John Green books because that's the way life is. His characters are ordinary people who do extraordinary things. Everyone wants to be someone special and I think most readers can identify with Green's characters. Personally I love Green's books because they feature true nerds. The protagonist is always a nerdy male that I can relate to on a personal level. Woah this post came out longer than expected and very rant-like.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The Fault in our Stars is an amazing book, about real problems. I also like the title. :P Have you guys heard about the whole debate about banning the book "Looking for Alaska"? Some parent's are saying it's highly inappropriate and are trying to have schools ban it. John Green made a video on Youtube defending himself and his writing. He's awesome, totally to the point and funny.
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMPtY...

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Holly :) wrote: "The Fault in our Stars is an amazing book, about real problems. I also like the title. :P Have you guys heard about the whole debate about banning the book "Looking for Alaska"? Some parent's are s..."

Wow...I got to see this! Why would anyone judge him? He writes such amazing books!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed! They wayy overreacted. :P

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) His books are relatable and help a lot of people who read them. He changes the way we look at the world with more detail. Everyone will definitely remember him!

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Has anyone picked up The Fault In Our Stars yet? I've been debating on whether or not to read it, since there's so much new book being released this year

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green late last year, and I LOVED it so so much!!!
One of my goals this year is to read all of his books. So far, I've only read Looking for Alaska by John Green and I also really liked this one. It is his first book, and its just amazing for a debut. Not quite as good as FiOS, but still a really good read!

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Holly :) wrote: "The Fault in our Stars is an amazing book, about real problems. I also like the title. :P Have you guys heard about the whole debate about banning the book "Looking for Alaska"? Some parent's are s..."

Ridiculous, but it just makes it all the better for me then! I can add it to my banned book challenge lol!

But, seriously, when a book is banned for being "controversial" it makes me want to read it and love it all the more!

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) I definitely should pick up The Fault In Our Stars now.

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (paperbackprincess14) | 1 comments I have only read Looking for Alaska. Which book should I read next?

message 12: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) I've heard Fault in Our Stars is amazing. Still haven't read it yet... (I'm number 21 on the long list to get the book at the library)

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) I really want to pick Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska!

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) I finished Fault in Our stars and was kinda disappointed. The book has been hyped up so much, but when I read it, it felt like something was missing... John Green's writing style is pretty amazing though...

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Elizabeth wrote: "I finished Fault in Our stars and was kinda disappointed. The book has been hyped up so much, but when I read it, it felt like something was missing... John Green's writing style is pretty amazing ..."

Really? I loved it a lot. I loved the relationship aspect of the book and what the characters had to go through.

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) I did like the characters, especially Issac and Augustus, but I felt like the characters were too mature. They talked in really advanced, formal language that a teenager would never speak in. Plus I found it hard to believe that Hazels mom agreed to let Hazel go to Amsterdam with an almost complete stranger. Hazel and Augustus had barely known each other then. I did like the interaction between hazel and Gus though...

Maybe I should try another one of John Green's books...

message 17: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Elizabeth wrote: "I did like the characters, especially Issac and Augustus, but I felt like the characters were too mature. They talked in really advanced, formal language that a teenager would never speak in. Plus ..."

Augustus and Hazel were really mature the more I think of it. I think that's what made the book more serious for YA Readers too.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) I think it made perfect sense for the characters to act that mature. 1. I have known plenty of teenagers who are very book smart and like to speak like this. They like sounding all pretentious! 2. These kids are DYING. That will make anyone grow up pretty fast. They are not like normal teens!

message 19: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) Jenny wrote: "I think it made perfect sense for the characters to act that mature. 1. I have known plenty of teenagers who are very book smart and like to speak like this. They like sounding all pretentious! ..."

Yes, I've heard a lot of people make that argument that since they're not normal teens they won't talk "normal". I understand, they would be wiser and more mature, but they're aren't going to be saying metaphors or deep, philosophical quotes all the time.plus, all the characters talk like this, not just Hazel or Gus...

message 20: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Yeah, to be honest Augustus and Hazel always talked about deep topics, maybe if John Green lossend them up a bit? Like give them something to laugh about?

message 21: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) Yeah, I agree. Have you read any other John Green books? Are they better than the fault in our stars?

message 22: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Elizabeth wrote: "Yeah, I agree. Have you read any other John Green books? Are they better than the fault in our stars?"

No I actually haven't! *Cries in the corner* But I want to pick up Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns soon!

message 23: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) Yeah, they're on my to read list too. Hopefully they're better! This is a little random, but did you Know John Green has several YouTube channels? His one channel, Crash course, has been helping me with AP History this year!!! He seems like a great guy from what I've seen in his videos.

message 24: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Elizabeth wrote: "Yeah, they're on my to read list too. Hopefully they're better! This is a little random, but did you Know John Green has several YouTube channels? His one channel, Crash course, has been helping me..."

Yes! I did watch them! I actual did not know that! But they are super helpful and fun :) He's a great teacher as an author :)

message 25: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) I finally read another JOhn Green book! I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and gave it 4 stars. I didn't love it as much as Looking For Alaska or TFioS, but it was very funny and entertaining! I also really felt for the two MCs. And a very interesting concept!

message 26: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) I really want to pick that one up! I heard lots of great things about it!

message 27: by Austin (new)

Austin Mccourt | 5 comments I love John Green because of his choice of words, the way he writes is beautiful. My favourite book of his is Looking for Alaska, I cried so much throughout it.

message 28: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Has anyone picked up their own copy of the special editions of Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars?

message 29: by Ana (new)

Ana Rebizant (anarebizant) | 1 comments hey i'm new to this group and haven't got to looking through the comments and stuff quite yet, but i'm just wondering if anybody has read paper towns and can explain it to me? i'm interested in reading it but don't quite know what it's about! haha. thanks!

message 30: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Paper Towns was a great book! It was moving and had adee