The Secretary: A Journey with Hillary Clinton from Beirut to the Heart of American Power The Secretary discussion

Hillary Clinton's Sec. of State books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Braley I'll bet they are VERY biased, and do not have anything bad about her in there. I might look in the library later. I know a lot about her from secret service who worked in the White House, and she was not nice, plus Behghazi to her "what's the difference!"

message 2: by Frank (last edited Apr 05, 2013 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frank I picked it up because it was written by a Lebanese woman BBC reporter who traveled with the state departments press corp. I figured she would be pretty unbiased. She grew up in Beirut during the Lebanese war with Syria. She goes into depth about the love hate relationship of that part of the world with America. She was a teenager during that war and and had a Birdseye view of the violence. The hope of help from America for protection from Assad and the the disappointment when Reagan pulled the marines out after the bombing of their barracks .She learns from her time following the secratery how the state department really works and does a good job explaing it. She is not an American so she doesn't have to love America but I believe she comes to respect it and Clinon. You shoul read it

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat This is an interesting book, written through the lens of a middle-eastern [Lebanese] news writer. I was very interested in her viewpoint after the negative remarks made public by secret service agents [not a wonderful source necessarily, in my opinion]. As the author moves through the time of Clinton's service, she obviously comes to respect Clinton and Obama both more. She is clear regarding the necessary learning curve both of them had in their new jobs.

I was especially interested in her clear understanding of the expectations that the United States role in the world be both god-like [fix all the problems/do it now] and devil like [responsible for all things that go wrong]. This view is very clearly expressed as her own before the complex issues become clarified through the author's own experience.

Also, this book is much more readable and interesting than Hilary's own books.

Alice Faryna Agree with Kat. NIce to have the perspective of a mid-easterner. Re the Bengazhi remark, it was clumsy but not as bad as it sounded. The actual words were "At this point, what difference does it make?" reflected the insight that early on there were conflicting reports about whether this was related to a spontaneous response to a video, or a premeditated and organized assault. Those of us sitting safely at home watching TV can have no idea of having to make rapid decisions during chaotic and dangerous events. Her comment meant that once the perpetrators had been identified it was time to act and not chew over the earlier chaos. My reading of mideast history is that US embassies have often been useful targets for warring factions to distract attention away from their strategies. For all her flaws, Clinton has done a great deal to mobilize and empower muslim women. Therein lies possible progress.