What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Short story: 50s fantasy about boy born with wings

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Toby (last edited Mar 14, 2013 01:46PM) (new)

Toby | 1 comments Thirty years ago I read this story that I never forgot. Sadly I have no idea who author was. A boy born with wings is adopted by doctor who raised him by the sea. He gets married but wife has him remove wings. They regrow. Also which anthology has this?

Are short story queries ok?

message 2: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 314 comments I read this in I think a book called young mutants.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Here's the list of stories in "Young Mutants" http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?5...

One of the stories is called "He that Hath Wings" by Edmond Hamilton; a review of that story http://dr-hermes.livejournal.com/6898... suggests that it's the right one for Toby

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Misty wrote: "I think you're probably right Andy. I remember the exact story Toby is talking about, at the end of it the guy's wings grow back but they're really scrawny and weak. The ending is sad so it always ..."

I hope Toby gets back to us to let us know...

message 5: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Mar 16, 2013 06:09AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments Yup, I read either _Mutants_ or _Young Mutants_ (they have a number of overlapping stories).

I can't remember if "The Children's Room" (the story I think you're talking about) is the one about the mutants who can read a special language - and time-travelers were hunting them out, and typically got them as kids - but turns out the father of one mutant kid is a weird mutant, only able to do that reading, and is thus able to see the library and return the book his son borrowed.

I had really fond memories of "The Wonder Horse", but that was the horse-racing story. I also thought there was a 'foal with wings' story, but I'm not seeing it in the list there. But perhaps that's in/from a different collection?

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 17, 2013 05:10PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Young Mutants: for the GR link.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Toby, are you still looking for this...or was it the story linked to above?

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) moved to abandoned