Sidney Memorial Public Library discussion

General Discussion > Favorite Short Stories

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments My favorite short stories have nothing in common, but I love each of them equally. Sophie Kinsella's Changing People, which was in the collection Girl's Night In, is obviously chick lit. Then there is Edith Wharton's Roman Fever, which I read and college, and I felt like it was a such a great piece, right down to the last line. Then, despite the fact that I have already shown my dislike for science fiction, one of my favorite short stories is one. The title was The Dream, I believe, and the I cannot place the author, but I'll think of it.

What are your favorites?

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) Jen wrote: "My favorite short stories have nothing in common, but I love each of them equally. Sophie Kinsella's Changing People, which was in the collection Girl's Night In, is obviously chick lit. Then there..."

Jen, you have to remember the author of the sci-fi short story you like. I want to read it!

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) My favorite short story is The Rememberer by Aimee Bender. It's only a few pages long but is sad and full of heart and meaning.

I also really enjoy the short stories of Amy Hempel. Her prose is simple and I'm in awe at how much she can say with so few words.

James Salter's Dusk and Other Stories is book of short stories that I admire. It's a wonderful collection. In particular, "Twenty Minutes" and "Akhnilo" stand out.

Most recently, I read a collection of science fiction short stories called At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories. It's a stunning collection and probably the one book I read from 2012 that I think is the most incredibly under-appreciated of that year. It's technically science fiction but I'm not sure a reader would realize that unless they are told.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments R.A. Lafferty wrote Dream

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments Ben wrote: "Jen wrote: "My favorite short stories have nothing in common, but I love each of them equally. Sophie Kinsella's Changing People, which was in the collection Girl's Night In, is obviously chick lit..."

I have it at home somewhere. I'll have to dig through my cubby hole and find the whole collection for you.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Howard (inafrozenlake) | 1 comments My favorite short story is The Distance of the Moon by Italo Calvino (it's part of a larger collection of stories in his book Cosmicomics). It's a playful magical realist story imagining a time when the moon was much closer to earth and you could jump to it and collect "moon-milk" (the short film La Luna, which played in theaters before the movie Brave, seems to be inspired by this).

Another magical realist favorite of mine is Funes the Memorious by Borges. It's about a boy savant who remembers everything he sees down to the smallest detail. It's wonderful.

I love a lot of Faulkner's short stories, even if I greatly prefer his novels.

Also, I could read any short story by Flannery O'Connor. Some of them are very brief and ostensibly simple, but they are all colossal in scope and impact.