Clean Romances discussion

Looking For... > Romantic Suspense

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 62 comments I used to eat up books by Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and Phyllis Whitney. Can any of you suggest modern romantic suspense authors who are reasonably clean and not too graphically violent?

I have read several Christian authors like Shirley McCoy and Irene Hannon and I enjoy them. Are there others (Christian or not)I am missing out on?

They don't have to be modern either, I have enjoyed many victorian and regency suspense/mystery romances as well as you can tell by the authors above.

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments I would be interested in the historical/regency mystery/suspense romances as well :)

Which would you recommend from the authors above?

message 3: by D.D. Chant (last edited Mar 14, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 188 comments Nanci wrote: "I used to eat up books by Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and Phyllis Whitney. Can any of you suggest modern romantic suspense authors who are reasonably clean and not too graphically violent?

I ha..."

I liked The Sooner, it's Y/A but has lots of adventure, mystery and was suspenseful. Dreamspell by Tamara Leigh was also a fun book lots of suspense.

Are we allowed to offer our own stories for consideration? If so I could provide e-book copies free of charge and with no strings attached! :-D

message 4: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 23 comments How 'bout trying a new romantic suspense author? :-) My critique partner, Michelle Grey, recently released Dangerous Ally. It's getting great reviews! It's not Christian, but I would call it reasonably clean and not graphically violent.

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Ally-...

message 5: by D.D. Chant (last edited Mar 14, 2013 12:01PM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 188 comments Soph wrote: "I would be interested in the historical/regency mystery/suspense romances as well :)

Which would you recommend from the authors above?"

I love both Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt, Soph! Mary Stewart's books tend to be set in the 50's 60's and Victoria Holt's in regency times.

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thank D.D :D

message 7: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 188 comments Soph wrote: "Thank D.D :D"

Welcome! ;-P

message 8: by Yue (new)

Yue | 22 comments Similar to Victoria Holt:

-Dorothy Eden (I've read Winterwood -where the main character is a governess... very Holt-ish like- and Whistle for the Crows -which has an 'The Shivering Sands' air)

- Madeleine Brent.

- Barbara Woods: Curse This House

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thank you!

message 10: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 62 comments D.D. wrote: "Soph wrote: "I would be interested in the historical/regency mystery/suspense romances as well :)

Which would you recommend from the authors above?"

I love both Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt, So..."

Pride of the Peacock, The Shivering Sands, and The Mistress of Mellyn are some of my favorite Holt novels. I like her earlier novels much better than the ones written in the 80's. Nine Coaches waiting, This Rough Magic, and The Gabriel Hounds are some of my favorite Stewart novels. As for Phyllis Whitney, some favorites are Spindrift, Columbella, and Silversword.

message 11: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 62 comments Sakura Yue wrote: "Similar to Victoria Holt:

-Dorothy Eden (I've read Winterwood -where the main character is a governess... very Holt-ish like- and Whistle for the Crows -which has an 'The Shivering Sands' air)

..."

I have read Madeleine Brent ( Who is actually a man I hear) but her stuff is really hard to get a hold of. There is only one book in my local library system. I will give the other two a try. Thanks!

message 12: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 62 comments D.D. wrote: "Nanci wrote: "I used to eat up books by Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and Phyllis Whitney. Can any of you suggest modern romantic suspense authors who are reasonably clean and not too graphically ..."

Sure I would be interested to read new stuff but I don't have an e-reader. Maybe someday I will go forward with progress but I really love the feel of a book in my hands. I love turning the pages. So, I resist. I know I miss out on a lot of good deals this way but there it is.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks! :)

message 14: by Monya (new)

Monya (monyamary) | 61 comments D.D. wrote: "Nanci wrote: "I used to eat up books by Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and Phyllis Whitney. Can any of you suggest modern romantic suspense authors who are reasonably clean and not too graphically ..."

Catherine Gaskin! Oldie but brilliant. Love scenes only suggested, not described. She'll remind you a little of Mary Stewart.

message 15: by Jaimey, Co-Mod (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 409 comments Mod
I like Carola Salisbury but she (he, actually) is not a modern author. The Winter Bride was my favorite but The Pride of the Trevallions was also really good. :O)

His books are out of print, though, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get them.

message 16: by Jaimey, Co-Mod (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 409 comments Mod
Nanci wrote: "I used to eat up books by Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and Phyllis Whitney. Can any of you suggest modern romantic suspense authors who are reasonably clean and not too graphically violent?..."

I believe Lisa Greer fits your request. She writes now and she keeps it clean from what I understand, though I haven't actually read her books. Yet. :O)

message 17: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (eileenmueller) | 2 comments Nanci wrote: "I used to eat up books by Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and Phyllis Whitney. Can any of you suggest modern romantic suspense authors who are reasonably clean and not too graphically violent?

I ha..."

Mandi Ellsworth wrote a beautiful clean romance "Uneasy Fortunes." I'm not sure how to link her book to here. But it's on goodreads. Can anyone tell me how to link a book with the cover picture here ina reply? Do I just cut and paste the URL?

message 18: by CarolynB (last edited Mar 17, 2013 11:17AM) (new)

CarolynB (carolynlb) | 35 comments Eileen, at the top of the comment box, click on add book/author. When the search box comes up, choose book or author and then type in the name of the book or the author. A list of possibilities will come up and you choose the one you want and click add. This puts a link to either the author or the book in the comment that you are writing. If you want the book cover, choose cover instead of link.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Sleeman | 3 comments Nanci,
I just discovered this wonderful group! So glad to have found you all. I have a list of authors who write clean romantic suspense on my website www.susansleeman.com/extras/love-insp... and tons of authors you may want to try on my book review site, www.thesuspensezone.com. I also do a monthly post on my blog of the latest romantic suspense book releases. Hope this give you all some names to add to your list.

message 20: by SummerOTG (new)

SummerOTG | 3 comments Hi Nanci, Pilot Error is an action adventure romantic suspense. It's a clean romance, with minor language and minor violence. It has a strong female lead, a hunky hero, and is set in Florida's tropical heat. It's available for Kindle or as a trade paperback.

message 21: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 62 comments I love this site! Thanks for all your suggestions. I knew you all would come through for me.

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie | 32 comments Nanci, I write romantic suspense. I have a new one out called All Fall Down about a Navy SEAL whose brother is kidnapped and taken out of country. He teams up with a beautiful hostage negotiator to get his brother back, but things go from dangerous to deadly and they end up caught in the crossfire. Anyway, you can find out more about my books here if you're interested http://ldswritermom.blogspot.com

message 23: by Ms Kathleen (new)

Ms Kathleen (mskathleen) | 4 comments One of the best Christian romance-suspense novels I've read is now on sale on Amazon - LOVE'S MEMORY by Shannon O'Donnell is on SALE for only $0.99 on Kindle and $4.00 off on book price! http://t.co/hFTvzAMPZb

message 24: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Michaels | 9 comments My sweet romantic suspense, Someone to Watch Over me, is currently being offered in the Book Lovers Buffet. From now through May 3rd you can purchase it for only $0.99. Here are the links if your interested.

Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Someone-Watch-S...

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/someo...

Thanks, Taylor

message 25: by C. (last edited May 06, 2013 01:17AM) (new)

C. | 289 comments I recently read two Amish Mystery/Suspense series and totally loved them. The first books are~
Danger in Plain Sight (Hqn) by Marta Perry

Missing: The Secrets of Crittenden County, Book One by Shelley Shepard Gray

Also the stand alone~An Uncommon Grace: A Novel by Serena Miller

Anyone else love Amish fiction?

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 32 comments The sequel to my book All Fall Down has been released. It's Colby's story (the sniper on the Hostage Negotiation Team) and he tries to help his mysterious and beautiful next-door neighbor, not realizing she's wanted for questioning in the murder of a U.S. senator. Claire and Rafe do make appearances in the book and you get to find out how their romance is going though. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Ashes-Hostage-N...

message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise Moncrief | 4 comments May I suggest my romantic suspense novel Crisis of Identity. Here's the blurb...

Tess Copeland is an operator. Her motto? Necessity is the mother of a good a con. When Hurricane Irving slams into the Texas Gulf coast, Tess seizes the opportunity to escape her past by hijacking a dead woman’s life, but Shelby Coleman’s was the wrong identity to steal. And the cop that trails her? He’s a U.S. Marshall with the Fugitive Task Force for the northern district of Illinois. Tess left Chicago because the criminal justice system gave her no choice. Now she’s on the run from ghosts of misdeeds past—both hers and Shelby’s.

Enter Trevor Smith, a pseudo-cowboy from Houston, Texas, with good looks, a quick tongue, and testosterone poisoning. Will Tess succumb to his questionable charms and become his damsel in distress? She doesn’t have to faint at his feet—she’s capable of handling just about anything. But will she choose to let Trevor be the man? When Tess kidnaps her niece, her life changes. She must make some hard decisions. Does she trust the lawman that promises her redemption, or does she trust the cowboy that promises her nothing but himself?

http://www.amazon.com/Crisis-of-Ident...

message 28: by Ginger (last edited Jun 01, 2013 04:55PM) (new)

Ginger Myrick (gingermyrick) | 143 comments And here's my brand new release. Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy is actually one of my influences. Work of Art is definitely not sweet, but Jaimey Grant has pronounced it CLEAN!

Work of Art Love & Murder in 19th Century New York by Ginger Myrick

Every girl dreams of a handsome Prince Charming to whisk her away to a fairytale ending. For Del Ryan it seemed unlikely, but that’s exactly what happened.

In 1874, New York booms with prosperity and conspicuous consumption with a clear social divide between classes. Del Ryan, an intelligent and talented Irish immigrant, works as a lady’s maid for a society matron. Although plain and unassuming, she is an accomplished artist with the gift of clairvoyance. She meets Killian Arthur, a golden Greek god from a privileged New York family. Fascinated by her, Killian transforms Del into a fine lady, the toast of her new class of friends.

But things are not always what they seem. Rough Irish Jimmy Sheehan has always thought of Del as his own and warns her that there is something not quite right about her suitor. Is he simply jealous, or does he want the best for the woman he loves?

Then the fairytale takes a violent turn when girls from Del’s neighborhood start turning up dead. Del witnesses the murders through her disturbing visions and realizes that with each new victim, the killer is getting closer. Will his identity be revealed before he comes for her?

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Work-Art-Murder...

Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/work-...

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Jones (cindymjones) | 2 comments Wendy Webb is an author to check out. I've enjoyed her books lately.

message 30: by C. (last edited Sep 19, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

C. | 289 comments Cindy wrote: "Wendy Webb is an author to check out. I've enjoyed her books lately."

Her book~ The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb was a 5-star read for me!

My favorite Romantic Suspense~ A Cry In The Night by Mary Higgins Clark

The Edge of Recall by Kristen Heitzmann

Halos by Kristen Heitzmann

Justice at Cardwell Ranch (Cardwell Ranch #2) by B.J. Daniels

Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch (Cardwell Ranch #1) by B.J. Daniels

Body of Evidence (Texas Ranger Justice, #2) by Lenora Worth

Quinn (Wyoming Sky, #1) by R.C. Ryan

message 31: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Humphrey (phumphrey) | 14 comments You might like my romantic suspense, Finding Claire (Hill Country Secrets #1) by Pamela Humphrey . It is the first of a three-book series.

Here's the blurb:

She wakes up in the back of a van, and her whole world changes.

​Injured and afraid—with no recollection of who she is—she stumbles through the Texas Hill Country with a photo labeled Claire. Seeking safety, she knocks at Alex’s cabin door. He protects her, even though she stirs up memories that haunt him.

​She wants her life back. He wants to ease his guilt and will protect her even if it means risking his own life. Together they search, hoping questions will be answered by Finding Claire.

message 32: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjincali78) | 2 comments I absolutely ADORE Rebecca Deel! I found her last year. She has 2 series going right now that have several books in them. I have devoured all of them at least twice!