Rockism 101 discussion

Classic or Dud? > the fabulous thunderbirds

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (last edited Mar 14, 2013 10:49AM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments Starting out in the Austin, Texas blues scene in the mid 70s, the Fabulous Thunderbirds were led by Kim Wilson on lead vocals and harp and Jimmie Vaughan (older brother of Stevie Ray) on lead guitar. The band released two solid blues records in 1979 and 1980 followed by their album, 'Butt-Rockin' that debutted the rhythm and blues sound that would bring them to a mildly successful stint throughout the mid 80s (largely due to songs that appeared in Hollywood movies). In 1986 the single, "Tuff Enuff" was featured in the film Gung Ho and the film Tough Guys, (as was the follow-up single "Wrap It Up"). The band's music was used in another film in 1987 (a movie called Hot Pursuit) followed by "Powerful Stuff" which was used in the 1988 film Cocktail.

Jimmie Vaughn left the band in the 1990s and the Fabulous Thunderbirds brush with mild commercial success left as well.

"wrap it up":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51270i...

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit They were (are?) great. I lost track of them. I'm sure Kim Wilson is the only original equipment left on that vehicle.