100 Books Challenge discussion

Persuasion
This topic is about Persuasion
Past Group Reads 2012-2014 > Persuasion ~ April 2013

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolle (new) - added it

Nicolle | 343 comments Mod
A few of us are going to read this around April/May. Anyone feel free to join in.

Louise Oooh, I might just join in if I have time. Read Persuassion a couple of years ago when I was having a bit of an Austen binge but it's been on my 'books I should reread' list for a while now.

Carrie | 19 comments I'm in! I'm reading it right now. :)

Martha (marthas48) | 893 comments Mod
I'm hoping to start it April first, but it may be later. Looking forward to another Austen!

message 5: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) | 184 comments Mod
We should have persuasion as our group read for May

I can hold off on it. It's not like I don't have plenty of books to read! LOL

message 7: by Nicolle (new) - added it

Just starting this.

message 8: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

Nicolle....stop don't read another page! Hold on!

message 9: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

Could we have 2 book reads in April?...I know Anne of Green Gables off by heart

message 10: by Nicolle (new) - added it

OF COURSE! WHAT A FANTASTIC AND CREATIVE BRAIN YOU HAVE TERI-LYNN, SO GREAT THAT I HAVE TO WRITE IN CAPITOLS!

message 11: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

LMAO!! I thought that you were yelling at me!!! hahahahahaha!!! Glad you liked it that much!!

message 12: by Nicolle (new) - added it

:)

Frozenwaffle xD I'll join in this one also, after I finnish Anne though!

Louise Just cracked open my copy. First time I read it I was doing a proper Austen binge (all her major novels in publication order one after another) so was feeling a bit Austened out by the time I got to Persuasion. Still enjoyed it, but am interested to see if I end up liking it more rereading it now.

I've never read this one ... spacing my Austen's out some. :-) Think I'll wait until I've finished The Secret Garden.

Frozenwaffle Having finished with the lovely Anne, gonna start this one tomorrow, I think. ^^

Louise Finished my reread yesterday evening. Liked it better than I remembered so it definitely held up to a reread. Still not my favourite Austen but one I can see myself rereading again and again down the line. She's a lot quieter than most Austen heroines, at least to begin with, but I really like Anne.

Finally got round to finding the 2007 ITV adaptation on youtube so watched that as well (I thought I had it on DVD but apparently not). Is pretty good, mucks up the ending by trying to make it a bit too dramatic but Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth is pretty fantastic.

Also ordered the 1995 BBC version which should arrive today. So far I've only heard good things about it.

Louise Got my review up if anyone's interested(don't think it has any spoilers but I could be wrong).

And my BBC DVD arrived today. 1995 version is a lot more faithful to the book and definitely preserves the ending better than the more recent one, so I think I'd probably recommend this version over the ITV one (especially if you're a purist). But both are pretty good.

I own them both and enjoy them. Need to read the book. Hopefully, in the next week or 2.

message 20: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

Still waiting for a copy:(

I'm taking it with me this weekend. We're camping and I always wake up early & read. :-)

message 22: by Nicolle (new) - added it

I can't believe it's basically all down to me that we are reading this as I didn't want to go it alone, and I'm not even reading it. I'm so contrary!

I will start it this weekend. I've just been so busy. Just got home from a meeting and need to do laundry and pack tonight for our weekend of camping.

message 24: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

Wahoo!! Hope to get my copy this week!! Yea!!

message 25: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

I picked up my copy from the library today!!!

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) | 36 comments I think I'll start tonight.

I wonder how may time the women will faint?

message 27: by Nicolle (new) - added it

Oh many times Joseph I'm sure!

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) | 36 comments From another time.

The story talks of sentiments, likes, and dislikes and interactions between these young men and women. Is the word "Kiss" used at all in this book?

(My shortcoming, I often have trouble keeping track of the characters in a story)

Today in our world, is there anything remaining that can take place in private that can Not be viewed on TV?

And is it a good thing?

Joseph, I also have trouble keeping track of characters. Dickens books are a nightmare! But I love them. :-)

I don't think it's a good thing that so much can be viewed on TV. Can everything be viewed? Seems like it. Media rarely holds back or at least it seems that way to me. They keep trying to 'push the envelope' (Where did that expression originate?).

message 30: by Joseph “Millennium Man” (last edited Apr 17, 2013 01:04PM) (new)

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) | 36 comments What is better; high school with weapons and drugs being tolerated? or metal detectors, and cell phones, texting, internet, police and police searches, Oh and lawyers?

I guess if the kids aren't safe at least it will be someone else's responsibility.

may not be a fair comparison, today we would still have the cell phones and tech stuff to deal with. (I doubt we would still have the shop/vocational classes. Someone could hit their thumb with a hammer.)

"Push the Envelope" - My best guess is from the space race and may have to do with breaking through the sound barrier.

Yes, it was used in the movie 'The Right Stuff' about space. It came into existence prior to that though ... explanation looked pretty mathematical to me ... I zoned out reading about it. :-)

Looks like we're going to need metal detectors everywhere. Then they'll be using plastic guns & knives.

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) | 36 comments I got to look up the "pushing the envelope."

I loved the part of the movie where Yeager takes an experimental plane (for what appears to be a joy ride) to the edge of the Earth's atmosphere.

Realize as test pilots these guys had a one in four chance of being killed whenever they flew.

I find the future and present difficult to accept.

Everything is so superficial.

Can't live in the past.

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) | 36 comments I am becoming a bit of a post hog.

Back to Persuasion

message 34: by Nicolle (new) - added it

It's ok Joseph feel free to be a post hog. :)
I don't mind since your posts are always interesting and insightful.

message 35: by Joseph “Millennium Man” (last edited Apr 20, 2013 10:09AM) (new)

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) | 36 comments I am about up to chapter 14. So what is the story so far?

Was The Man From La Mancha a play or a novel?

Plays - I had to be guided though them in a class with a teacher.

message 36: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

Oh Man....Don't even get me started Joseph....Man of la Mancha was derived from my nemesis is reading Don Quixote....I was working on that book for almost a year and I never got anywhere with it....It drove me INSANE!!! It is a novel Don Quixote...there is the link for you to check out the book

message 37: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new) - added it

Ok...The father was an ass!!! I I am not very far into this book yet cause I don't know if I am up for a classic right now....BUT I am going to continue because it seems like such a wonderful book!!!!!

I never did get around to reading it last year, but did just finish it ... in 3 days! Loved it. I love Austen's long, well-constructed sentences. It is a delight and in a tie with me for my favorite Austen ... along with P&P.