The BURIED Book Club discussion

unBURIED Authors A-D > Alfred Döblin

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larou (new)

Larou | 21 comments Yes, I am aware that his Berlin Alexanderplatz has over 1300 ratings...
But what about his century-spanning Science Fiction novel Berge, Meere und Giganten: Roman? - 17 ratings...
Or his expressionist chinoiserie Die Drei Sprünge des Wang Lun? - 7 ratings...
Or his weird historical novel Wallenstein (which, among other bizarre things, has the emperor Ferdinand turn into a tree)? - 5 ratings...
Or his grand four-volume panorama of Germany at the end of WWI, November 1918. Eine deutsche Revolution.? - 5 ratings again...
And that for an author who is commonly counted among the most important novelists of the 20th century... Definitely time to grab a shovel and start un-burying, I say!

message 2: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Ausgraben!!!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Larou wrote: "Yes, I am aware that his Berlin Alexanderplatz has over 1300 ratings...
But what about his century-spanning Science Fiction novel Berge, Meere und Giganten: Roman? - 17 ratings...
Or his expressio..."

Do you know anything about the status of Berlin Alexanderplatz in English translation and who might be planning to reprint? I'm only able to find expensive copies and have been looking for awhile.

Or maybe an ebook in English? I recently acquired a kobo, so I could go that route...

message 4: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope | 15 comments Oh, I have my English translation of Alexanderplatz literally BURIED.. it is in storage... will have to go (different city to where I am now) and unearth it...

message 5: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope | 15 comments Jim wrote: "Larou wrote: "Yes, I am aware that his Berlin Alexanderplatz has over 1300 ratings...
Or..."

Jim, it is in French easily available...