Bookworm Buddies discussion

Buddy Reads > A Fine Balance

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Would anyone be interested in this?

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra I loved this book! I hope you get some co-readers. I'd love to revisit the book through you all.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Chuck, sounds interesting. I just ordered it from the library, not sure how long before I get it but it shouldn't be too very long.

message 4: by GeneralTHC (last edited Mar 14, 2013 08:10PM) (new)

GeneralTHC Alright Terri! BTW, have you read SHANTARAM? I thought it was amazing. I think I gave it 5 stars. Anyway, that's how I came across this one. I was looking for similar types of books and thought this one would be a great book for a buddy read if it's anything like it.

message 5: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I've had Shantaram sitting on my shelf for years but I've always been daunted by how massive it is!

message 6: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Michelle wrote: "I've had Shantaram sitting on my shelf for years but I've always been daunted by how massive it is!"

Yeah, it's a thick book, but I thought it was such a great read.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I've added Shantaram to by TBR list.

message 8: by GeneralTHC (last edited Mar 15, 2013 10:59PM) (new)

GeneralTHC I really loved it Terri. Some people find it to be melodramatic I think but it really spoke to me. I hope you like even half as much as I did.

message 9: by GeneralTHC (last edited Mar 15, 2013 09:57PM) (new)

GeneralTHC Have you read any Jon Krakauer, Terri? He is one of my very favorites. I read Into the Wild all the time. I also like Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster and Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman. The best way I could describe him is to say he shoots for the 5 star books me and you talked about before. Whether he gets there is up to you but that's the kind of material he writes, IMO.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the suggestion, Chuck. His new work is on my TBR list. I'll definitely check out some of his other stuff. I always appreciate your recommendations!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2013 03:26PM) (new)

Chuck, I've got A Fine Balance and can start it any time.

message 12: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Awesome Terri! Let's start today!

message 13: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14025 comments Mod
Have fun with it guys!

message 14: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Thank you, Janie!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 22, 2013 01:07AM) (new)

Sounds great, Chuck! I'm starting! :)

message 16: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Good deal. I like to had a fit earlier when I couldn't find my book, lol. But I found it and even got me sleep. So I'll be starting anytime now.

message 17: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'm starting Part II For Dreams to Grow.

The prologue seemed a bit out of place to me.

message 18: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Part 2 is a lot better.

message 19: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC That caste system in unbelievably moronic. I mean, some of the things I can understand--I don't agree but I can understand that someone could think that way. But some of those other things are totally absurd.

message 20: by GeneralTHC (last edited Mar 22, 2013 05:11AM) (new)

GeneralTHC How is a country that thinks like that able to build nuclear weapons? It's pretty scary if you really think about it.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Just starting Part 2. I agree that the thought of India and nuclear weapons is totally hard to reconcile. I used to think I'd like to visit India, but I'm almost embarrassed to say the reason I wouldn't--it's the lack of hygiene. Raw sewage in the streets, people defecating along the railroad tracks, the horrendous public toilets--I couldn't stand it!

message 22: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'm at 36% and not real happy about the structure of this novel. Right now it's gone into character development for Maneck. I'm hoping this will be the last time that happens and we can get on with the story.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm up to Book IV and I agree with you, Chuck.

message 24: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I haven't got much reading done lately. I'm going to try to make up for that right now. I'm currently a 42% and it's still the same thing(character development for Maneck).

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm finished. (view spoiler)

message 26: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'll be done in the next hour or two and then I'll read your spoiler. I would be finished but I got sidetracked. At first I was thrown off by these huge digressions into character development but apparently that's the nature of literary fiction. It's more about the characters than the plot. That takes some getting used too. I thought it had gotten pretty good for awhile. Contemplating all the horror that some people live really puts thing in perspective. Some parts are just too unrealistic, though, .e.g, the part with Rajaram stealing hair from people and Dina relenting about Om starting a family and living on the porch. I just don't know about that. I like reading about life in India, though. I think I'm going to read The White Tigernext.

message 27: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC It was dumb for the tailors to go back to the country. If their government really treated them that way more people need to know about it.

message 28: by GeneralTHC (last edited Mar 25, 2013 10:00AM) (new)

GeneralTHC I could discuss certain parts of this book all day. I think there was a lot of really moving stuff in there. In the end I just felt that some of it was just too ridiculous, so I gave it 3 stars. I would rate it at about 3.6 or maybe slightly higher if I could but I can't give it 4. I don't think it even comes close to SHANTARAM.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Makes me think I definitely need to read Shantaram!

message 30: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I think you should. It supposed to be based off a true story, I think.