I Love Canadian Authors discussion

Steve Vernon
This topic is about Steve Vernon
We'd like to know you! > Any Torontonians out there???

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Vernon (stevevernon) | 38 comments I’m going to be in Toronto and Thunder Bay this May for the Forest of Reading Festival. It’s going to be one heck of a wild ride. I’ll spend the night in Thunder Bay on May 9 and take part in their Festival on May 10. Then I fly to Toronto to take part in the 2013 Forest of Reading Festival on May 16.

In between I’ll be looking for signing and reading opportunities in the Toronto area – from May 11 to May 15. I’m going to be contacting book stores about possible book signings and English teachers about possible school appearances – in fact, I may have already secured a paid school appearance.

If any of my writing friends out there know of a venue that might be looking for a world-class storytelling and writing presentation do let me know. I’m really going to be looking for an opportunity to get up and read in front of a large crowd of story-hungry spectators.

Given that I decided that today would be a wonderful morning to repost an earlier blog about making a book signing a success.

http://stevevernonstoryteller.wordpre...

message 2: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Apr 14, 2013 03:50PM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) Hello Mr. Vernon! I'm a Manitoban studying Nova Scotia for my (eventual, gradual) first novel. I love the province and of course, choose a location I've set foot on. I have your "Haunted Harbours" and two of Dr. Helen Creighton's to dig into soon.

Your newest, "Lunenburg Werewolf" is high on my list to receive as a birthday gift. I am surprised to encounter you. Coming from a childhood where one couldn't look up authors (or gothic favourites were deceased), I am glad to say "hi". Carolyn

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve Vernon (stevevernon) | 38 comments C. wrote: "Hello Mr. Vernon! I'm a Manitoban studying Nova Scotia for my (eventual, gradual) first novel. I love the province and of course, choose a location I've set foot on. I have your "Haunted Harbour..."

Hello Carolyn. Very glad to meet you. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but April and May seem to have got VERY busy for this old boy.

My latest Nimbus book is actually entitled "Maritime Murder" and is a true crime collection of nineteen historical murder stories from the maritime provinces. I don't know if you are concentrating specifically on the ghostly side of Nova Scotia but you definitely might find something of interest in that book.

Writing about a place that you've never been to can be tricky - but it can be done. Still, you ought to figure out some way of fitting a trip to Nova Scotia into your travel plans some day. I would definitely recommend the summer - as winter is too darned unpredictable.

message 4: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Apr 18, 2013 01:44PM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) Yes indeed I *did* go, in 1998, which is why it is the oceanic province I choose. When I am able, you bet your other work is on my list. It's exciting about a new one, all up my alley. I loved Darryll Walsh's book, whom you would know and think he would be pleased with my review. The work you folks do, saves tiny regional heritage from being lost. I quote myself:

"History is always at risk of being watered down by the tide of time. Paranormal events are scoffed as they occur, though as valid as any other records". C.M. Riedel
http://www.amazon.ca/review/R1XC7BUI8...

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Vernon (stevevernon) | 38 comments That's good to hear.

I've read Darryl's work and actually met him at last year's Word on the Street festival.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Douglass | 5 comments I'm a recovering Torontonian. Does that count?