You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > Suite Francaise - what did you think?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments As usual, once you have read the book can you give me a mini review here.

What I want from you guys is:

A star rating out of 5 (exactly the same as Goodreads).

and

A brief description of what you thought about the book. Good story? Interesting? Insightful? Would you read some more of the author's work? Did you learn anything from reading it. etc.

At the end of the month I will post our average rating as a group and try to sum up what we all thought.

**Please remember to give me a star rating! A few keep remembering to comment but don't give me a rating. The more ratings the better**

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments I rated this 4 Stars. She wrote such beautiful and lyrical prose with excellent character development and details that easily made you feel the constant contrasts of the time - pride and shame, victory and defeat, freedom and captivity, love and lust, courage and fear, greed and selflessness, wealth and poverty. She showed the humanization of the characters and their emotions and left me craving for more - something that we will never completely know.

message 3: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) I read this some time back and I remember the narrative to be captivating and the story to flow along. The characters were well-drawn and showed a range of emotions. I rated this story with 5 stars. Suite Francaise is a story to be savored and read slowly. You want to read each detail and think on it and not rush through - it is a journey to another time and one well-spent. The author's social commentary probably was not well-received; but, I believe, it was probably true. I can see her sitting in a field or on a park bench observing all around her and taking copious notes on her observations and then going home and writing her book.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 70 comments I read this a while ago and can remember absolutely nothing about it. I thought these discussions might jog my memory but no, they haven't. So I would have to rate this one out of five as a totally forgetable book. I remember that this is a "found" novel and the author disappeared during the holocaust, but can't even remember if that was part of the story or I am just imagining it. Nothing she wrote has stayed with me or stuck in my mind - no character names, no plot,
nothing.

message 5: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments Brenda wrote: "I read this a while ago and can remember absolutely nothing about it. I thought these discussions might jog my memory but no, they haven't. So I would have to rate this one out of five as a total..."

Well - the discussions haven't really started yet so maybe when they get going it will jog your memory. I hate when that happens - losing all recollection of something I read.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 70 comments It's good to know other people lose all recollection sometimes too. I was beginning to wonder if I have early alzheimers or something. This doesn't happen to me often enough yet so in this instance I am blaming the book for not being very memorable.

message 7: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Brenda, I know what you mean about the frustration of forgetting details, or even whole books. About 5 years ago I started keeping a log of each book I read, along with a sentence or two to jog my memory.

Since joining Good Reads, that's expanded, as I tend to write a more "proper" review, which is great for future reference, but I also get more out of books when I read them, because I'm doing so in a more analytical way.

message 8: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Just got a copy of this today.

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 453 comments Brenda wrote: "It's good to know other people lose all recollection sometimes too. I was beginning to wonder if I have early alzheimers or something. This doesn't happen to me often enough yet so in this insta..."

I made it 3/4 of the way through a book onetime before it started to sound familiar and then I realized I had already read it! and you know, I can't remember which book it was now. That must be one forgettable book that obviously looked intersting if I picked it up twice! LOL

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 453 comments I give this book 5 stars because it was beautifully written, was thought provoking, and the appendices at the end put everything into a different perspective. I think it is an important book. I think the author was able to accomplish what she set out to do (at least in the parts that were written).

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandyh) | 37 comments I have given this book four stars. I really enjoyed reading it , but found the second section rather too pedestrian after the faster moving "Storm in June".
It was really thought-provoking, since the appendices at the back of the book gave a really good insight into what was going on around the time that the book was being written. It really is a tragedy that Irene Nemirovsky was not able to complete her sequence of "Books".
I shall definitely be looking out for some more books by the same author.

message 12: by Cyd (new)

Cyd | 20 comments I gave the book 5 stars. She was a remarkable wordsmith and I'm sad she couldn't finish it. In her notes she says "Oh God a thousand page novel" I would have happily kept reading. I've read a lot of books about this war. This was one of the most touching.

message 13: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments Cyd wrote: "In her notes she says "Oh God a thousand page novel" I would have happily kept reading. I've read a lot of books about this war. This was one of the most touching..."

I agree completely - not at all your expected book set during WW2. I kept waiting for all the themes I was used to reading in books/viewing in movies - then realized they weren't in these pages and this perspective was really interesting.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) I gave it a 4. I dunno why I knocked off the one star other than it just didn't blow me away. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but It wasn't one of those books that after I put it down I had to stop and breath for a few moments just too mull it over. I haven't had one of those in a long long time.

message 15: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Cyd wrote: "I gave the book 5 stars. She was a remarkable wordsmith and I'm sad she couldn't finish it. In her notes she says "Oh God a thousand page novel" I would have happily kept reading. I've read a lot o..."

Cyd: I wish she had not died before the other two books had been written. I could read this book all day long and still find something new.

Have you read Fire in the Blood? It is another recovered novel. I have this book and would love to read it; but, it's packed away and must wait until probably September. Maybe in September, we could read it together.

message 16: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (last edited Apr 26, 2009 12:06PM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I rated this book 4/5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. When I found out it was about WWII I wasn't so sure. But as I began to read it I realised it was something special and this was before I'd discovered the story behind the story.

The story behind the book is extremely sad and is what makes this book so special. Nemirovsky writes about the Germans with such compassion that it makes it hard to believe that they were the reason she never completed it.

message 17: by John (new)

John | 5 comments 4/5

"The story behind the book is extremely sad and is what makes this book so special. Nemirovsky writes about the Germans with such compassion that it makes it hard to believe that they were the reason she never completed it."

That sums up my sentiment completely. I'm delighted I found out about Némirovsky; so thanks to this group for informing this discovery!

message 18: by Cyd (new)

Cyd | 20 comments Hi Wanda, I got caught up in the Rose of Sebastopol post and hadn't visited this discussion in a while. I haven't read Fire in the Blood. That sounds like a good plan for September. I will add the book to my TBR shelf so I don't forget. I was even more upset when I read that she had been dead for a while and her husband was stiil trying to have her released. I don't cry very often w/ books,( last time was The Book Thief) I did cry when I read this.

message 19: by Wanda (last edited May 07, 2009 01:29PM) (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Cyd wrote: "Hi Wanda, I got caught up in the Rose of Sebastopol post and hadn't visited this discussion in a while. I haven't read Fire in the Blood. That sounds like a good plan for September. I will add the ..."

It was hard to keep your emotions in check with this book, Cyd. I will mark my calendar for September, too. Oh, wait a minute -- how about October now? I have another book scheduled for September - so October?

message 20: by Cyd (new)

Cyd | 20 comments October is good.

message 21: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Cyd wrote: "October is good."

Thank you so very much, Cyd.