What's 812 Reading? discussion

March > 3/14: Characterization

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 43 comments Mod
Using one characterization strategy (words/thoughts/actions/appearance/ background/etc), identify something important you learned about a character (motivation, trait, conflict, etc). In your topic sentence, state the text information, strategy used, and what you learned. Then, follow the standard reading response checklist.

For a “4”: Did I….
• Write a topic sentence that provided the title, author, and genre of my text?
• Provide context of what is happening in the text, so my reader understands what I’m talking about?
• Find a direct quote from the text that proves my idea?
• Thoroughly explain the significance of my quote/how it proves my idea?
• Check for correct punctuation and spelling?

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan (ivanski711) | 30 comments In the OUTSIDERS my main characters name is Sodapop, and i use his backround,appearence to identify something important such as he is most loved by his little brother pony boy. Pony discribes him to be handsom.. movie star handsom, with light brown eyes and long silk hair that is comed back , and is slim compared to the others in the gang. from all of this i have learned that Pony boy loves him the most and that he picks up alot of girls,and that he really takes care of Pony boy and shows alot of love towards him.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 43 comments In the realistic fiction book, The Outsiders by S.E Hinton, my main character's name is Johnny. The story so far starts off with Ponyboy, the narrator of the story. He just got beaten up by the Socs, a bunch of rich and popular kids that lives on the west side. On the other hand,he is a member of the Greasers, a gang that lives on the east side of town. There are many members in this group. They are Two-bit Mathews, Dallas Winston, Sodapop, Darry, and Johnny Cade. Johnny Cade is the weakest of the gang members, he got beaten up by the socs, and it wasn't amusing to look at. In the text, before he got beaten up, Ponyboy states,"I had never been jumped, but I had seen Johnny after four Socs got hold of him, and it wasn't pretty." (4). This quote shoes a very important part in the story since it obviously shows a little bit of Johnny's personality. Since the fight wasn't pretty, that means that he got beaten up pretty badly and couldn't fight back. Therefore, this shows that Johnny is a weak person. It also states that he was afraid of his own shadow after that. Thus, this makes me feel that Johnny cannot change himself into a better person after his first beat-up by the Socs.

message 4: by Elva (new)

Elva C. | 40 comments In the realistic fiction book, The Outsiders by S.E Hinton, my character is Johnny. In the book, the narrator, Ponyboy got jumped my the Socs, who are these people who are the elite, and they live on the west side. Ponyboy is a "greaser," who are people who have long hair and they use grease to put their hair in one position. Ponyboy also introduces us characters. Johnny, one of the character that Ponyboy introduces is one of the greaser gang. When Ponyboy got jumped by the Socs, he remembered the time where Johnny got jumped. His face was all bruised up, and was even crying, and Ponyboy knows that it is hard for someone to make Johnny cry. In the book, Ponyboy says, "...his face all cut up and bruised, and I remembered how he had cried... it took a lot to make him cry" (4). This quote shows Johnny's personality. Johnny is not very emotional. It took a lot for Johnny to cry, even though he gets abused by his father. And when he got jumped by the Socs, he cried. This meant that getting jumped by the Socs impact him a lot.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 33 comments In the realistic fiction book The Outsiders by S.E Hintion, my character is Darry. I used his actions describe him. Ponyboy the narrator gives Darry a bad look. Ponyboy describes him to be a mean no loving person who doesn’t care about anybody else. From Ponyboys explanation of him he thinks that he is a very mean person so I have now learned from all of this that Darry is overprotective and doesn’t want to lose Ponyboy because he said that if one of them get caught with the police they won’t be living together so I Think that Darry is just overprotective.

message 6: by Trinity (new)

Trinity Burgos | 31 comments In the realistic fiction book The Outisiders by S.E Hintion, my character Darry. I used his personality to describe him. So far in the book the main character Ponyboy Speaks of him as a very serious person, someone who doesn't really have a sense of humor, which makes him seem like someone who has lots of thought instead of actions. The most important thing I learned about him was that he was very protective over his brother Ponyboy. Ponyboy sates,'' And I can't call the cops because you two would be put in a boys home so fast it would make your heads spin'' ( ). This quote shows that Darry is very overprotective of Ponyboy and his other brothers, it also shows that he is a very responsible older brother.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

In S.E. Hinton's realistic fiction book "The Outsiders", my character that I need paid some extra attention to is Johnny. Starting off the book, Ponyboy is trying to explain the situation in the book and like giving an introduction to the book. Ponyboy explains that he is a greaser and that he has a group of people that is with him which are also greasers. Ponyboy's brothers Sodapop and Darry needed to stay out of trouble so they could live together because they're parents passed away awhile ago. However, trouble couldn't be avoided sometimes because they're enemy group Socs kept starting fighting or harassing one member of the greasers. Johnny was one member that Ponyboy explained about. As from Ponyboy's words, I believe Johnny is a teenager that stays brave, but doesn't seem to get the attention. In the book on page 11 and 12, Ponyboy stated, "He was the gang's pet, everyone's kid brother. His father was always beating him up, and his mother ignored him..." This shows that Johnny was a brave guy. Johnny was the one who was often beat by the Socs and always beaten by his father. Johnny somehow survives the pain physically and mentally. Johnny was also not getting the attention. Johnny's mother always ignored him and he was the gang's pet. That means Johnny doesn't ever get to end up on the high rank and people don't accept him. This is what I learned about Johnny's acts by other's words.

message 8: by Steven (last edited Mar 14, 2013 08:10PM) (new)

Steven Lin | 27 comments In the realistic fiction book The Outisiders by S.E Hintion, my character Dally. I use his actions and background to describe him. His background is that he is the toughest in the gang. He is told that he went to jail, and he is the best fighter. He has white-blond hair and icy blue eyes. He is described to look really cold and does not care or hate about any but the Socs. By his actions, Dally does not put grease on his hair. From Ponyboys explanation of him I think that Dally is kind of a outsider from the gang because he comes from a different place, and he dose not put grease on his hair while the rest of the gang does.