The DeFranco Book Club discussion

No Country for Old Men
This topic is about No Country for Old Men
No Country For Old Men > No Country for Old Men

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brevemike | 9 comments One of the most pointless books I've ever read.
No quotation marks, how the hell are you supposed to follow the dialogue?
Unbelievable characters, one dimensional. There's no emotional connection, no reason to care about any of the characters or what happens to them.
Rather like watching grass grow, it just happens.

I suppose the book was a rather long winded and violent exposition of the inevitability of change. Waste of time.

message 2: by Kristen (last edited Mar 14, 2013 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristen Sorrell | 6 comments I listened to it on an audiobook while I was driving, and that helped keep it moving. Some of the reader's characters had similar voices, and I had a hard time with the transitions. I feel like you had to get pretty far in to the dialog to catch the clues in order to understand who was talking. I've also seen the movie. I didn't really remember it, but every once in a while I got an image from the movie, so that helped a little, too.
I agree with you about the long winded aspect, especially at the end. I felt like it was a little too drawn out and preachy. I think my favorite quote from the book is where it says, "You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from." I feel like that was a better synopsis than the entire last chapter to prove the point that the author was trying to make.

message 3: by Monts (last edited Mar 14, 2013 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Monts (mutdmour) | 16 comments I hate to agree (because I had high expectations for this book) but I was very disappointed with the story too. The set-up was so good it could have turned out a much better story. The characters were so interesting. But even Moss's death did not hurt as much as it should have. Wells, the one character I was excited about, died too soon. The Sherrif never interacted with Chirguh (I just spent a minute trying to remember his name and I finished it last night). The plot-line was simply disappointing. I left the book feeling empty, unlike the last few books I read which filled my head with ideas.
The conversation were very hard to follow. But otherwise, the writing was beautiful. The philosophical ideas were interesting. How do people deal with their own death? I tried to think about it while I read Carla Jean's reaction, but I just avoided thinking about it. The theme of madness versus insanity was also quite interesting. Chirguh was mad but listening to him talk, everyone else sounded mad. He was almost philosophical. I wanted to see him face to face with the Sherrif, to hear them talk about right and wrong, God, etc, maybe with them holding guns against each other running in circles. But since Bell has nothing to do with anything in the plot, Bell is just plain boring.

message 4: by Joseph (last edited Mar 15, 2013 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joseph Whitt (schmoterp) In a word......why? Actually, to be honest I was enjoying the book right up until the time Moss died. The author's incredible attention to detail just ended. It was necessary to describe exactly how people were sitting and looking out at the environment but when it came to the final meeting of two main character there is nothing to say?

From the moment we learn of Moss's death, the reader is on the fast track to the end of the book only to be stopped by a diatribe from a retrospective, remorseful, retired sheriff.

If the goal was to show that all hope is lost then perhaps the goal was accomplished, but I found the ending was more or less the solution to a lazy author who was tired of writing without quotations - and quite frankly, I was tired of reading without 'em.

I think the movie version portrayed the story much better than the book - not something that happens every day.

Eliana Lima SNORE. This book was so disappointing! D: I've never read a "western" style book and this wasn't exactly a good introduction to the genre. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking "show, don't tell!" The majority of the book was written like "he did this, and then he did this and then this happened". That kind of writing is so dull and does not hold my attention AT ALL. I look books that go into the characters minds at least a little bit but this book was mostly action-based. It made the characters seem flat to me. The only thing I sort of liked was that the author played with formatting. The book was in third AND first person and he also utilized dialects pretty well. The no-quotation mark thing was a little questionable though. Sometimes I had a hard time keeping up with conversations and forgot who was talking. I thought I would like that the book was partially about a serial killer because serial killers are fascinating (Devil in the White City anyone?) but NOPE. I found him pretty boring and he didn't have much dialogue or many "scenes" that stood out to me. I can already tell that I will like the movie better than the book because the book was written like a movie! At least the movie will probably have some interesting visuals and good acting.

message 6: by Amy (last edited Mar 19, 2013 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Baines (amybaines) | 14 comments I have to say, I really liked this book! I know that a lot of you had problems with the writing style, (very sparse punctuation), and I did for the first few pages, but after that I hardly noticed it. As for the slow pace, I thought it was leisurely. It didn't really detract from the story for me, but rather made it a nicely paced walk instead of the full-tilt run I'm used to.
I thought that Chirguh was a really interesting character, and I would like to have known more about him. Some interaction between him and the Sheriff would have been great.
Overall, I have to say I liked the movie a little better than the book, (which is extremely rare!), but the book was pretty decent too. I'm a bit sad that more people didn't like it.
Oh well, on to the next one!

message 7: by Ryan (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryan Dunk (dunkryan) | 22 comments I had read The Road before and definitely did not like it, so I don't know exactly why I thought this book, which didn't win a Pulitzer (although I have no idea why anyone thought the former was deserving of it) would be any better. I gave up about 100 pages in when I decided I had better things to read. I thought Blood Meridian might be worth a look as it has so much note as well, but if these serve as a guide, I should stay far away. It feels to me like he's just a boring writer with nothing to say. It was a good movie, but the book was not worth my effort to finish.

Rachael Guerrero | 10 comments I enjoyed The Road much more. I really liked the Moss story line but found the first person dialogue of the sheriff boring. After Chigurh's accident I lost all interest in the book. I skimmed to the end just to get it over with. I did not have a hard time following the dialogue as some did. The absence of quotation marks did not hinder me much. I had to reread a few sentences to regain the line of talk, though.

message 9: by Rafael (last edited Mar 29, 2013 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rafael Dominic (tervalentfrog) | 6 comments Almost completed the book, damn I'm late. This book took longer than usual to read. I enjoy crime fiction or historical fiction mostly, something where you keep all the facts in your head and it keeps you thinking, tests your memory. God! I felt like this book was long winded and mildly interesting. I still don't understand what Moss was trying to accomplish, he should have taken his wife and ran as far as he could. Slowly set up in another state, slowly launder the money.

But no..... He wanted to split up and go looking for a fight. Death comes naturally to this man at this point.

I think I missed the moral of the story, somewhere in all of that philosophical rhetoric.

Update: I just finished reading it, and I can tell you that it gets better. There is a certain beauty to the writing, boring, but beautiful. (God damn I sound stupid)