YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Book Suggestions > What is your favourite apocalyptic/Dystopian fiction novel?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Henry I'm fairly new to the Genre and have only read a few dystopian. Well, only the Hunger Games and Feed by Mira Grant. So just a few suggestions would be good

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (plethoraa) | 1 comments Divergent by Veronica Roth :)

message 3: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Logan's Run for being the B-novel fun it is,,,1984 is the father of them all though. The ending never fails to piss me off :) I think one of the reasons I started to write was to prove Orwell wrong, to prove that in all doom and gloom the happy ending was a possibility - it is possible to struggle against a system and win, even if you are the slave of the system. The integrity of the most authoritarian regime depends on the loyalty of the oppressive structures and the fear of the ordinary citizens. Either of those can be confronted.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 2 comments I have read many, and have loved many. The one that haunts me is the Life as we knew it trilogy.

message 5: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Here are my all time favorites: The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany I would ditto David's three choices. Some others you might try:

Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

message 7: by Amanda (last edited Mar 14, 2013 08:58AM) (new)

Amanda (amonika) I agree with

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

I would also add Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Hollowmen (The Hollows, #2) by Amanda Hocking Eden by Keary Taylor Exceptional (Exceptional, #1) by Jess Petosa Solstice by P.J. Hoover Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick

Eden was really good and is being made into a movie. With that, the author is actually pulling the sales of this particular version and releasing a trilogy around this book. I believe this book is now called "The Bane - Book 1 in the Eden Trilogy" and has some new content in it.

message 8: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 1 comments "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank.

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika | 5 comments 1984

message 10: by Sandra "Jeanz" (last edited May 19, 2013 11:39PM) (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" | 51 comments I've just finished reading the Eden's Root Series and have to say I have loved this series, am just sad to realise it's the end :/

Eden's Root (Eden's Root Trilogy, #1) by Rachel Fisher Seeds of War (Eden's Root trilogy #2) by Rachel Fisher Emergence (Eden's Root Trilogy #3) by Rachel Fisher The Blight (Eden's Root Trilogy, #0.5) by Rachel Fisher

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna The Uglies Series!!!!!!

message 12: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) I quite liked those too :)

message 14: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments The Hunger Games and Unwind are my favourites of all time, but I've read some great books recently. Here are some of my recent finds.

Dystopia: Exalted (Exalted, #1) by Tara Elizabeth Fire Country (The Country Saga, #1) by David Estes After the Fear by Rosanne Rivers Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young

Post-Apocalyptic: Quarantine The Loners (Quarantine, #1) by Lex Thomas Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole Sovereign (Sovereign, #1) by E.R. Arroyo The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Johnson | 9 comments Under the never sky & Through the ever night......

message 16: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Cheer wrote: "The Hunger Games and Unwind are my favourites of all time, but I've read some great books recently. Here are some of my recent finds.

Dystopia: Exalted (Exalted, #1) by Tara Elizabeth [bookcover:Fire Countr..."

Aww thanks! I can't believe Fire Country made your list! Thank you :)

message 17: by Bret (new)

Bret Wellman I recently read The Stand by Stephen King and I have to say that this is one of the most detailed post apocalyptic books I have ever read.
It spends a good six hundred pages fallowing the slow breakdown of everyday life caused by a flew that eventually kills 99.3% of everybody.
The rest is about traveling to a safer place and rebuilding under the threat of a tyrant.

i have never seen another post apocalypse book paint a better picture than that one did.

message 18: by Jonnah (new)

Jonnah (jonnigirl96) | 2 comments There is a new book that was just released called Ions Echo.... It is post-apocalyptic but also sorta medieval... I have read it and I really really really loved it! It is really well written and has plot twists!! My older brother thinks it is almost as good as the Divergent series, and better than The Hunger Games series! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H...

message 19: by Daibidh (new)

Daibidh | 9 comments It's very hard to chose my "favorite." I like many for very different reasons. I'm also a connoisseur of bad campy sci-fi so if I happen to enjoy a premise, it doesn't mean it was necessarily a good read.

That said, a recent read does stand out as both unusual and thoughtfully crafted: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. I enjoyed it because it successfully pulls off a non-linear format. Its main "plot" is really one of many sub plots comprising a very character focused human story. Missing are the usual formulaic literary conventions with most everything having some sort of resolution with a major cliff hanger. Even when she does conclude a plot element, if focuses more of the characters themselves. It's not a harrowing adventure... but a deep meandering exploration of living when survival isn't enough.

message 20: by Hbomb (new)

Hbomb Yes Bret! The Stand is AMAZING. I feel like so many people don't bother with it for it's sheer size but it's thrilling from beginning to end. Love it.

message 21: by Daibidh (new)

Daibidh | 9 comments I'd only seen a few bits and pieces of The Stand mini-series on television and found it flat. I thought I'd give the book a try due to this thread. The main characters have just left their prospective locations and are on the move in their depopulated world. Wow! So far it's pretty damn awesome! I'm not much of a fantasy fan so I'm curious how King will handle the religious elements.

message 22: by Katie ® (new)

Katie ® | 2 comments I just love Breeder (Arrow's Flight, #1) *Currently Free which is free! And i love The Archer! These are must reads. I believe you will absolutely love them!

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marie | 2 comments I agree that Breeder (Arrow's Flight, #1) *Currently Free by Casey Hays is amazing. Definately nothing like I've read before. Another you might like is How the Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah Brownlee . Another great one!

message 24: by Grace (new)

Grace Crandall Fahrenheit 451 is just an awesome classic, in my opinion. Also really enjoyed The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black, and Skies of Dripping Gold by Hannah Heath :)

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol | 7 comments The After/Life by Vardan Partamyan and David Moody's Autumn series are brilliant reads. The Stand by Stephen King is also a brilliant read.