The BURIED Book Club discussion

MacDonald Harris
This topic is about MacDonald Harris
unBURIED Authors E-J > MacDonald Harris

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mala (last edited Mar 14, 2013 02:45AM) (new)

Mala | 146 comments Writer suggestion by courtesy of friend Jason.

MacDonald Harris: From Wikipedia-
Donald Heiney (pron.: /ˈhaɪni/; September 7, 1921 - July 24, 1993) was a sailor and academic as well as a prolific and inventive writer using the pseudonym of MacDonald Harris for fiction.
Heiney was born in South Pasadena, California, and grew up in South Pasadena and San Gabriel. He served in the Merchant Marine and the Navy during World War II and afterward earned a B.A. from University of Redlands. He joined the faculty of University of California, Irvine in 1965 and later co-founded UCI's writing program. One of his students was Michael Chabon, who later won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
Publishers Weekly has described his work as "known for...metaphysics, hints of magic and the absurd, and a profound preoccupation with the duality of human nature", and the Chicago Tribune Book World called him "a gifted craftsman, a meticulous writer whose powers as a story teller are as compelling as the sexual tensions he imagines."
His novel The Balloonist, published in 1976 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, tells the story of a polar expedition, similar to and possibly inspired by the real journey made by S. A. Andrée. The Balloonist was nominated for the National Book Award in 1977. It was reissued in 2011 by the UK publisher Galileo and in 2012 in the USA by The Overlook Press, with a foreword by Philip Pullman and positive reviews from The Guardian, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post.
He received a 1982 Award in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences for his entire body of work. In 1985 his novel Tenth earned him a Special Achievement Award from the PEN Los Angeles Center.
Heiney died in 1993, at age 71, at his home in Newport Beach, California.

The Wiki doesn't provide more details of his work.

This is a good source for neglected writers:
The Neglected Books Page » Blog Archive » Mortal Leap, by MacDonald Harris
http://neglectedbooks.com/?p=206

MacDonald Harris and the Utopia of Imagination: Remembering, Celebrating a Writers' Writer - Orange County - News - Navel Gazing

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing...

From Goodreads:
MacDonald Harris
Average rating 3.79 · 101 ratings · 35 reviews · shelved 447 times

Showing 19 distinct works:

The Balloonist
3.76 of 5 stars 3.76 avg rating — 41 ratings — published 1976 — 9 editions

Mortal Leap
4.48 of 5 stars 4.48 avg rating — 23 ratings — published 1964 — 3 editions

Hemingway's Suitcase
3.75 of 5 stars 3.75 avg rating — 8 ratings — published 1990

Yukiko
3.71 of 5 stars 3.71 avg rating — 7 ratings — published 1977 — 3 editions

A Portrait of My Desire
3.0 of 5 stars 3.00 avg rating — 7 ratings — published 1993

The Little People
2.5 of 5 stars 2.50 avg rating — 4 ratings — published 1986

The Cathay Stories and Other Fictions
4.0 of 5 stars 4.00 avg rating — 2 ratings — published 1988 — 2 editions

Screenplay
3.0 of 5 stars 3.00 avg rating — 2 ratings — published 1982 — 2 editions

Tenth
2.5 of 5 stars 2.50 avg rating — 2 ratings — published 1984

Trepleff
5.0 of 5 stars 5.00 avg rating — 1 rating — published 1968 — 2 editions

The Treasure of Sainte Foy
4.0 of 5 stars 4.00 avg rating — 1 rating — published 1980 — 2 editions

Bull Fire
4.0 of 5 stars 4.00 avg rating — 1 rating — published 1973 — 2 editions

The Carp Castle
4.0 of 5 stars 4.00 avg rating — 1 rating — published 2012

Glad Rags
3.0 of 5 stars 3.00 avg rating — 1 rating — published 1991

Pandora's Galley
0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 avg rating — 0 ratings — published 1979 — 2 editions

They Sailed Alone: The Story of the Single-Handers
0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 avg rating — 0 ratings — published 1972

Private Demons
0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 avg rating — 0 ratings — published 1961

Glowstone
0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 avg rating — 0 ratings — published 1987

Herma
0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 avg rating — 0 ratings — published 1981 — 2 editions

message 2: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Ali I read that his books are available only through libraries & second-hand book shops as they are out of print. Even Amazon sells only a selected numbers of his books.
Where did you get your books from?

message 3: by Garima (new)

Garima | 78 comments Thanks Mala! Jeffrey introduced us to this writer with his review of Mortal leap and I was trying to recall his name for this group.

message 4: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Mike Puma reviewed that too! Already added to my TBR shelf.

message 5: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Enrique wrote: "Never heard of MacDonald Harris -- and he practically lived in my own backyard. Thanks for all this information on him, Mala. Into my book hunting notebook he goes. See if I can find some of his..."

Sorry for replying late,Enrique- this comment didn't show in my notifications,just saw in email updates!

I do hope you dig out his books & then tell us what are they really like ( quality-wise). I was wondering if a writer gets buried just cause of reader apathy-lack of publicity or sometimes rightly so- cause the work isn't really worth bothering with!? But we'll have to read those buried books in order to decide that,no?

message 6: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Mike,would you mind sharing your Mortal Leap review here? Thanks.

message 7: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments And perhaps someone will tell us the story of those initial stages of the unEARTHing of Mortal Leap. Of it's 23 ratings and 16 reviews, all 16 would seem to have been written no earlier than April 2012, those reviews of brian and proustitute. But that is not quite correct since those are the dates of the most recent review revising and Rod's would seem to actually have been the first and his reading was back from April 19 to 29, 2011. So was there a slow moving stack of domino's bringing this Harris back to life? Story anyone?

message 8: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Mike wrote: "If I remember correctly, (and there's not reason to believe that I do) Rod's review generated a lot of interest because the book was well-reviewed and OP--the hard-to-gettedness caused a flurry of used copy-buying and reviewing. "

Credit where due. The BURIED Book Club hereby fully and duly acknowledges the CONTRibutions of Sir Rod.

message 9: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments B0nnie wrote on Mike's thread that she'd be willing to share her epub copy but where's she?Bring her back,pls!

message 10: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Mike wrote: "If I remember correctly, (and there's not reason to believe that I do) Rod's review generated a lot of interest because the book was well-reviewed and OP--the hard-to-gettedness caused..."

Mala wrote: "B0nnie wrote on Mike's thread that she'd be willing to share her epub copy but where's she?Bring her back,pls!"

Somebody say my name? I apPRECIate the acknowledgement accorded to me by Nathan "N.R.".

I've got the EPUB copy that Bonnie sent to me, and I also converted it to MOBI (Kindle) format as well.

message 11: by Garima (new)

Garima | 78 comments Rod wrote: "I've got the EPUB copy that Bonnie sent to me, and I also converted it to MOBI (Kindle) format as well. "

If it's not too much to ask for then can you please share the epub copy with us, Rod?

message 12: by Rod (last edited Apr 11, 2013 03:38AM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments [Message removed by Amazon Legal Department]

message 13: by Garima (new)

Garima | 78 comments Thanks Rod!

message 14: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Thanks Rod but pls put those links within spoilers– Gr helps in selling books,I hope you don't get into trouble!

message 15: by Garima (new)

Garima | 78 comments Or, he better delete his comment and whoever wants the copy, message him directly, like Bonnie mentioned in her comment.

message 16: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments If Rod doesn't get to read these comments then NR,as moderator can edit/delete as per his discretion,I hope.

message 17: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments If anyone cares to spend $40 on a beat-up paperback copy of Mortal Leap, there's one available.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD...

message 18: by Garima (new)

Garima | 78 comments Ali wrote: "as for the sharing, Bonnie has given out an EPUB of Women and Men publically without anything happening. I suspect no one cares enough about the pirating of either harris' or McElroy's books to go after ebook-sharers."

I got this: We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 2 comments Rod wrote: "If anyone cares to spend $40 on a beat-up paperback copy of Mortal Leap, there's one available.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD..."

Well, that disappeared quickly.

message 20: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Ali wrote: "Putting the links in spoiler tags won't hide them from webmasters or anyone with authority, only readers of the site who can unhide them any time. As for the sharing, B0nnie has given out an EPUB o..."

Ok Ali,you are the authority here in all 'e' matters! It was good to read your looong comment after a long while :-)

message 21: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Rod wrote: "[Message removed by Amazon Legal Department]"

Ha ha,Rod you are funny! Btw, what's your new profile pic abt,I'm not sure but (view spoiler)

message 22: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments Daniel wrote: "Well, that disappeared quickly."

I know, that was surprising.

message 23: by Rod (last edited Apr 11, 2013 04:32PM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments Mala wrote: "Rod wrote: "[Message removed by Amazon Legal Department]"

Ha ha,Rod you are funny! Btw, what's your new profile pic abt,I'm not sure but [spoilers removed]"

I wondered if anyone would fall for that; I guess not.

The photo is of Albert Vigoleis Thelen, author of The Island of Second Sight, a BURIED treasure for sure.

message 24: by Rod (last edited Jul 05, 2013 06:51PM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments I've written to a couple of publishers such as NYRB and Dalkey to feel around and see if they had any interest in reissuing Mortal Leap. I saw a post yesterday by Goodreads member Moira regarding Pharos Editions, and they sounded right up this book's alley, so I dropped them a note. The reply was not only prompt, but heartening.

My email:

I wanted to call to your attention a remarkable novel that has been out of print for four decades, Mortal Leap by MacDonald Harris. A mini-resurgence has occurred on Goodreads, with members buying up the remaining available online copies, causing the availability to virtually dry up. There is one copy that is floating around from friend to friend, giving people who can't find a copy the opportunity to read it. It is well overdue for a reissue. Philip Pullman is a MacDonald Harris fan, so he would be the ideal candidate to write an introduction.

Philip Pullman essay on MacDonald Harris:

http://normblog.typepad.com/normblog/...

Goodreads page for Mortal Leap:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

Thanks,
Rod

The reply:

Rod
Thanks for the recommendation. Our official approach is to line up contributors and have them make the selections but we will reach out to Philip Pullman and see if maybe we can influence his choice.

Harry K, Pharos Publisher

message 25: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 2 comments A little surprisingly, there is actually a kindle version of his book Screenplay available now on Amazon for $4.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Screenplay-a-no...

message 26: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments Daniel wrote: "A little surprisingly, there is actually a kindle version of his book Screenplay available now on Amazon for $4.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Screenplay-a-no......"

Yes, Galileo also recently reissued it in paperback. http://www.amazon.com/Screenplay-MacD...

message 27: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Rod wrote: "I've written to a couple of publishers such as NYRB and Dalkey to feel around and see if they had any interest in reissuing Mortal Leap. I saw a post yesterday by Goodreads member Moira regarding ..."

Thanks Rod. That's called the power of Goodreads– I've noticed that my copies arrive earlier than expected when I mention Gr in my special instruction note to the vendor!
Also thank you once again for sharing the ebook with readers here. (Although I'm surprised to see that no new reading & reviewing of this book has occured here. I'm guilty of that myself but that's partly cause both yourself & Mike Puma have written such consummate reviews that I feel,I'll have nothing new to add!).
I recently left a comment in the Rules & Regulation thread regarding circulation of ebooks amongst the BBC members so that the group could act as a circulating library of sorts– no response so far!
Maybe most BBC members are reading only hardcover/ paperback edition- easy when you have access to all those library sales!

message 28: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Mike you can do it! Don't we all look at our book inventory & feel glad– having them is almost like reading them!

message 29: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments At a certain point, I try to stop myself. In general, I'm not allowed to own more of any author than twice the number of theirs I've read.

message 30: by Rod (last edited Jul 16, 2013 08:24PM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 27 comments As far as I know, I am a completist in collecting all the editions of Mortal Leap. Yes, this was actually possible to do at one time in the not-too-distant past.