Of Mice and Men Of Mice and Men question

Injustice
Amber Amber Mar 14, 2013 12:20AM
What type of injustice is in the book in your opinion, and do you know of any books that relate to the injustice seen in 'Of Mice and Men'???

The injustice i can see in the book of Mice and Men is that George had to be the one to shoot and kill Lennie. Curley was going to severely punish Lennie when i think that Lennie was innocent. I don't think he had any malicious intent on killing Curley's wife. George knew of the consequences of punishment by Curley to Lennie, so George had to take action and kill a person he cared about, that's injustice to George.

Monty J (last edited Mar 14, 2013 12:35AM ) Mar 14, 2013 12:35AM   0 votes
Racial injustice > Crooks is shunned, called nigger, and not allowed in the bunk house. He's also threatened with hanging by Curley's wife.

Curley - abuse of power > physically bullys Lennie and other men, taking advantage of his power over them as the owner's son.

Curley's wife - abuse of power > emotionally bullys Lennie, Candy and Crooks, taking advantage of her power over them as wife of the owners' son.

Feliks (last edited Mar 14, 2013 10:35AM ) Mar 14, 2013 08:28AM   0 votes
Do you mean injustice or unfairness? Or perhaps just inequality? I don't necessarily see what any of the characters did to each other as unjust. No laws are broken when you emotionally browbeat someone.

Actual criminal deeds: two murders in the story--neither of them being followed up on with arrest, scrupulous application of civil rights; prosecution or trial. Was it right for Lenny to be hunted down like a mad dog after what he did to Curley's wife? Shouldn't he have been properly apprehended, charged, tried, and perhaps placed in a home? The law might have said so; but the law might also have hanged him. Neither option would have been acceptable to George.

Steinbeck shows us --with his art--that sometimes things happen in real life which are 'right' or 'wrong' in ways that a legal system can't encompass.

The way George chose to handle Lenny's fate--was that legally right? Should he go unpunished? Any man present at the scene might have felt in his heart that what George did was correct. The law probably wouldn't have; it could be described as 'unjust' that the law was not allowed to 'take priority' over events; manage the outcome.

Technically--it is a kind of 'injustice' in that 'justice was not applied'. But if it had been applied-- it probably would not have seem right to us, as human beings, had we been there. George was Lenny's closest companion--it was fitting that he take the responsibility.

In a larger sense: the unjust circumstances which put George and Lenny in their strained situation in the first place. Doesn't seem fair, does it? What the ranch hands (featured in this story) faced in that era--all across the country--you could say that was both unfair and unequal. Low wages, no worker protections, poor working conditions, no benefits, near servitude. But their employers could do all this to them and still not found to be breaking any laws.

Good question by the OP.

p.s. when I speak of this story I am usually referring to the movie depiction which is what I remember most

Monty J Heying "I don't necessarily see what any of the characters did to each other as unjust. No laws are broken when you emotionally browbeat someone."

The injusti
...more
Mar 14, 2013 09:24AM · flag
U 25x33
AARIZ thank you so much, I needed this information for my assessment and it perfectly supports my opinion on the topic.
Oct 17, 2020 12:33PM · flag