New Adult Book Club discussion

Carrie Butler
This topic is about Carrie Butler
Archived- Promotional Q&A's > Q&A with Carrie Butler - CLOSED

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jessamiene) | 26 comments Wow that's an awesome timeline! Love hearing your story, especially the back story behind one of my fav blogs out there :) Can't wait to hear more!

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookiemonster83) It's nice to read about a success story! Congratulations! I just finished reading Strength, and I'm very excited to follow where the next installment will take the characters. :)

I must say, I was surprised that Christianity played a big part in your book. Do you think speaking about religious faith

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookiemonster83) Will continue to play a large part in your work? (Sorry, I accidentally pressed 'post' before I was finished)

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Jennifer wrote: "Wow that's an awesome timeline! Love hearing your story, especially the back story behind one of my fav blogs out there :) Can't wait to hear more!"

Thank you, Jennifer! ♥

Megan wrote: "It's nice to read about a success story! Congratulations! I just finished reading Strength, and I'm very excited to follow where the next installment will take the characters. :)

I must say, I was surprised that Christianity played a big part in your book. Do you think speaking about religious faith will continue to play a large part in your work?"

First off, thank you, Megan! :)

That's an excellent question. I should probably preface my answer by saying Wallace is one of the most complex characters I've ever written. I never planned for him to be religious, and I certainly don't write preachy novels, but I felt like he would seek a means of atonement for what happened seven years ago. Campus Fellowship became a safe place for him—a place where he could take refuge in something greater than himself (and his bloodline). When he shared that with Rena, he opened himself up to her for the first time.

That, and I love to mess with people's preconceived notions. *grins*

Moving forward, Wallace's faith will be more subtle. I mean, we'll see some characters from Campus Fellowship again, but I don't anticipate any scenes involving a church service. The tie-ins will involve questions of morality, especially as the war escalates. I hope this helps!

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian Palmer (briancpalmer) Hi Carrie! Excellent timeline. It's nice to see another NA Alley person in the group!

Did you know from the start that this would be a series, or was it a growing realization as the story went along? I'm in the middle of a series with a co-writer and we knew from day one that it would be one, but I'm always curious to know if other authors knew from the beginning or if the characters in the story had to sort of convince them of the need for more than one novel to be written.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookiemonster83) Thanks! You did mess with my pre-conceived notions. :D

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Brian wrote: "Hi Carrie! Excellent timeline. It's nice to see another NA Alley person in the group!

Did you know from the start that this would be a series, or was it a growing realization as the story went along?"

Hi, Brian! Why thank you. :)

I had a feeling the plot was a bit too complex for one book, but I didn't get a clear number until I sat down to write a loose outline. Right now, the series looks like it will include three novels and a couple of novellas that feature secondary characters.

Best of luck with your co-written series!

Megan wrote: "Thanks! You did mess with my pre-conceived notions. :D"

Yay! That makes me happy. :D

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Palmer (briancpalmer) Ah, nice. Will the novellas be standalone titles? Or will they be tied to the story, sort of like a Mark of Nexus 1.5 or 2.5 to act as bridges between the main trilogy? How exciting!

message 9: by Qeturwah (last edited Mar 14, 2013 05:12PM) (new)

Qeturwah (mintgil) | 16 comments *Does a happy dance* ! There's going to have 3 books + Novellas I think that you just made my year :D The first book in the series was just amazing so i can't wait to read what you have in store for us next Carrie :) You are one of my new fav authors for NA . Oh, i Love the NA alley blog , you'll have soo many giveaways + the interviews with the authors are great . Keep up the good work Carrie !

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Susann MacCarter | 1 comments I'm so very, very happy for your success, Carrie!! You sound so genuine and skilled, plucky and good-hearted... and very, very determined. So glad to learn that Nice Guys (i.e. Deserving Young Women) CAN Finish First. Well done you! I'm definitely signing up to read STRENGTH.

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Brian wrote: "Will the novellas be standalone titles? Or will they be tied to the story, sort of like a Mark of Nexus 1.5 or 2.5 to act as bridges between the main trilogy? How exciting!"

Great question, Brian! All of the titles in the Mark of Nexus series will be somewhat standalone, in that:

- There will be no glaring cliffhangers.

- Previous titles will not be prerequisite, though they definitely contribute to the depth of the story.

- Characters and events will be (briefly) re-introduced in each book.

That said, the novellas will focus more on how the series' events affect the secondary characters. Rather than bridge the novels, I like to think of them as adding more dimension to the series. :)

P.S. For those of you who've read Strength, I really want to write Cole's story!

Abigail wrote: "...I think that you just made my year :D The first book in the series was just amazing so i can't wait to read what you have in store for us next Carrie :)You are one of my new fav authors for NA . Oh, i Love the NA alley blog , you'll have soo many giveaways + the interviews with the authors are great . Keep up the good work Carrie!"

♥! Thank you so much, Abigail! I really appreciate that. :D

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Jane wrote: "I'm so very, very happy for your success, Carrie!! You sound so genuine and skilled, plucky and good-hearted... and very, very determined. So glad to learn that Nice Guys (i.e. Deserving Young Women) CAN Finish First. Well done you! I'm definitely signing up to read STRENGTH. ..."

That is so kind of you, Jane. ♥ Thank you very much!

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Palmer (briancpalmer) Gotcha, Carrie. Nice! I hope that angle works out well for you, and your readers!

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Brian wrote: "Gotcha, Carrie. Nice! I hope that angle works out well for you, and your readers!"

Thank you! :)

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Cashman (megan_cashman) | 8 comments Hi Carrie! Congrats on "Strength"! As someone who also got into finally writing a novel due to a lousy job market, I wish much success! You deserve it *high fives*

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Megan wrote: "Hi Carrie! Congrats on "Strength"! As someone who also got into finally writing a novel due to a lousy job market, I wish much success! You deserve it *high fives*"

Hey, Megan! Thank you. :) I wish you success, too! *high fives back*

Faith wrote: "A lot of readers are clamoring for things that are New Adult outside of contemporary romances. What has the response been like?"

Thanks for stopping by, Faith! The response to speculative NA has been great. So many reviewers have said something along the lines of, "It's nice to see NA that isn't contemporary romance about a bad boy."

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of great contemporary romances out there that fit that description. I think people are just happy to see the category broadening a little. :)

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue Knott (sueknottauthor) | 14 comments Congratulations on your success! I see your book is selling amazingly well on Amazon for a new release. What did you and your publisher do to jumpstart sales? And, more importantly, do you know that hunky guy on the cover? :-)

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Claudy (ashleyclaudy) | 46 comments What is your writing routine? Do you write linear or do you jump around and fill in the scenes later?

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Sue wrote: "Congratulations on your success! I see your book is selling amazingly well on Amazon for a new release. What did you and your publisher do to jumpstart sales? And, more importantly, do you know that hunky guy on the cover? :-)"

Thank you, Sue! I've been very blessed. :) To jumpstart sales, my publisher and I made sure things were organized early. We got the word out via social media, I had a cover/trailer reveal with over forty of my blogging friends, we contacted select reviewers about e-ARCs, etc. Basically, we opted for a slow burn instead of a quick blitz.

Oh, and I'm afraid I don't know the guy on the cover. Maybe someday! *grins*

Ashley wrote: "What is your writing routine? Do you write linear or do you jump around and fill in the scenes later?"

1. Oh my goodness. My routine is ridiculous. I'm always writing in the middle of the night, and I just keep going until I crash. Thankfully, it makes for less inhibited scenes.

2. I do tend to jump around a bit, especially now that I'm working on the sequel. It's how I put the puzzle pieces together. :) Thanks for the questions, Ashley!

message 20: by Qeturwah (new)

Qeturwah (mintgil) | 16 comments Hey carrie i just have one more question for you :) Are you on those authors that make us wait up to 8 months or more for a new book or do you write your books quickly ? I don't want to rush your perfection ;) i was just curious ..

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieabutler) | 24 comments Abigail wrote: "Hey carrie i just have one more question for you :) Are you on those authors that make us wait up to 8 months or more for a new book or do you write your books quickly ? I don't want to rush your perfection ;) i was just curious.."

Ask as many as you like, Abigail! :) That depends. I may have this draft ready to query/submit in a couple of months, but if I get another contract, we'll have to tack another few months onto that. That allows time for cover design, content edits, copy edits, promotion, etc. I'm really, really hoping the sequel will be out this year, though!