Honorverse discussion

Are We Finished With Honor?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 41 comments Several people in reviewing Shadow of Freedom complain about how little there is about Honor herself. I have to wonder whether Honor will ever be a central character again -- at least in the same way she has been before. She is too high in rank and too immersed in politics now to ever be a frontline combatant again. Sure, she will show up, in the political discussions, but she's head of Home Fleet. She can't go out and fight battles again.

What do you think? Am I wrong?

message 2: by Caleb (new)

Caleb (calebg) I believe David Weber said as much right around the time "At All Costs" came out. At the end of that story Honor was supposed to die heroically in the First Battle of Manticore. Her children were to continue the story like 15 to 20 years later with the Torch/Mesan Alignment/Fall of the Solarian League story arc.

If my memory serves me correctly, Weber changed his mind and started that arc early because of the short story "From the Highlands" involving the Zilwicki's and Victor Cachat on Old Terra (by Eric Flint in the Honorverse Anthology "Changer of Worlds.")

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 41 comments I remember reading that. I think that's one thing that makes me suspect she'll no longer be central.

message 4: by Nate (new)

Nate (valkyriev) | 1 comments I am ok with Honor not being central anymore as long as her replacement is not a carbon copy of her. If that is the case I'd rather just more Honor and Nimitz .

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris (khf314) | 1 comments As I understand it, Honorverse has been split into 3 arcs (with a lot of spillover):

1. The original Honorverse
2. The Talbot sector stories (Shadow of Saganami) revolving around Michelle Henke and her command.
3. The Zilwicki/Ballroom/Torch stories (Crown of Slaves).

The last two published books were in groups 1 and 2 respectively, so I assume the next book (maybe this year) will in Group 3. I think we will have to wait 1-2 years for the next Group 1 story and the resumption of the Manticore/Haven/Beowulf war with the Solarian League.

message 6: by Carl (new)

Carl Bussema | 7 comments I'm not sure they're going to continue with all 3 lines. The last book did a (boring) job of bringing them all back together. Besides, the last book was supposedly a mainline Honor book, but it really fell into series 2. Maybe we see another book that's about the spies/Torch, but I think groups 1 & 2 have effectively been merged at this point.

message 7: by David (new)

David | 6 comments I wasn't sure if anyone mentioned it before i got to wondering who is the agent Beowulf has in manticore, and wouldn't it be interesting if the same agent is feeding mesa information as well?

message 8: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (ceysa) | 2 comments From what David has posted, he's far from done with Honor, Nimitz or even the Alignment or tree cats. With so many Havenites and Beowoulfans getting tree cats, he's not done. And besides he's planning on a movie with Honor. He just put out more books in his other series as well.

message 9: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) Hi my name is Gordon, HUGE fan of Weber & like the Honor series a great deal & I agree with Roberta - I've seen many indications Honor & her spinoffs are going to continue for quite some time, although the points made about where it will head stumps me as well. I also know that I loved the Prince Roger series (sry for bringing another book up, but its Weber :) & hope that he continues that sometime soon instead of selling the rights to finish the series, or do a prequel, heard so many things.

Weber has written so much, now with other Harrington characters & the Honorverse not to mention the other series he's written its phenomenal he had time to write all of the books or had other authors contribute as well... any favorite book with Honor? Mine are the 1st (Basilisk Station) & 'Echoes' (the jailbreak from hell) both are ones I still read in the series repeatedly. Nice to talking, hope I didn't throw too random post in this thread.

message 10: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 41 comments I don't doubt that Weber will continue publishing books in the Honorverse, just that Honor will be the central character in any more. She'll probably be mentioned -- after all she's a very big deal in the Manticore government. But that's the problem. She's no longer active in the actual struggles. So she won't have a starring role.

I will still read new books in the series; but I'll miss Honor.

message 11: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) @ Betsty, I hope not, but I haven't read 'Rising Thunder' nor 'Shadow of Freedom' so I can't really say with accuracy with incomplete info.. too many books too little time lol... But 'On Basilisk Station' will always be an all time favorite of mine.

message 12: by Nic (new)

Nic (winsomepony) | 1 comments I don't think he's at all done with Honor, even as a main character. Shadow from Freedom wasn't supposed to be about Honor - I think (though it could be hopeful thinking on my part!) that we will see plenty more of Honor. He's never had a problem showing things from the viewpoints of people from the frontlines all the way up to the queen herself - I don't think Honor's exalted rank will make her unable to be the main character - it would just make for a different kind of story.