Women in History discussion

A Real-Life Mystery Starring a Woman Detective

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margalit (new)

Margalit Fox (margalitfox) Dear Friends:

I'm taking the liberty of writing to let people know about my forthcoming book, "The Riddle of the Labyrinth," to be published on May 14 by Ecco Press/HarperCollins.

A work narrative nonfiction, the book will be of special interest to this group in that it is the true a story of a mystery from the ancient past: the quest to decipher a curious script from the Bronze Age known as Linear B.

Inscribed on clay tablets in about 1450 B.C., Linear B was unearthed on Crete in 1900 and, despite the best efforts of investigators from around the world, remained undeciphered for more than half a century. Not only did no one know what the mysterious tablets said, no one even knew what language they were written in.

As a result, Linear B was considered one of the most intractable puzzles in history, and the book documents the lives -- obsessed, brilliant, triumphant and ultimately deeply tragic -- of the real-life detectives who worked to unravel its secrets.

Chief among the investigators was Alice Kober, a brilliant, unsung classics professor at Brooklyn College in New York. Although Kober died in 1950, two years before the code was cracked, experts now agree that without her painstaking analysis of the script, Linear B never would have been deciphered when it was, if at all. But because she was a woman, her immense contribution has been lost to history, until now.

Besides offering a previously undocumented piece of women's history, the book is also a paleographic procedural, taking readers step by step through the forensic process involved in unraveling a secret code from the past.

I hope you will enjoy "The Riddle of the Labryinth" as much as I enjoyed researching and writing it.

More information about the book can be found here:

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Th...

I will be delighted to answer any questions about the book that anyone has; people are welcome to contact me directly at margalitfoxbooks@gmail.com.

With all my best wishes from New York,

Margalit Fox

message 2: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Margalit, I just joined the group and also just read your obit of Alice Kober in the NYT today. It was great and I've added your book to my to-read list :) It sounds fascinating and combines several interests of mine. I look forward to it.

Perhaps if anyone else in the group is interested we could do a group read. Like I said I just joined, so don't know how things are done here.

message 3: by Margalit (new)

Margalit Fox (margalitfox) How lovely, Susan; thank you so much!

All my best,

Margalit

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Burkhardt | 15 comments Margalit wrote: "Dear Friends:

I'm taking the liberty of writing to let people know about my forthcoming book, "The Riddle of the Labyrinth," to be published on May 14 by Ecco Press/HarperCollins.

A work narrativ..."

I clicked on the link you provided about the book, but found nothing. Can you provide a new/current link? I"m interested. Thanks.

message 5: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) Kim wrote: "Margalit wrote: "Dear Friends:

I'm taking the liberty of writing to let people know about my forthcoming book, "The Riddle of the Labyrinth," to be published on May 14 by Ecco Press/HarperCollins...."

Here's a link that should work: http://www.harpercollins.com/97800622...

I've read the book and thought it was terrific!