The BURIED Book Club discussion

Harry Mathews
This topic is about Harry Mathews
unBURIED Authors K-P > Harry Mathews

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 209 comments Most of his backlog remains in glorious print from Dalkey, but who reads him? His Oulipian works remain the most challenging, ludic, incomprehensible books around, so difficult in fact, I had to stop reading him. He was chums with Raymond Queneau, Italo Calvino, Jacques Roubaud and Georges Perec, and for a period, married to legendary French artist Niki de Saint Phalle.

His canon is too enormous to reproduce so here is the Wiki.

message 2: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 25 comments MJ wrote: "His canon is too enormous to reproduce so here is the Wiki."

Crikey! Them's a lot of books.

message 3: by Carla (new)

Carla (cjsarett) | 1 comments I have the trilogy, which includes the wonderful "The Sinking of the Oradek Stadium" "Tlooth" and "The Conversions." If you like reading for pure style, these are great introductions to this author.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 27 comments I only recently came across Harry Mathews' works, when I picked up a copy of The Sinking of The Odradek Stadium at a local secondhand bookshop. I enjoyed it in a mystified sort of way (see review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) but was surprised to discover how old it was. Clearly he has been below my limited radar for a long time...

message 5: by Nate D (last edited Jan 06, 2014 05:44PM) (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments I also have a copy of Odradek Stadium banging about that I should really be reading! Looks like we can probably cut the reading list in half if we excise poetry, however.