Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Member's Corners > Lilac's Corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Hello, this is my corner. I'll be tracking the books I read here along with a little bit about what I thought of each of them.
I might have some random posts too. :)

message 2: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Reserved

message 3: by Lilac (last edited Mar 13, 2013 02:46PM) (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments This is what I've read so far:

January
pages - 3263

1. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - ★★★★☆ - 02/01/13
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, 282 pages

A really great start to the year. It was a really good story and very real and very flawed characters, a little sad but not in a cry-your-eyes-out sort of way. I'll definitely be reading more books by this author.

2. Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi - ★★★★☆ - 08/01/13
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, 374 pages

I was expecting this to be just another cheap YA dystopian novel, and in many ways it was, but I actually really liked it. Something in this book just clicked with me and I couldn't put it down. The character develpment was great too, but I don't think that's what made me love this, it was more the fastish pace and interesting premise. Can't wait to read the sequel which was released today! :)

3. Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5) by Tahereh Mafi - ★★★★☆ - 12/01/13
Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi, 103 pages

A great little book. It's really short but gives loads of insight into Warner's life and stuff and is a great book to read while waiting for Unravel Me to be released. It was especially good for me as I'd forgotten some minor details about Shatter Me and this helped me remember so I'll be all set for Unravel Me in February.

4. Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia - ★★★☆☆ - 13/01/13
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, 563 pages

This was a really nice read, not really quite good enough for 4 stars, more like 3.5, but I'm feeling generous so I'm rating it higher. It would have been 4 stars of the middle part hadn't dragged so much anyway. Not much more to say about it. :)
EDIT 20/01/13 - Changed it to 3 stars. Not as good after reflection.

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - ★★★★★ - 20/01/13
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, 584 pages

Wow! So good, just so good. I loved it so much, and it even made me cry a little. If you haven't read it yet, you really need to. I can't believe it took me so long to get round to it actually. Wow, just wow.

6. Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2) by Veronica Rossi - ★★★★★ - 23/01/13
Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi, 352 pages

I'm astounded, I can't believe I've read two five star books in a matter of days, I just feel so lucky! If the rest of the year continues like this I'll be over the moon! This book was soooo good and my heart is still racing from the last few chapters. It was just so fast and yet the chararters were still so real. Seriously, apart from the first 50 pages or so the whole book felt like the climax, my heart was racing throughout. When the actual climax came I literally became out of breath because of how fast and scary and exciting it was!
I really, really, really don't want to wait a whole year for the sequel though but I'll just have to cope. :'(

7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling - ★★★★★ - 26/01/13
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling, 317 pages, RE-READ

Wonderful, as always! I can't believe I went a whole 2 and a half years without re-reading this series just because I was "too old and too cool". I'm glad I'm back to my old self of reading them multiple times a year now. :)
For some reason though this book is my least favourite in the series, and so is the film of it. I've no idea why it doesn't interest me as much as the others especially seeing as this is most people's favourite book in the series. But of course I do still love it! :D

8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling - ★★★★★ - 29/01/13
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling, 636 pages, RE-READ

I've not been feeling too well these last few days so listening to Stephen Fry read this on audiobook has been great. His voice is so soothing and magical that it has been putting me to sleep. I did read about 7 chapters myself when it got too exciting though.

9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl - ★★★★☆ - 30/01/13
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, 55 pages

I can't for the life of me remember if I read this as a child so I'm not counting it as a re-read. It was a really sweet book and I especially enjoyed the poem about Mike Teavee, marked as a spoiler below. A really great little book.
(view spoiler)

February
Pages - 1559

10. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - ★★★☆☆ - 02/02/13
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, 368 pages

This was okay but I much prefered The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. This was a bit more gritty but the hardest part about it was writing style, especially how Jim spoke. Also, a few chapter really dragged and seemed completely pointless but apart from that it was a nice read.

11. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - ★★★★☆ - 11/02/13
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, 351 pages

There's nothing for me to say about this...

12. The Blemished (Blemished #1) by Sarah Dalton - ★★★☆☆ - 16/02/13
The Blemished by Sarah Dalton, 328 pages

It was a nice read, just not as nice as I'd hoped. The plot was great but the writing wasn't so I can't rate it any higher. Definitely glad to have read it though. :) Review here

13. Reached (Matched, #3) by Ally Condie - ★★★★☆ - 24/02/13
Reached by Ally Condie, 512 pages

This was a really good end to the series and much better then the first two. It was very interesting to hear from Xander and Ky instead of just Cassia.

March
pages - 774

14. The Vanished (Blemished, #2) by Sarah Dalton - ★★★★☆ - 10/03/13
The Vanished by Sarah Dalton, 294 pages

It was good, much better than the first one. The characters were so much more developed and the dialogue was more natural. I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the last in the series to be released.

15. Potentate by Tiberius Fox - ★★☆☆☆ - 11/03/13
Potentate by Tiberius Fox, 334 pages, read 138 pages, DID NOT FINISH

This is the first book I won from Goodreads First Reads and it had completely put me off entering for more. I really didn't like this book and struggled with it for 2 months but I've finally decided to give up because I couldn't stand the characters Review Here.

16. My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl - ★★★☆☆ - 13/03/13
My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl, 342 pages

This was fairly good but not as good as the TV series. It was also completely different to the show; the characters names were different and the plot was in a random order. I think it's not bad but is just too much of a noraml teenage girl kind of thing that I don't enjoy reading about. I live in the real world as a teen girl so why would I want to read about it too?

message 4: by Jack, Founder (new)

Jack (jack_) | 2831 comments Mod
Hi Lilac!

message 5: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Hi Jack! :D

message 6: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Hello Kyle and thanks :)

message 7: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 179 comments Hi Lilac! I'd probably one of these days read Under the never sky, i hope i'll like it.
I was going to read Beautiful creatured, when i started it i saw that whole dictionary with all the creatures and it discourage me to keep on reading. should i start it over?
I LOVED Reached, the characters point of view, the ending, everything i thought i was perfect although i couldnt make my mind if i wanted Cassia to end up with Xander or Ky:)

message 8: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 179 comments nice corner btw!

message 9: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments IKR! Reached was a really good ending to the trilogy. I couldn't decide who she should end up with too but as the book went along I realised (view spoiler)
Ummm, I'm not sure whether you should read Beautiful Creatures. I'm not sure what list you saw but there aren't many creatures names to remember at all, but it's still not the best book. If you want a quick read then don't read it 'cause it's long and really drags in the middle. The story is quite good though. :)

message 10: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 38 comments Hi Lilac! :) Never Let Me Go is on my to-read list. From your review/descrip, I'll definitely be checking out.

message 11: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments 17. The Color Purple (Read A Great Movie) by Alice Walker - ★★★☆☆ - 17/03/13
The Color Purple by Alice Walker, 261 pages

3.5 stars really. To be honest the first half of this book was just okay. The first few chapters of course sucked me in but I didn't enjoy much of the middle of it. All in all it was definitely a good book, and the ending was very sweet, if quite sad.

message 12: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments I'm glad you're going to read it Jessa, it's a really good book. :)

message 13: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Hey Lilac! Great reviews; and I absolutely loved The Book Thief. Once I had read it, I couldn't figure out what took me so long.

What are you reading now?

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Hi lilac. Loved the book thief too. It's one book I will definitely read again in a few years

message 15: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Hi Alondra and Katherine! The Book Thief really was great, I'll probably re-read it in a few years too. :)

Alondra, I started Fever yesterday and it's really good so far. It's the sequel to Wither, which I enjoyed a lot last year. This one has even got a character called Lilac in it (which is really rare) but unfortunately she's a prostitute...
Still a good book though :)

message 16: by Bri (new)

Bri (ezBrizy) | 185 comments Hi Lilac! Nice list...I'll be adding a few of these to my to-read list!

message 17: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Thought I would stop by Lilac... say hello and wish you a wonderful weekend... What are you reading currently?

message 18: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Hi! I'm actually between books at the moment. I'm thinking of starting The Eyre Affair next but it depends what mood I'm in. Also, I haven't read Jane Eyre, and I'm not sure if that'll stop me enjoying the book as much.

message 19: by Lilac (last edited Mar 22, 2013 01:08PM) (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments 18. Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) by Lauren DeStefano - ★★★★☆ - 21/03/13
Fever by Lauren DeStefano, 341 pages

I liked this book even more then I liked the first one. It was just really good. I can't say much more without spoiling the first one but this was definitely a great read. I'm now in search of the third in the series, which was released a month ago.

message 20: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Lilac wrote: "Hi! I'm actually between books at the moment. I'm thinking of starting The Eyre Affair next but it depends what mood I'm in. Also, I haven't read Jane Eyre, and I'm not sure if that'll stop me enjo..."

I thought about reading The Eyre Affair but haven't so far.. I did read Jane Eyre and loved it!!!

message 21: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Lilac wrote: "18. Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) by Lauren DeStefano - ★★★★☆ - 21/03/13
Fever by Lauren DeStefano, 341 pages

I liked this book even more then I liked the first one. It was just really good. I can't say much more withou..."

Putting this on my research to read list... you said there are three of them?

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi Lilac! How are you? It seems that we have read around a lot of the same YA *you go further into some series than I have* im curious have you considered reading or Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1) by Susan Kaye Quinn ?

and do you recommend further reading into Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi ? I got it for free but im not sure weather i should get the other books...

anyways HI DENISA---- I always seem to be below her...

message 23: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Yep, there are three, Denisa. :)

Hi Ina, I actually have Enclave on my to-read list but probably won't be reading it soon because I need to get to the ones I own or have been lent. I've mever heard of Open Minds (somehow) but I'll look into it.
I definitely recommend reading all the Shatter Me books, but I haven't read Unravel Me yet so I'm not sure how good it is. Of the ones I have read the series is really good though, and worth purchasing (if you like YA dystopia anyway).

message 24: by Alondra (last edited Apr 14, 2013 05:56PM) (new)

Alondra Miller Lilac wrote: "Hi Alondra and Katherine! The Book Thief really was great, I'll probably re-read it in a few years too. :)

Alondra, I started Fever yesterday and it's really good so far. It's the sequel to Wither..."

I think my daughter has those, may have to check them out. so many books! i really need to win the lotto, so i can just read, garden, and enjoy my family.. then read some more :D

message 25: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Lilac wrote: "Yep, there are three, Denisa. :)

Hi Ina, I actually have Enclave on my to-read list but probably won't be reading it soon because I need to get to the ones I own or have been lent. I've mever hear..."

Lilac I love all kinds of books YA included. If the story line is good I am okay regardless of how it is listed... thanks for the recommendations... I am writing them down to check them out... thank you so much...
Right now I am reading A White Wind Blew by James Markert. I am only only page three so more later...
Hope your day is on the really bright side

message 26: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments 19. The Fractured Elena (Fractured #1) (Blemished #2.5) by Sarah Dalton - ★★★☆☆ - 27/03/13
The Fractured: Elena (Fractured #1) by Sarah Dalton, about 93 pages

Seeing as Elena was one of my favourite characters from The Blemished it was great to read a whole novella about her. I also liked finding out more about the GEMs, and about how they live their lives. The plot was very interesting, with just enough excitement to stop me being able to put it down! Review Here

message 27: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Lilac is my wife's favorite flower and color.:)"
its my mom's too...

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Denisa wrote: "Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Lilac is my wife's favorite flower and color.:)"
its my mom's too..."

... O_o ironically most ppl down here don't like lilacs cause they are associated with death and santeria... just wanted to throw that out there

message 29: by Lilac (last edited Mar 29, 2013 03:47AM) (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments 20. The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde - ★★★☆☆ - 29/03/13
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, 373 pages

This is one of craziest book I've read since I was about 10. None of it makes much sense and it's completely ridiculous. I mean, they have dodos for pets and there's a Republic of Wales! I had to work really hard to supress the logical half of my brain while reading this. It was a very fun read though, and I'll no doubt be reading the next in the series after I've read Great Expectation (because the synopsis says a character from it comes out of the book).

message 30: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Ina wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Lilac is my wife's favorite flower and color.:)"
its my mom's too..."

... O_o ironically most ppl down here don't like lilacs cause they are ..."

my mom always thought they were calming and sweet lighthearted..

message 31: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments hi Lilac... its me again... just checking in on you and seeing how you are doing.. Is there anything you are reading right now?

message 32: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lilac wrote: "20. The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde - ★★★☆☆ - 29/03/13

This is one of craziest book I've read since I was about 10. None of it makes much sense and it..."

I loved the Shakespearean Rocky Horror Picture Show in it.

message 33: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "Lilac wrote: "20. The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde - ★★★☆☆ - 29/03/13

This is one of craziest book I've read since I was about 10. None of it makes mu..."

I have heard others state that it was strange book too... that alone has my curiosity up..

message 34: by Cherrelle (new)

Cherrelle Smith (spoonary) Yeah, I heard Jasper Fforde's books are quite amusing. However, I'm worried that I haven't read enough classics and stuff to understand half of what is going on... :/

message 35: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments I'm currently reading Yn Y Gwaed, a Welsh book I need to read for school, and I started a book I won through Goodreads first reads (If You Die Before I Wake) last week before my best friend arrived from England and I stopped reading to hang out with her.

@Cherrelle - I haven't read that many classics either, but I still understood this book. I gives a summary of Jane Eyre (yes, with spoilers) so that you know the basic story-line and can understand what's going on. If you don't mind a few spoilers for classic books and you think The Eyre Affair looks good I'd say give it a go. :)

@Pam - I know! It was really fun and crazy :)

message 36: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Are you from an area that also speaks Welsh or is it more of a second language thing you only learn in school?

message 37: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments I'm from an area that speaks Welsh. It's most people's first language round here and we get taught almost every subject in Welsh until year 10, when we get to pick which language to do our GCSEs in. :)

message 38: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments That is pretty cool.
So what language are you going to pick?

message 39: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments I've picked English for most of my subjects except for Maths, which I'm doing in Welsh because I'm more familiar with the terminology in that language. I chose English for everything else (except Welsh, obviously) because I'm better at writing in English.

message 40: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments What about speaking and reading?

message 41: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments I'm definitely better at them in English too, but writing is really the important one in most subjects.

message 42: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Hi Liac.... just popping in again... hope all is well...

message 43: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments Hi Denisa, all's fine with me.
I went a couple of weeks without reading much, as my best friend was up and I rarely see her, but now I'm back to devouring books!
Thanks for reminding me to post them here though. :)

message 44: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Lilac wrote: "Hi Denisa, all's fine with me.
I went a couple of weeks without reading much, as my best friend was up and I rarely see her, but now I'm back to devouring books!
Thanks for reminding me to post th..."

I am so glad all is well...ah....best friends visiting is one of those have to do stuff... I know mine lives a ways off too and when we get together the rest of the world takes a back seat... as it should.

message 45: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments 21. If You Die Before I Wake (Saving Sabrina, #1) by Michelle Frank - ★★★★☆ - 14/04/13
If You Die Before I Wake by Michelle Frank, 265 pages

I really enjoyed the story of this book. I found it interesting right from the start and it just got better as it went along. The plot and characters were great and I especially liked how Sabrina developed slowly as I read. The only problem I had with it was the lack of editing. There were all sorts of little errors in it, particularly in the beginning. I can forgive all the grammatical errors only because the story was great, and I won it from Goodreads First Reads. I'd have been extremely annoyed if I'd had to pay money for a book with so many mistakes in though.

22. Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card ★★★★★ - 16/04/13
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, 324 pages

This is the best kind of book. A book you'll take with you to the bathroom. A book you'll hold open while eating one handed. A book you'll miss your stop for. A book homework gets neglected for. A book you'll stay up late for. A book you'll make up excuses to read. A wonderful book.

I can't describe why I love this book so much. I just do. It's great in every way.
Whether you like books like this or not, I advise you to read it, and as soon as possible.

message 46: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Lilac wrote: "21. If You Die Before I Wake (Saving Sabrina, #1) by Michelle Frank - ★★★★☆ - 14/04/13
If You Die Before I Wake by Michelle Frank, 265 pages

I really enjoyed the story of this book. I found it interesting right fro..."

the book you won.... if you die before I wake... did you win a uncorrected copy? sometimes the books we win are editor copies or uncorrected copies meaning they are not through editing it but send them for reviews and such. I have received some of them like that.. and on the cover or on the inside it will say uncorrected copy not for resale... yu might check..

message 47: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 45 comments No, I can't find anything that says that. As far as I know this is the edition that's being sold on Amazon.

message 48: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Lilac wrote: "No, I can't find anything that says that. As far as I know this is the edition that's being sold on Amazon."

it can still be sold on Amazon and still be a unedited book..but I have had a book that won an award and it had a big typo page in it... kinda strange...

message 49: by Ali (new)

Ali | 163 comments Does it say anywhere on the book that it's unedited? I've not heard of this before but can believe it's a regular occurrence.

message 50: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 1697 comments Ali wrote: "Does it say anywhere on the book that it's unedited? I've not heard of this before but can believe it's a regular occurrence."

the book I am reading right now is called Midnight at marble Arch and on the book the exact quoting says :
ADVANCED UNCORRECTED PROOFS
Please do not quote for publication without checking against the finished book..
another book I am reading simply says on the front:
Unedited copy not for resale.

« previous 1