Guy's Book Club discussion

General Stuff > Group Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Feel free to suggest books here that you think the group should read.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2013 02:20AM) (new)

The Postman by David Brin is a good one.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/88...

I watched the film after the fact with Kevin Costner, probably had the best Tom Petty cameo ever.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow that sounds like a good book! I'll add that to our books to read next month.

message 4: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Card (benjamincard) | 1 comments Since Richard Matheson is my all time favorite writer, I'll suggest a few of his:

I Am Legend
What Dreams May Come
He'll House
Somewhere In Time
A Stir Of Echoes
Come Fygures, Come Shadowes (haven't read this one yet but I'm dying to! It's supposed to be his magnum opus)

Also, by Stephen King:

Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

And by Shirley Jackson:

The Haunting of Hill House

By Ray Bradbury:

Fahrenheit 451
The Martian Chronicles (haven't read it yet but I'm going to soon)
Something Wicked This Way Comes

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Fahrenheit 451 a long time ago and it was pretty good! I've seen the movie of I am Legend, is the book better?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The Ruins looks interesting, I tried reading The Passage and it starts off so slow that I gave up. But if y'all want to read it I can add it to next months books. I was also thinking of adding John Corwin's Sweet Blood of Mine. He's a lesser known author and his book is written from a guys perspective not a woman's, and it's probably the funniest paranormal book I've ever read.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Make sure and vote on the poll I set up to decide which book we should read for April.

message 8: by John (new)

John | 4 comments I think this group would very much enjoy Monster Hunter International Monster Hunter International (MHI, #1) by Larry Correia . It's a series about a bunch of libertarian monster hunting contractors and includes a great take on modern day orcs, elves, gnomes & dragons, as well as more traditional but still awesome werewolves and vampires.

I blame it on Twilight. In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.
Larry Correia, Monster Hunter Vendetta