Star Trek Reads discussion

Mini-Series > Klingon Empire

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (daviz) | 65 comments A Burning House (Star Trek: Klingon Empire #1) I came across this book in my local library last Saturday. I didn't know there was a series of Klingon Empire books. There doesn't seem to be folder for this series so I've posted it under Mini-Series.

Much to my surprise when I started reading it it's ONLY about Klingons! Like in the Federation stories there are mentions of people we know of in Star Fleet as well as planets, etc.

Can't say I like it as much as the normal ST novels but it's OK once you get into it. I do find trying to keep up with the different characters rather difficult at times - but that also goes for ST novels as well on occasions.I find it very difficult to pronounce, even just in my mind, many of the Klingon words but I've found a Glossary of Klingon Terms at the back of the book. Some of them I already knew others are new to me.

I shall have to do a search on my library's website to see if I can get hold of any other novels based on the "Klingon Empire".

Unfortunately in the book itself there is no mention of more books in the "Klingon Empire" series.

The only mention of other books is the "Terok Nor" series of novels of which 3 are mentioned: "Day of the Vipers", "Night of the Wolves" & "Dawn of the Eagles".

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan (kertrats) | 39 comments Actually, A Burning House is book four of the series. The confusion comes from the fact that the first three books call the series "I.K.S. Gorkon" with the series being renamed for book four.

Also, the series itself is apparently a spinoff from an earlier TNG novel titled Diplomatic Implausibility. I haven't read any of these novels, but anything that I've read by Keith R.A. DeCandido has been pretty enjoyable!

message 3: by David (new)

David (daviz) | 65 comments Thanks Dan!

message 4: by David (new)

David (daviz) | 65 comments I've read several books by Keith R.A. DeCandido, this is one of them. I first met him (his writing, not the man himself!) in 'A Singular Destiny' which I read a few weeks ago.

You are really knowledgeable, Dan, about ST series! :-)

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee | 35 comments Klingons are among my favorite SF villains, "The Final Reflection" ranks among my Top 5 All-time ST novels. And they're a lot of fun in Star Fleet Battles. :)

message 6: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 42 comments Keith recently released "The Klingon Art of War." It is an in-universe book "translated from the original Klingon." Keith signed my copy at the last DragonCon, but I still haven't ready it yet.

message 7: by Dan (last edited Jan 11, 2015 12:14PM) (new)

Dan I know of Keith R. A. DeCandido as a writer of Spiderman novels. He writes Trek too? And visits cons? Cool!

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 13 comments The Klingon Empire Series, w/ the crew of the Gorkan is great! Go over to Memory Beta for a list of the books included: https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/S...

You might also want to read the books by J.G. Hertzler The Left Hand of Destiny books 1 & 2, if you are interested in Klingon centric works.