Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3) Chasing the Prophecy discussion

Whose death hurt you most? (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

As promised by the oracle, many members of the delegation perished--about half of them, not including the seedmen who were reborn. So which of these deaths was the worst for you?

Personally, I fell apart when Drake died, and then I fell apart even more when Ferrin died. I had sort of anticipated Drake's death, but I thought that Ferrin would live to see some peaceful days. What were your thoughts?

message 2: by Wannabe Hobbit (last edited Jul 16, 2013 11:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wannabe Hobbit I was really upset when Drake died. A bit strange because I had predicted his fate back when he joined Jason in the first book. I had grown to like him a lot more than I had realized. I liked his relationship with Farfalee. Their relationship as siblings was very realistic. I could relate to it because I am the only and eldest sister in my family with three younger brothers.

I became really worried about Farfalee's fate as well. I just hadn't expected her to die. I was relieved to learn that at least she had survived.

Nia's death. I really liked Nia. She died too suddenly.

Io. The way he was killed sort of shocked me.

Nedwin's first death really made me mad. He died too suddenly and without accomplishing anything. Even when he really did die, it didn't seem right.

When Tark said he would sacrifice himself I was sad, but glad. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but I think it might.

I had also really hoped that Ferrin would make it. I had even started to believe that he would remain loyal and survive. However, as soon as Naman tried to arrest him, I knew something horrible was going to happen.

Ug! I'm still trying to recover emotionally from all of the deaths. Every one upset me in a different way. It will be a while before I can really think clearly about anything in any way related to Beyonders. It was too amazing.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

*nods* I'm still recovering too. This book emotionally destroyed me.

Alex Judd ferrin

Wannabe Hobbit Alex wrote: "ferrin"

I know. That was horrible. I absolutely wanted to murder Naman.

Afrah Ferrin ofcourse, poor guy, he actually cam to the "good" side and BAM hes dead. He was funny d I really wanted him and rachel to see eachother off :)

message 7: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Apr 08, 2013 08:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Drake.He was my favorite character before i even read ANY of the Beyonders,i knew it was coming but i still cried a little

Aurora I found Nia's death hard to take since it was so sudden. She was there one second, and the next she was gone. With some of the others at least we had warning while they were sword fighting or digging for the orantium. I found the suddeness very disturbing.

Nedwin's death was difficult too because he died twice. We had to read through his narration as he prepared to sacrifice himself in order to save Trensicourt for Galloran.

I think, though, that Ferrin's was the worst for me. Up until the very end I still didn't know which side he was on fully. And in the end he gave up his life to support Galloran and Rachel and Jason. Sacrifices are always hard to take, especially when they're drawn out and don't happen quickly. Plus Ferrin didn't really have to have died. he could have let Tark finish the job (though he was needed in the end) and gone on to live a life afterwards as a hero. That would have been sad too, though, because he would have been an outcast still and the last of his people. At least with dying he did something worthwhile and cut the pain off sooner than had he chosen to remain alive.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Aurora wrote: "I found Nia's death hard to take since it was so sudden. She was there one second, and the next she was gone. With some of the others at least we had warning while they were sword fighting or diggi..."

Everything about this post. *sobs again for fallen characters*

Nia's death was one I kind of saw coming just because of her species and how they view dying in battle as such an honor and whatnot. It was sad, of course, but I didn't connect with her as much as the other characters.

Nedwin... Gah. He was heroic to the end and it felt so unfair that he'd never get to see Galloran's approval of what he did.

That was what hurt me so much about Ferrin's death, too. He was my favorite from the moment I met him in Book 1 and I cried from the time he entered to the mine to after I finished the book. He basically said there would be no place for him if they won the war, and that just causes me physical pain because a man with all the talent and intelligence that he has should be able to belong somewhere but he was raised in such a way that he didn't feel like he could belong in a world without displacers. I don't know. Am I making any sense?

Obviously, I'm still not over all the character deaths and I have a lot of feelings. Ehe.

Wannabe Hobbit Aurora wrote: "I found Nia's death hard to take since it was so sudden. She was there one second, and the next she was gone. With some of the others at least we had warning while they were sword fighting or diggi..."

Wow. You've summed up my feelings better than I could. I agree with every word.

Kristin Ferrin's death for me, hands down. I loved him from the beginning, and thought the best of him. I was yelling and screaming and I was an emotional wreck for the rest of the day, and the next day I was emotionally spent. And Drake's made me tear up, too. *feels* Still not completely over those two deaths. As for Nedwin, no one should have to die twice.

Brenna The amount of death was startling. I must say that Ferrin was my breaking point. He was a great character, and I was so sad when Jason pulled the bleeding ear out his pocket. An how Nedwin pretty much committed suicide (2nd death), I wasn't okay with that. This was an epically depressing book. All-in-all I though it was a great way to end the series.

Gisele i think it was nedwin and ferrins death that hurt the most they were sso strong they wee the last people i thought would die. :(

message 14: by Aurora (last edited Apr 20, 2013 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aurora Maxy said: Obviously, I'm still not over all the character deaths and I have a lot of feelings. Ehe.

I have the feeling that Chasing the Prophecy is going to be one of those books where you think you're over the death of a character, but then one day it just all comes back and you have to go sob some more.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Aurora wrote: "Maxy said: Obviously, I'm still not over all the character deaths and I have a lot of feelings. Ehe.

I have the feeling that Chasing the Prophecy is going to be one of those books where you think..."

Pretty much. I have the audiobook for Seeds of Rebellion, and every now and then I hear a patch of foreshadowing and just kind of whimper in despair.

Dasheld honestly? Io was the one of the sadest deaths.
He was never used a whole lot throughout the story. so when he sacrificed himself for no reason, it just felt like a pointless death.

Robin (Bridge Four) While i knew Drake, Tark and most of the drinlings would die I was the most upset about Nedwin and Ferrin. I can cope with Nedwin because he was still so haunted and tortured from his time held captive so death was probably a release of sorts for him. But Ferrin, I loved that character he was so complex and the way he admitted to Jason and Rachael all of his doubts about himself he still chose their friendship over anything else. So his death to me was the most tragic.
The one other thing that made me so sad was that either Jason or Rachael had to return to the beyond. I hated that they couldn't be together, they were like best friends.
Great end to the trilogy though all and all just heartbreaking.

Mary Grace Nakao I'm finding it hard to choose between Ferrin and Nedwin. Both death made me cry my eyes out for a good minute. teehee. In the end, I still choose Ferrin. I love this character! Im so proud of him cuz up to the very end, he still remained loyal :((((((((((

Mary Grace Nakao Robin wrote: "While i knew Drake, Tark and most of the drinlings would die I was the most upset about Nedwin and Ferrin. I can cope with Nedwin because he was still so haunted and tortured from his time held ca..."

You my friend, just wrote all the things that I felt about the book and failed to put into words.

We must be twins separated by birth XD

Sallyavena Im really sad that drake and Ferrin died. I expected both of them to die, but they were definently my favorite characters.

Wannabe Hobbit Dasheld wrote: "honestly? Io was the one of the sadest deaths.
He was never used a whole lot throughout the story. so when he sacrificed himself for no reason, it just felt like a pointless death."

I wouldn't say it was the saddest, but I totally agree that Io's death was pointless and irritating.

Aurora the Roman Goddess of the Dawn Even though I saw Drake's death coming in the earlier books, I still cried my eyes out. When he told Jason that it was Jason who saved him, it just made me cry more.

Both of Nedwin's death's made me cry.

But the death that hurt me that most was Ferrin's. He was my favorite character since Jason and Rachel met him in book one. (Yes, he remained my favorite, even when I knew he was with Maldor.) His death hurt me the most, but it's probably also the best death in Beyonders, because people were always questioning which side he was on even himself. This way he proved who he was. When Naman arrested him, I was so angry with Naman. I said if Ferrin does anything stupid it'll be Naman's fault. It meant a lot to me when Ferrin said that he is going to make his choices based on friends instead of people he doesn't care about.

The other deaths were sad they just didn't affect me that same way.

Nerdy Birdy Ferrin and Nedwin's deaths were the hardest At the end, when Jason pulls the bledding ear out of his pocket, I about died myself. And Nedwin's death was painful since it happened twice. The first time he died, it was so surreal. Nedwin WAS incible, no one can can kill him! And then when he was surprisingly and suddenly brought back to life, I'm just like what??????!!!! And then he dies again voluntarily, for the greater good of his beloved nation, even though he could have chosen to stay alive. I love you Nedwin!!!!

message 24: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Judd For me, Drake and Ferrin. They had become my two favorite characters, and I just wasn't prepared for their deaths, even though I saw Drake's coming.
As soon as Drake started fighting the lurker, I knew it was over. I still can't fully accept it! I think I needed him to show Rachel his little cabin in the wilderness. I just loved their relationship.
And Ferrin was almost worse. After he said that he couldn't betray Galloran, Rachel, and Jason, I just lost it. I was a bit worried about where Ferrin would end up at the end of the books, but honestly I never expected him to die. I thought he'd either be a traitor, or the one who saved them all. I just wish he could have saved them differently.

I really needed to type all this out. After finishing the book I have been ranting to my sister about how sad and amazed and just blown away I am as she gives me a blank look. I'm still trying to get her to read Beyonders.

Bridgette I'm not sure it was the deaths that hurt me... it was the ENDING!

Mykmyk Pascua For me, Drake's death hurt the most. And he was still thinking about Rachel until the end!

Nedwin's death felt like his burden was finally lifted. Not that I'm glad he died (for a second time), but as Brandon Mull's words had put it - he can finally rest.

Pluto Person Ferrin!
WAaahhhhhh!

Mackenzie I was so sad when Ferrin died! And Ned!