The BURIED Book Club discussion

unBURIED Authors A-D > Andrey Bely

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim I haven't read any of his books yet, but his name comes up frequently in relation to Bulgakov in the book The Master and Margarita: A Critical Companion.

His novel Petersburg has 1243 ratings, but the rest of his books have less than 50 each - many have 0 ratings.

Get your лопатами* and start digging!

(*shovels)

message 2: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Quick glance would suggest the following as starting points for Englishreaders:

The Silver Dove, a 1909 novel

And of course the nearly non-existent Complete Short Stories.

But his novel Petersburg sounds like it could be something most of us have never heard of but would like to hear of.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Nathan "N.R." wrote: "But his novel Petersburg sounds like it could be something most of us have never heard of but would like to hear of..."

The opening paragraph of this wikipedia page says that Nabokov referred to Petersburg as "one of the four greatest novels of the 20th century" and so I imagine that's why it has so many reads/ratings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Bely

message 4: by Megha (last edited Mar 13, 2013 03:19PM) (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 13 comments It is probably worth noting that when Nabokov referred to Petersburg as "one of the four greatest novels of the 20th century", he must have meant the original work in Russian (considering that he knew the language). Something does seem to be lost in the English translation : " The differences are also notable: the English translation of Bely remains more accessible, his work is based on complex rhythm of patterns, and, according to scholarly opinion, does not use such a wide variety of innovations. But these innovations, which subvert commonplace literary rhetoric, are necessary to conveying Petersburg at such a tumultuous time." [from Wikipedia]
Nevertheless, Nabokov's endorsement does work as great advertisment.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Ali wrote: "The Silver Dove is almost a prequel to Petersburg (Bely began what was intended to be TSD's sequel, but it grew a plot and life of its own, eventually becoming a standalone novel that could perhaps..."

Good to know about the two versions of Petersburg and Petersburg Lite.

I think I might start with The Silver Dove to help unBUry iT...

message 6: by Geoff (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:39PM) (new)

Geoff | 25 comments Petersburg is a masterpiece. One of my early loves of Russian lit. The Silver Dove and Kotik Letaev are sitting quietly on my bookshelf asking "why have you not read us, considering how much you love Petersburg?". There are essays from Bely that I desperately seek and never find.