VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE discussion

BOOKS > Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Mar 13, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 880 comments Mod
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith Have any of you guys read this? It's actually really good!! I'm not kidding!!! I know what you're thinking, you a book where Abe kills vampires is rediculous, right? Well, give it a chance before you bash on it.

Here is a trailer to the book...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58RP...

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan Schmit | 37 comments Movie was good is book better??

message 3: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

The book is much better.

message 4: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

It is surprisingly good. I went to see Lincoln (the Daniel Day Lewis film) and I was surprised at how many facts that were in ABVH were in the movie.

message 5: by Ken B (new)

Ken B Here's the review I posted:

I wasn't going to read this book because the title was just stupid and the premise seemed goofy. Yes, I judged a book by its cover.

But, after reading all of the reviews and recommendations on Horror Aficionados, I decided to give it a run. At least, I would have someone else to blame if it turned out to be crap. Lord knows I have read enough crap on my own with no blame to place.

But, I was wr-wr-wr-wrong! The book was actually good. In fact, very good!

The title pretty much explains it all. Take all of the history that you know about Abe Lincoln and everything you ever learned about the War of Northern Aggression and mix in a hidden vampire infestation and you'll have the general idea.

After finishing the book, I started thinking of other great Americans that could have been vampire hunters...Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight D Eisenhower, LBJ, Gerald Ford...okay, maybe not Gerald Ford. But, I see some room for sequels....

message 6: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Mar 13, 2013 12:06PM) (new)

When I first saw it on the shelves in Barnes & Noble in 2010 I was like "What the fuck??!!". But I went and read it anyway.....and I loved it!

I was like you, Ken. I saw other figures that could have been vampire hunters. Like Roosevelt.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Schmit | 37 comments Yea I was surprised with the facts too kinda made u think lol think maybe I should read it

message 8: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Read it, Megan. It's a very enjoyable book.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I saw the movie and thought is was great, I love it when they twist facts into vampire movies. I will add the book to my list to read

message 10: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

The movie was alright but the book is so much better.

message 11: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) I have the book on my wishlist for a long time now, and intended to read it after the movie. My intention was to use the movie as kind of trailer for the book, but also to avoid disappointment with the film adaptation which usually is not as good as the book. I really enjoyed watching the movie, so I believe the book must be great and worth reading. But for some unknown reason I keep putting off the purchase. I guess I have to push it up again on my list.

message 12: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Well, Elke, I think you will enjoy the book even though it is different then the movie. Seth Grahame-Smith wrote both but the book is better. The only similarity between the book and the movie is that the vampire Henry Sturges helps Abe in the book. I don't know why Seth Grahame-Smith changed everything with the movie, but keep in mind that he is a very good writer. Well, I say give the book a shot.

message 13: by Gary (new)

Gary Martin (gmmartinbooks) I would like to read the book. I like a good vampire book that attacks the story in a little bit different way.

message 14: by Kimberly, Supreme Hater of Twilight, lover of all other things vampiric (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 97 comments Mod
Dan wrote: "When I first saw it on the shelves in Barnes & Noble in 2010 I was like "What the fuck??!!". But I went and read it anyway.....and I loved it!

I was like you, Ken. I saw other figures that could h..."

That was pretty much my reaction when I first saw this one. I'm trusting your recommendation in adding this to my "to-read" list....if it sucks, I'm sending you my children for a week, as punishment for your bad taste!! LOL

message 15: by Ken B (new)

Ken B Kimberly wrote: "I'm trusting your recommendation in adding this to my "to-read" list....if it sucks, I'm sending you my children for a week, as punishment for your bad taste!! LOL ..."

Send 'em! We'll see who ultimately gets punished. I can be a surprisingly bad influence. I can give you my sister-in-law's number if you need a reference!

message 16: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:33PM) (new)

LOL...I love kids but I don't think I can be held responsible for the welfare or your children just because you don't like a book! LMAO.

message 17: by Kimberly, Supreme Hater of Twilight, lover of all other things vampiric (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 97 comments Mod
You're right, Dan. I'll save that punishment for you if you recommend TWO books that I don't like.... LOL!

message 18: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Okay, Kimberly. I'll keep that in mind. LOL.

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly | 48 comments I still haven't read this book.... :-\

message 20: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Holly wrote: "I still haven't read this book.... :-\"

You should, Holly. It's a very quick read.

message 21: by Holly (new)

Holly | 48 comments I've heard that it's really good as well.

message 22: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Oh it's awesome!

message 23: by Holly (new)

Holly | 48 comments Cool. It's on my to-read shelf. I hope to get to it soon.

message 24: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

read it, read it, read it!!

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly | 48 comments Okay, I will. I have a couple buddy reads coming up, but since it's such an easy read, I can probably squeeze it in.

message 26: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Word. We should make it a group read sometime.

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly | 48 comments Yeah, we should. That's a good idea! That would defiantly get me motivated to read it.

message 28: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Mar 16, 2013 07:45PM) (new)

I wouldn't mind reading it a third time...lol.

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly | 48 comments Lol, wow. You've read it twice? Must be really good.

message 30: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Yes, I love the book.

message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly | 48 comments Awesome!!