Coursera Friends discussion

General > Anyone still studying?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Anyone left, or did we all get burnt out?

I took on way too much around Christmas and then had a load of family illnesses and too many other committments. But I'm planning to start English Composition 1 next week, and possibly Ancient Greeks as well (though I fear it won't hold up to Prof Struck's standard!).

Will you join me? :)

message 2: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
I took way too much around Christmas as well. I'm still registered for several classes. I should check out the English Comp! I am registered for the Ancient Greeks as well!

message 3: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Excellent. We should def. do Ancient Greeks together, that would be fun. :)

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 88 comments Mod
Ditto for the Greeks. Also Archaeology's Dirty Secrets or something like that.

Audited astro-biology which was fun :) Currently semi following Writing History on Canvas. Work has been manic though as since Christmas we've been up to 4 people down out of 12 of us and most are part time... :S And now my line manager has both broken her wrist, AND is retiring in May so everything is chaotic to say the least! Roll on the summer ;)

I'm also finishing off my applications to do either an MRes or an MA in medieval history come September... I am thinking I'm bonkers! :D

message 5: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Not bonkers, just optimistic! :)

I checked out the English Comp and if it was writing fiction I would take it but it seems more like technical writing, so I think it will just be the Ancient Greeks for me.

message 6: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Good for you, Emy! :)

I'd like to take a fiction class as well, Jute. Actually I should have been doing one at the local college now, but it's been moved to June (which is doubly annoying as it's peak swimming season, I'm going to be mad busy!). But I think the English Comp class will be handy, anyway; I've already benefitted significantly from the Writing In The Sciences course. :D

message 7: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Seawood wrote: "Good for you, Emy! :)

I'd like to take a fiction class as well, Jute. Actually I should have been doing one at the local college now, but it's been moved to June (which is doubly annoying as it's ..."

What advantages do you think the course would offer to someone interested primarily in fiction?

message 8: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Depends how much fiction you've written, really, and how much practice you've had. I know mine's tightened up from doing the Sci Writing course - I'm a better self-editor than I was because I can see where I'm rambling or where I've leaned too much on the passive voice or too many adjectives. I think the English Comp class will help more with my non-fiction, of course (which is important cos that's what I get paid for at the moment!) but all writing practice is helpful.

message 9: by Emy (new)

Archaeology's Dirty Little Secrets - just starting. Hopeful for it although the layout seems a little confusing, but that might be coz life has been a little evil the last few weeks. Calming down now so...

message 10: by Seawood (new)

Seawood I must dig into that one (ho ho ho). I'm signed up to Latin American Culture and Intro Art as well, but just to audit.

Still going with Intro Psych - it's been a bit of a mess really, with none of their extra software able to cope with the demand. I'm laid-back about it because it's all been revision for me, so far - I read all the recommended books years ago. If I have to bail it won't be too much of a loss; I think the Social Psychology one in a couple of months will be more what I was looking for.

I dropped English Comp; it seemed aimed at non-native writers. Bit of a misleading course description.

message 11: by Emy (new)

I think the mess/clarity is for me the biggest indicator of whether I'll complete, audit or drop a course.

E.g.
SciFi Fantasy was REALLY clear - list of books + weeks up front, videos released to a simple schedule, good communication in case of delays
Gamification - Slightly messy, Videos were too long for anything other than extended sessions (no dipping in during your lunch break), quizzes were embedded which was hard to do on certain OS as showed out of sequence.
Both the eLearning ones I wanted to do were all over the place with no clear layout of what was happening when. Ended up auditing both because I couldn't see where I was.