Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell #1) Wolf Hall question

The title Wolf Hall
deleted member Mar 13, 2013 09:59AM
After I managed to get use to the writing style, I have wondered about the title Wolf Hall why not Austin Friars?

I think the issue is why Wolf Hall is the title of the book when very little of the book has to do with Wolf Hall or the Seymour family.

This just the question I asked myself! There was so little action (so to speak) that took place there, Jane Seymour playing such a tiny part in the first book. I think it would have suited the 2nd book better.

This would have been more a appropriate title for the second book.

I think it might also have something to do with the fact that even as Henry is making radical changes in his country and in his faith in order to make Anne queen, the next queen, Jane Seymour, is ever present, and all too soon will become the focus of Henry's attention and desire. "Wolf Hall" serves as a reminder that any sort of peace and stability that was achieved with Henry's marriage (to Katherine or to Anne) is short lived, and that his next wife is always nearer to becoming queen than anyone thinks.

I had similar questions and another poster from my bookgroup Can't Stop Reading (Past Reads section) noted that, although the Wolf Hall is of little importance to this novel, it is a reference to the central characters' treatment of one another. She also pointed out the quotation "Man is wolf to man" and referenced a wikipedia notation.