Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

HEA in Movies > Current Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 240 (240 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Seen any good movies lately? Something recently released at theaters or DVD/Blueray?

I went and saw OZ The Great and Powerful last night and I loved it. Makes me wonder if they might be thinking of doing a remake of The Wizard of OZ and if its possible to make one better than the original. Depending on casts and director, etc, I think they could do a good remake with the special effects that are available nowadays.

message 2: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments I just put Oz on my Netflix list. We never make it to the theater these days, so I'm always behind on the new release movies.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments You will love it! Especially if you're a fan of The Wizard of Oz.

message 4: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments I wonder why they don't rerelease old films instead of doing remakes! Can you imagine seeing Gone With The Wind in a theater?

message 5: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (jackierhoades) | 192 comments We were thinking of going to see that this weekend. The comercials looked pretty good, but then they always do. It's good to hear from someone who saw the whole thing. I hate going to a movie where you've already seen the only good parts in the commercials, aprticulary with the prices they charge.

Speaking of remakes... We rented Red Dawn last Saturday. I'm not usually a fan of remakes. If it was that good in the first place, the original will be pretty hard to beat. Anyway, I liked the first one because Patrick Swazee was in it and thought the critics gave it a bad deal, so I was curious and hubby wanted to see it. It was a good movie. I even paused it when I had to use the bathroom which for me is a good sign!

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments So many of today's children and adults want the newer versions. The idea of going to see an old movie doesn't appeal to them but they don't know what they are missing. I've seen so many old movies that I think my family would love but they won't watch 'cause its old or black and white.

message 7: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments Added the new Red Dawn to my list. Yay!!

message 8: by Melanie♥ (last edited Mar 13, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments I love the old black and white movies. I can get hooked on Turner Classic Movie channel and lose track of time.

message 9: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (jackierhoades) | 192 comments Not long ago, I said something about someone acting like John Wayne and the kids at school looked at me funny. They had no idea he's an American icon! I brought in The Cowboys (fits with American History so we had an excuse) and made them watch it. They loved it!

message 10: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments I recently watched Giant and am still looking for a copy of Saratoga Trunk. Loved both these movies based on Edna Ferber's books. She also wrote the book that inspired the musical, Showboat.

message 11: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments I haven't been to any movies in an actual theater in months. Friends and I recently watched Hope Springs on DVD, which was pretty good. Oz is on my list of movies I'd like to see, but will probably have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh, you ladies are tempting me to go to the movies and see OZ The Great and Powerful!

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments It was really good, LK. I loved it!

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh, checking out the times now. What is the major difference between 3D and XD?

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Don't know, LK. Is there a price difference between them?

message 16: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments Back in my day, we went to one screen and LiKED it! :)

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Mar 15, 2013 10:38AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Don't know, LK. Is there a price difference between them?"

I don't know. I can't figure it out. I did an Internet search... still don't know.

message 18: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments My son said that XD is an IMAX knock off....just better screen and better sound.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Ah. Is it as big a screen?

message 20: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Ahhhhhh! Thanks, Melanie!

message 21: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments Not sure about that, he just said it's an IMAX copycat, so had to have a different name.

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Well, thank him for me, Melanie. **Lisa Kay grumbles to self about keeping up with the lastest technology...**

message 23: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Well, thank him for me, Melanie. **Lisa Kay grumbles to self about keeping up with the lastest technology...**"

Hey, I had no idea what it was either. Like I said, if doesn't come in through the mail slot, I haven't seen it. And I don't think netflix offers the XD experience LOL!

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Well, I did get a new TV last November that I'm sure does more than I use it for. I just haven't taken the time to read the manual.

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Last time we bought a TV was over 25 years ago...so we were due. LOL!

message 26: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Is it a flat screen? I don't have a flat screen. I have 3 TVs in the house and none are flat screen. Our main TV takes up so much space. I want a flat screen that I can hang on the wall.

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Yes, mine is a flatscreen, Pamela. I love it, but it is a BIG A$$ TV. LOL! I asked my girl-friend what size she had, because I knew how well I could see it. She said "45" - when it was "55" - so I got a "60 inch." Let me tell you, I can see every wrinkle and pimple on everyone. LOL! I'm fascinated to see what is in the background of my favorite old shows.

BTW, she always comments on the size of the TV when she and her boyfriend come over. And I always say..."And whose fault is that?"

message 28: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Not sure I'd want one quite that big. I have a 35" console and its big enough for me. Of course, hubby would love one that big!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Yeah, well you aren't blind like Dhes and I are. LOL! It is nice, because I have a cutout from my kitchen through to my family room. I can watch TV while I cook, if I want to. Just like back in the 80's, when I could see that far.

message 30: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments LOL its funny really! When I was younger (back in my teens) I had to wear glasses to see far away. Well, my eyes went backwards. Now I have to have glasses to see near but my far sight is good.

message 31: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 488 comments Back to the movies . . . my book club has spun off a movie group, and I've actually seen some movies recently! Side Effects is good. Has some interesting plot twists. Enjoyed several of the Oscar winners. If you haven't already seen those, I'd recommend Argo and Silver Linings Playlist. Quartet was good. Also saw a cute Independent film on Netflix a couple of weeks ago called Take Me Home. So, if you need a break from reading, happy watching!

message 32: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Like LK, my TV is ancient by modern standards. Maybe not quite 25 years old, but definitely more than ten. Twelve or thirteen, maybe? It's also only a 20-inch. I would love to get a new one at least twice that size, but the new flat screen TVs are sooo expensive.

A friend of mine has two large flat screen TVs. The one downstairs is HUGE. It can be quite the experience, depending on what you are watching. It's awesome for football, but let me tell you--watching True Blood on it was...interesting. LOL

message 33: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Thanks, Darlene!

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments **hee hee**

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jan 23, 2014 11:46AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Sooooooo... my BFF took me out for lunch and a movie yesterday and we saw Saving Mr. Banks. Before we went in the theater I asked the usher if she enjoyed the movie and she relied, "Yes. It is cute."

Well... cute is not exactly what I would call it. Don't be mislead; I laughed a lot. But I would say this movie has a keen sense of poignancy. In fact, I cried several times, the most during one of the "happiest" points in the movie: when they first presented Let's Go Fly a Kite to Mrs. Travers.

Did anyone else see this one?

message 36: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments not yet but I do want to see it.

message 37: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Have not seen it yet, but would like to. On a related note, there's a program on PBS Sunday afternoon on Ms. Travers: The Real Mary Poppins.

message 38: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 648 comments Got one from the $5 bin, Immortals with Henry Cavill. I was tired though, and fell asleep about an hour or so into it, so will have to rewatch it. Also watched Wyatt Earp's Revenge with Val Kilmer, it was pretty good, though nothing spectacular. Oh, and borrowed a couple from my mom, older ones, Young Pioneers and Young Pioneers' Christmas. They weren't bad.

message 39: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments I want to see Mr. Banks AND read the book. I love when I see a commercial for a movie that looks interesting and then realize there's a BOOK, too! It's like a two-for-one deal!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments I'm going to see The Book Thief today. Somehow I don't think it will have a HEA but I've heard it's a brilliant story. I haven't read the book yet.

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Take some tissue, Lisa.

message 42: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments I tried reading the book but was all sorts of confused. I do want to see the movie, though.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments Oh, I needed every one of those tissues to get through The Book Thief. Very engrossing but depressing story.

message 44: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Oh, I needed every one of those tissues to get through The Book Thief. Very engrossing but depressing story."

I loved the book, even if I did need tissue at the end, but have yet to see the movie. And of course it comes out on DVD the week after my birthday. *scowling*

message 45: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jan 28, 2014 09:36PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments My husband and friends who I went with enjoyed the book much more. Thought it had moments of joy within the sadness that the movie somehow lacked.

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Pamela, I watched Oz The Great and Powerful tonight on your recommendation. You didn't steer me wrong. I just love it! I'm going to have to watch it again.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments The costumes were beautiful.

message 48: by Michelle T. (new)

Michelle T. (chely1217) | 399 comments I really didn't like this movie...

Believe it or not after such a long time I finally watched Frozen, and I loved it... its being a long time that Disney has come out with a movie that includes true love, humor, and good music.

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Aww... that's too bad (about Oz), Michelle T.

I haven't seen Frozen, yet. That is next on my list.

message 50: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments I also recently saw Frozen -- loved it! -- as well as both Hunger Games movies and Thor: The Dark World. Some friends and I had a bit of a catch-up, LOL.

« previous 1 3 4 5