Jewish Book Carnival discussion

JBC Network: For authors of Jewish-interest books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma | 1 comments The JBC Network, a program of the Jewish Book Council, would like to invite Jewish authors/authors of Jewish-interest books to register for the 2013-14 year. You must have a book published between Sept. 2012-Dec. 2013 to be eligible.

JBC Network is a great opportunity to promote your book to a targeted audience of North American Jewish communities. Our members include JCCs, synagogues, Hillels, and youth groups from New Jersey to Oregon, New Orleans to Montreal. Each author has two minutes to pitch his/her book to representatives from member communities, after which the communities invite authors to do book programs in their home cities.

Some authors receive many invitations, and some don't receive any. Either way, it's an easy, efficient way to get your book out there to the world.

Registration is $365 for authors attending the conference, or $310 if you choose not to. We also require 100 review copies (hard copies or e-books) to be submitted in support of the application. (These are distributed to the JBC Network members for their review.) The absolute deadline is May 1, but a $100 late fee applies after April 3.

For more information, visit the Jewish Book Council website.

Authors who have participated: What was your experience of JBC Network?

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 198 comments Hello, Emma, and thanks for inviting past participants to chime in. Here's a post that I wrote after pitching my book to the representatives two years ago. The invitations didn't exactly come streaming my way, but, as I note in the post, it was a positive experience overall.

message 3: by David (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments Great information, Erika. Thanks.

message 4: by Thelma (new)

Thelma (thelmaz) | 22 comments Erika wrote: "Hello, Emma, and thanks for inviting past participants to chime in. Here's a post that I wrote after pitching my book to the representatives two years ago. The invitations didn't exactly come strea..."

I signed up for this year as I have a memoir with Jewish content out. I think it's probably best not to go with high expectations but I'd like the experience. Will post when I get back.

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally Grotta (sally_wiener_grotta) | 65 comments I'm signed up and very much looking forward to it. See you there, Thelma!

message 6: by Thelma (new)

Thelma (thelmaz) | 22 comments We;ll check in before the conference, okay? Do you know what day you're presenting? I'm on Sunday, which is nice because I believe they go in alphabetical order and I'm a Z so I was hoping not to be the last one on the last day when everyone is falling asleep.

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally Grotta (sally_wiener_grotta) | 65 comments Well, I'm on Tuesday. Hopefully, they won't be asleep.

message 8: by Thelma (new)

Thelma (thelmaz) | 22 comments Sally, do you know where you'll be staying? Erika, does JBC recommend a hotel in the area or do they have a block of rooms set aside for attendees?

message 9: by Sally (new)

Sally Grotta (sally_wiener_grotta) | 65 comments I haven't decided yet, Thelma. I live in Pennsylvania. So, I'll go home after Book Expo, and return for Tuesday at JBC.

By the way, what is your book that you'll be presenting?

message 10: by Thelma (new)

Thelma (thelmaz) | 22 comments I'm presenting a memoir called Stumbling Through the Dark. It's the story of my husband's last year. We were an interfaith couple, happily married for 34 years, but our different ways of dealing with his dying caused some problems that final year. It also deals with my early months of widowhood and, near the end, introduces my favorite character, a very large, menacing possum who appeared in my bathroom in the middle of the night.

Tell me about Book Expo. Is that part of JBC as well?

message 11: by Thelma (new)

Thelma (thelmaz) | 22 comments Sally, I looked up Book Expo and I don't think I'll do that--maybe next year since my book isn't time specific. What book are you presenting?

message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally Grotta (sally_wiener_grotta) | 65 comments Sounds like a compelling story, Thelma. I've put it on my Want To Read list on GoodReads and look forward to it.

My novel is "Jo Joe". It's about a mixed race Jewish woman, who was the only Jew in a small Pennsylvania village, where she was raised by her white Christian grandparents. To make matters worse, she was also the only Black. Breaking her vow to never return to the town she learned to hate, she goes for for a single week. During that time, she buries and mourns for her beloved grandmother, confronts the white boy who broke her heart, has a brutal run-in with a violent bully from her youth, and uncovers a long-hidden secret that makes her question the fundamental “truths” of who she is and what she believes.

I cover Book Expo as a journalist. I try not to miss it. I love seeing friends, making new ones and checking out what's happening in publishing. Mostly, everyone there loves books and reading, so it's our kind of people. But it is massive and can be intimidating, if you try to swallow it whole.

message 13: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 198 comments Thelma, lodging wasn't an issue for me, since I'm local. I would advise that you check directly with the JBC to find out what their recommendations may be.

Thelma wrote: "Sally, do you know where you'll be staying? Erika, does JBC recommend a hotel in the area or do they have a block of rooms set aside for attendees?"