Books for Liberty and Individual Freedom discussion

John Galt's home away from home > Could John Galt find happiness anywhere in the US today?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh (new)

Josh Langston | 3 comments As a newbie to this forum, I'll try to tread lightly. At least until I know my way around. I've long been intrigued by the idea of a town which might exist without benefit or interference from outside governments. I'm not espousing anarchy, just wondering what the alternative might be if a village could escape the oversight of state and national governance. My book, Resurrection Blues posits some ideas while disguised as a contemporary thriller.

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Pittman viii | 3 comments There is no place for John fault here, closest you can get is rural alaska, but if the village gets to loud or big then it will have intervention.

message 3: by Josh (new)

Josh Langston | 3 comments I agree that isolation would be required, but there are many states which have large tracts of uninhabited territory. I suppose, however, with the advent of drones being flown domestically, staying under the radar would become increasingly difficult. Residents would have to be diligent about avoiding detection.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Pittman viii | 3 comments Not only would isolation be important, there would need to be title reason for statists to involve themselves. Alaska has a culture of real liberalism, and has little reason to involve its self into communities that are self sufficient. (Speaking as an Alaskan)

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Pittman viii | 3 comments The one issue is that most of alaska is not private, the vast majority of Land is held by the government.

message 6: by Josh (new)

Josh Langston | 3 comments Vast tracts are held by the federal government throughout the lower 48, too. Especially in the southwest. It would be problematical but not insurmountable. I'm speaking hypothetically, of course!