Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Childhood Favorites

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marla (new)

Marla | 1674 comments As a grade school librarian, I see many old and new favorites on a weekly basis...what are your favorites?

I was never *hangs head in shame* a huge Cat in the Hat or Green Eggs and Ham fan. I liked One Fish, Two Fish, Horton Hears a Who and Myrtle the Turtle. Wow, I am drawing a blank on what else I was read as a young child.

message 2: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Yes all those Dr. Suess books I can remember....But the one that stands out most Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

message 3: by Laura (last edited Mar 13, 2013 08:28AM) (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments For me it was Socks by Beverly Cleary

Oh and also Beauty by Bill Wallace

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Oh - I remember Charlotte's Web! Bridge to Terabithia, Number the Stars, Snow Treasure, and Anne of Green Gables were some of my favorites.

As for picture books, I remember Go, Dog. Go! and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie as well as plenty of Dr. Seuss.

message 5: by Lára (new)

Lára I said yesterday I´ll be quiet but I don´t think I could write something silly here so ...

My favourite was Harry Potter. I did not read children books as a child (but I read them now, when I´m 22 years old). I remember I liked classics then and that´s all. Harry Potter and classics. I was a weird child.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Mary wrote: "Oh - I remember Charlotte's Web! Bridge to Terabithia, Number the Stars, Snow Treasure, and Anne of Green Gables were some of my favorites.

As for picture books, I remember Go, Dog. Go! and If Yo..."

I loved Anne of Green Gables also, but I didn't read those until High School or college one. I can't seem to remember. I also loved the movies that came on as a mini series on Disney Channel!

message 7: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10389 comments Mine were all the books from Comtesse de Ségur, specially
Um Bom Diabrete by Comtesse de Ségur Os Desastres de Sofia by Comtesse de Ségur , As Meninas Exemplares by Comtesse de Ségur and Depois da Tempestade by Comtesse de Ségur

A series from Gretha Stevns, book one was Susy Prepara uma Surpresa by Gretha Stevns and book 2 Susy Salva a Vida de Tânia by Gretha Stevns - GoodReads only has the first 3.

And I also liked O Principezinho by Antoine de Saint-Expéry

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 781 comments Oh I loved Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) by Franklin W. Dixon , Nancy Drew Complete Series Set, #1-64 by Carolyn Keene and The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Bobbsey Twins, #1) by Laura Lee Hope

My sister had the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I had the Hardy Boys books. I also remember Charlotte's Web and some of the other ones mentioned above.

message 9: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 453 comments i loved the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary and the Babysitter seris

message 10: by Marla (last edited Mar 13, 2013 11:01AM) (new)

Marla | 1674 comments @NayNay - We read Charlotte's Web in 3rd grade and then they took us to see the movie in the theater! (I was sick and missed it and cried and moped...so my Dad had to take me). Loved both book and movie! Both made me cry. (I just admitted to how old I am...)

@Laura - How could I forget Beverly Cleary?! Yes, definitely, Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2) by Beverly Cleary and The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1) by Beverly Cleary

@Mary & Laura - I would've loved Anne of Green Gables, but didn't discover them until I had my girls and my mother-in-law and sister-in-law introduced me to the books and movies.

Also, Bambi by Felix Salten and The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) by Laura Ingalls Wilder .

message 11: by Marla (last edited Mar 13, 2013 11:08AM) (new)

Marla | 1674 comments Sonia wrote: "Mine were all the books from Comtesse de Ségur, specially
Um Bom Diabrete by Comtesse de SégurOs Desastres de Sofia by Comtesse de Ségur, As Meninas Exemplares by Comtesse de Ségur and "

Note: Fleurville #1 Sophie's Misfortunes was translated into English for the first time in 2010.

message 12: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 127 comments I loved Peter Pan, Five Childern and It, The Fairy Magic books, Harry Potter and The Secret Garden.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments @ Monica I forgot about Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys!

@ Marla I LOVED The Little House books. My Mom read them with me when my sisters and I were young. Loved the show, too.

Also loved The Chronicles of Narnia. And my Dad would read The Hobbit out loud to us when we were young in all the voices. :-D

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1 comments The city of ember series was one of my favorite childhood series.

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Daryl Dixonღ♥ღ | 2613 comments i used to love reading books by Enid Blyton some of my favourites were The Children of Cherry Tree Farm by Enid Blyton The Children Of Willow Farm (Rewards) by Enid Blyton The Enid Blyton Book Of Brownies by Enid Blyton and Tales of Toyland and Other Stories (Rewards, #8) by Enid Blyton

message 16: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn | 69 comments For me the The Secret World of Og was read to me by my second grade teacher and completely stole my heart. Also, The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes series (Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining). They used to sell them at the grocery store and I just had to check if there was a new one every single time my mom took me shopping.

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 149 comments I remember reading Alice in Wonderland and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I also loved Dr. Seuss especially The Lorax. My all time favorite children's book and the one I give at baby showers is The Giving Tree.

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda I loved Little House on the Prairie Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) by Laura Ingalls Wilder .

My very favorite book, the one that still gives me warm fuzzies is Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

message 19: by Marla (new)

Marla | 1674 comments My children had their own favorites...

(Magic Tree House) Magic Tree House #1-28 by Mary Pope Osborne
Jamberry by Bruce Degen , The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood , Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch , Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton , Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown , Bob and Larry's ABC's (Veggiecational Series) by Phil Vischer

message 20: by Ashley (last edited Oct 25, 2013 12:02PM) (new)

Ashley A couple of my favorite childhood books are The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin , Ottie and the Star by Laura Jean Allen , Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik and Castlevania II Simon Quest Worlds of Power #4 by F.X. Nine . They are such a good books. :) There was also a book I can't remember the name to but it was about a little brown rabbit that has a loose tooth and at the end she finally loses it while she's eating ice cream.

message 21: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ Mine was Black Beauty.
I also remember the one about the bunny loses its tooth but don't recall the name.

message 22: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ Its Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth lol duh seems obvious now

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Joycedale wrote: "Its Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth lol duh seems obvious now"

Lol!! It does seem obvious!! hahaha! Wonder why I couldn't think of it? XD

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I also really loved The Stinky Cheese Man And Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka . I read the crap out of this book as a kid and even bought a copy of it not long ago at Books-A-Million.

message 25: by Kristie (last edited Oct 25, 2013 12:43PM) (new)

Kristie | 3279 comments When I was little I remember reading Disney's the Aristocats by Walt Disney Company about a zillion times. I loved it!

Some all time amazing children's books that I love are: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

My grandson currently loves Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin . He sings the song all the time. :)

message 26: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) I also loved the Ramona books and, later, the original Nancy Drew mysteries. I've started re-reading the Nancy Drews, comparing the 1930's versions to the 1950s-1960s versions, and it's been pretty amusing. A major favorite that paved the way for my love of fantasy and horror were the Ruth Chew books, especially The Wednesday Witch and The Witch's Buttons.

message 27: by Chatterjak (new)

Chatterjak Omg, I LOVED Nancy Drew! I didn't know there was a thirties version - I may have to copy your idea there Sheri! I think it was the legacy of Nancy that made me love a good crime drama/thriller as an adult!

Other childhood faves: Enid Blyton (not very PC these days), charlottes web (I still reread it from time to time), swallows and amazons.

message 28: by Chatterjak (new)

Chatterjak Ooh, and Winnie the Pooh!

message 29: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) I also fell in love with the Albert Payson Terhune books. They had been my father's childhood books, and I discovered them on my grandfather's bookshelves during one boring summer visit. I think they contained some pretty standard (for early 20th century) stereotypes and bigotry, but what I remember are the wonderful adventures of the brave and loyal collies. The people were very much secondary characters.

message 30: by SheriC (PM) (last edited Oct 26, 2013 06:28AM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Chatterjak wrote: "Omg, I LOVED Nancy Drew! I didn't know there was a thirties version - I may have to copy your idea there Sheri! I think it was the legacy of Nancy that made me love a good crime drama/thriller as ..."

I've been collecting them as I find them in used bookstores, but they aren't hard to find on eBay. I recommend the Applewood versions that were reprinted back in the 90s, because they have the original - fantastic - illustrations. Nancy is much sassier and a lot less annoyingly perfect in the 1930's versions than in the 1960's rewrites. In some cases, the stories are completely different, and only the title was retained in the rewrite.

message 31: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) I thought Nancy was OK, she wasn't my favorite for the reason you mentioned, she was annoying.

Instead, I preferred Trixie Belden, anyone hear of her? I describe her as a younger, more wholesome Nancy. In the Trixie Belden series, there are 39 of them written 1948-1986. Trixie starts out 13, lives on a farm with her parents and 3 brothers and leads a "boring" life until "rich girl" Honey moves in next door. Then they keep finding their way into mysteries together and then with Trixie's older brothers and some other friends they pick up along the way.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the series, and I had them all plus doubles. I lost them all, so I'm trying to get them again. I have 11 now, and always look for them. I pick up Nancy (I have about 20) if I see her, but I prefer Trixie 100 times over. I can still read her now.

The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1) by Julie Campbell ~ these are the new hardcovers, put out a few years ago. I collect the old old paperbacks and hardcovers.

message 32: by Marla (new)

Marla | 1674 comments I enjoy murder mysteries now, and LOVE serial killer thrillers. But I was never a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boy fan. I guess I need a body count to get me interested. Lost cookies or canoes just don't cut it.

message 33: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Brooke wrote: "I thought Nancy was OK, she wasn't my favorite for the reason you mentioned, she was annoying.

Instead, I preferred Trixie Belden, anyone hear of her? I describe her as a younger, more wholesom..."

I didn't know characters could get more wholesome than Nancy! :)
But I remember coming across a Trixie Beldon once on a summer trip and enjoying it, but it didn't make much of an impression. I think maybe, for whatever reason, they just weren't available to me the way the ND mysteries were.

message 34: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Marla wrote: "I enjoy murder mysteries now, and LOVE serial killer thrillers. But I was never a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boy fan. I guess I need a body count to get me interested. Lost cookies or canoes just don't cu..."

Lack of an actual body count, and the "ghosts" always turning out to be plain old humans, was a disappointment to me, too. But I don't think many children's and YA novels had body counts, back when I was the actual target audience. Times have changed, I think.

message 35: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Sheri wrote: "Brooke wrote: "I thought Nancy was OK, she wasn't my favorite for the reason you mentioned, she was annoying.

Instead, I preferred Trixie Belden, anyone hear of her? I describe her as a younger..."

Trixie was. Instead of worrying about her convertible being fixed in the shop, Trixie was babysitting her younger brother to save up to buy a horse, doing chores and living a young teen life in a tiny town. It was just an adorable series and I did like ND I just preferred Trixie, she seemed more real to me at the time. I could relate to her and their lifestyle more than I could ND.

message 36: by Marla (last edited Oct 28, 2013 08:31AM) (new)

Marla | 1674 comments Sheri wrote: " Marla wrote: "I enjoy murder mysteries now, and LOVE serial killer thrillers. But I was never a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boy fan. I guess I need a body count to get me interested. Lost cookies or canoe..."

Yeah, no, I'm not a fan of real dead bodies in my children's mysteries. I just never realized I liked mysteries until I grew up and read adult murder mysteries.

@Sheri and Brooke - I am going to look up Trixie Belden and read one of her books. I actually need a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys book for a challenge, so I will use it for that.

message 37: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin Torres (kaytorres22) | 5 comments My childhood favorite was James and the Giant Peach. And I absolutely loved A Series of Unfortunate Events.

message 38: by Renee (last edited Apr 12, 2014 05:26PM) (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I loved Trixie Belden too. Some of my other favourite authors were Enid Blyton, Victor Kelleher, Susan Cooper, Isobelle Carmody.
I'm reading Roald Dahl with my kids at the moment. They also enjoy the magic treehouse books.