Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Group Business > NW by Zadie Smith Longlisted for Women's Prize for Fiction 2013

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2871 comments Mod
Set up in 1996 to celebrate and promote international fiction by women throughout the world to the widest range of readers possible, the Women's Prize for Fiction 2013 is awarded for the best novel of the year written by a woman. Any woman writing in English - whatever her nationality, country of residence, age or subject matter - is eligible.

Here is the full list:
http://www.booktrust.org.uk/prizes-an...

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 43 comments This was a really interesting read. She's a writer who isn't afraid to experiment and play

She's also willing to let her characters make mistakes and to be flawed in serious ways.

I think she does for a time and place in London what Revolutionary Road did for 1950's Suburbia -chronicals celebrates, criticizes and takes the reader there.

My only complaint was I felt there was too much emotional distance between the reader and the work.

message 3: by Nell (new)

Nell | 34 comments This book award was called the Orange Prize for fiction for many years, named after the company that until last year funded the award. Readers may know it by that name.