The Black Circle Readers discussion

1 view
Are you saying the words in your mind?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess there are readers who don't actually "speak" the words in their minds when they're reading. I can't imagine how they process the written word, but I'm told this is so. Are any of you one of these? If so, what's the deal?

message 2: by Russell (new)

Russell Dickerson (russelldickerson) My mind does speak the words, and in fact often over the course of the book I'll get a sense of voice to the characters as well. I don't that I hear the actual voice in my head (since that would compete with the already existing voices), but more just a strong sense that this is how this character speaks.

But, being a very visual person (obviously), I see the book more as a running video in my head, so having the characters speak in their own voice goes well with that.

Russ

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Russ said:

"But, being a very visual person (obviously), I see the book more as a running video in my head, so having the characters speak in their own voice goes well with that."

I'm the same and to the degree that the movie is always ruined for me with the lone exception being The Green Mile.

message 4: by Sean A M (new)

Sean A M | 1 comments Like Russ, I am also a visually oriented person, so that running video thing is right on the money - however there are no hard and fast rules. It really depends on the writing in question. A wordsmith like Gene Wolfe is going to command my attention with the written word, but something written in basic no-frills English tends to play out visually in the little theatre in my mind.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Man, I can't imagine reading fiction without the "visuals."

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm non-visual. I don't see running video.