ABNA discussion

Blood on the Sand (Z Plan #1)
This topic is about Blood on the Sand
ABNA Book Club > March Sci/Fan/Hor book discussion-Z PLAN BLOOD ON THE SAND

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikhail, Group Creator/Moderator (new) - added it

Mikhail Lerma (MLerma) | 104 comments Mod
Book discussion for Blood on the Sand by Mikhail Lerma.

Blood on the Sand (Z Plan #1) by Mikhail Lerma

Cale was sent to Iraq with the usual thoughts any Soldier going to war might have; being lonely away from his family, not wanting to take another human's life, and above all, the fear of never returning home. Although well trained, nothing could have prepared him for the horror he was about to face.

Cale never thought the thing that could keep him from ever seeing his wife and daughter again would be a zombie apocalypse. As he and a handful of fellow Soldiers escape their base after a massive zombie attack, becoming deserters in order to survive, he begins the long and unexpected journey home through the harsh terrain of the desert; a barren landscape now swarming with not only undead cannibals, but also the enemy he was originally sent to fight.

The newly formed group plans to travel west, find a boat and maybe, with a bit of luck, make it back to America. Cale is tested beyond his imagination and brought to the brink of insanity as he loses friends while fighting the flesh eating masses. He risks his life for weeks, focused on holding his wife and daughter in his arms again. It seems all hope is lost when he finds himself alone and adrift at sea ... but is hope really lost?

Inspired by my experiences as a U.S. Army Soldier in Iraq, BLOOD ON THE SAND delves into the idea of not just surviving a zombie apocalypse but making the seemingly impossible trek home. It is the first book in the Z PLAN series. Book two, RED TIDES, is currently in progress.

I feel weird starting this one since it's mine. So feel free to discuss amongst yourselves, and I'll chime in if you have any questions for me.

Wilson Harp | 8 comments I've read the first couple of chapters so far. It's interesting and as time allows I'll read more. I'm very familiar with military terminology and acronyms, so the paranthetical descriptions pop out at me, but I understand why you added them as it is a completely different language.

Will try to get a good portion of it read this weekend as I find some free time.

Laura Pascucci | 16 comments I really enjoyed this book and I am not a zombie person. I think that is because I saw "Night of The Living Dead" as a kid and it scared the crap out of me. Since then I have stayed away from anything zombie. But this book has changed that. Though a few times I found myself yelling at my i-pad "Don't go in there!" or "Don't go outside!" There are parts of the book I would like to discuss, but it would give away spoilers. Are we allowed to do that?

message 4: by Mikhail, Group Creator/Moderator (new) - added it

Mikhail Lerma (MLerma) | 104 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "There are parts of the book I would like to discuss, but it would give away spoilers. Are we allowed to do that?..."

To use spoiler tags , just put the word "spoiler" between angle brackets, type the spoiler, then sandwich it in a closing spoiler tag, which just has a forward slash in front of the word "spoiler".

(view spoiler)

This is also shown in the "(some html is ok)" link that shows up every time you are writing/editing a comment.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I really enjoyed this book and I am not a zombie person. I think that is because I saw "Night of The Living Dead" as a kid and it scared the crap out of me. Since then I have stayed away from anyth..."

Laura, I'm with you. I'm not a zombie person either. And quite honestly for the same reason. But I really liked this story. Truth be told, I sometimes have wondered about zombie movies where normal, everyday people, find a way to survive by becoming all violent. Honestly, if my little town was besieged by zombies, we'd be wiped off the map in a matter of seconds. However, told from a soldier's perspective, as this one was done, I was able to buy the whole "survival" concept.

Wilson Harp | 8 comments I did finish with the book and it was ok. I think that the portion (view spoiler) was very good. The story was clipping along and the action was taut where it needed. The rhythm of the story was fantastic during that stretch.

I did not particularly like the jumps in PoV, especially just to show someone's demise. I think it was overused and felt forced. Overall, the beginning was rocky and I think the end was too abrupt.

I did, however, like the realism and gritty feel of the world. I think this will make a fine base for future stories. Just needs a bit of tightening and streamlining.