♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Suggesting Books > Recommend Books!

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments Summer vacation is fast approaching for me (2 days!) and I've decided to get some recommendations from you guys! Basically, all I want you to tell me is what genre you want me to read. You have to be very specific about this one because simply saying YA doesn't cut it. I'm open to any type of book, middle grade, teens, or adult. Also, tell me why you want me to read from that particular genre! I'll be choosing the top 3 genres based on your reasoning. Well, it can be based by the number of times members recommend it, as well. :D

Plus! So that this would be more fun for you guys, I'm allowing you to put a maximum of 2 examples from that genre! It can be a book you really loved or a book you want me to review or just a book you think is good. Hahaha have fun recommending! I'll tell you the results by next week or so. :)

What? Recommend a genre for me to read from! Be specific!
When? March 2013 :-)
Why? I want to read what you guys think is a good read!
Who? Everyone can join in the fun in recommending and reading the books!

message 2: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Ooh fun! YA dystopian! I'd recommend Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee and The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 3: by RAI (new)

RAI | 1032 comments I recommend some romance/comedy manga (if you might be interested):

High School Debut, Vol. 1 (High School Debut, #1) by Kazune Kawahara Shinobi Life, Volume 1 (Shinobi Life, #1) by Shoko Conami Kimi ni Todoke From Me to You, Volume 1 by Karuho Shiina Tail of the Moon, Volume 1  by Rinko Ueda

This isn't romance, but it's still good: Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 by Kazue Kato

I find these short reads good for when I'm busy and I just want a quick story to make me laugh. Maybe it could do the same for you.... :)

message 4: by G. (last edited Mar 16, 2013 05:01AM) (new)

G. Rossignol (grossignol) | 1 comments Hello Pamela,

YA romance and journey to self-discovery.

Adventure (The Jane Saga Series, #2) by G. Rossignol Journey (The Jane Saga Series, #1) by G. Rossignol

Since I am the author of this new series, I would like to offer you a copy of each for review. Please send me a message if you are interested.

Have a nice summer!

Thank you,
Genevieve Rossignol

message 5: by Joanna Marie (new)

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) YA fairy tales - The Selection and Splintered

message 6: by Jael (last edited Mar 16, 2013 05:26AM) (new)

Jael (booksmartsxx) I agree with the self-discovery a little. So maybe books that are character-driven and you get to see how the character grows from being naive to a strong, relatable character. I would recommend Alanna The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce and really ANY book by Sarah Dessen: Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen . Btw. U got out SUPER early for summer, ur so lucky!!

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Since it's sor summer vacation, new adult contemporary romance would be perfect, Wait for You (Wait for You, #1) by J. Lynn is a great read so I would definitely recommend that, and I know this isn't a specific genre, but anything by J.lynn/Jennifer l. armentrout is definitely worth reading over the summer, she writes books that cover a range of different genre's but seriously, summer is the time for major eye candy, and she's got it all down with her amazing male characters

message 8: by James (new)

James | 2 comments for book ideas check out my blog.

http://thelostbookworm.blogspot.com/

message 9: by Alexxa (new)

Alexxa Reynolds (alexxa111) | 19 comments Dystopian for sure!!! Read the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. You won't be disappointed!!!!!

message 10: by Luna (new)

Luna -Girl Of Amethyst (luna_ni_lysistra) | 82 comments Some books that I think are good are
Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers
Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal, #1) by Stacey Jay
The Den of Shadows Quartet (Den of Shadows, #1-4) by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
They're all young adult

message 11: by Maira (new)

Maira | 516 comments i recommend
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi
Altered (Altered, #1) by Jennifer Rush

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike (thelowercasegimmick) | 1 comments My advice would be to read mainly from the survival genre. In my experience, survival books are a great outlet for authors to provide emotional and suspenseful stories with good character development. There's been exactly one dud that I've read, after reading six of them in the past 8 months. Some specifics: The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1) by Megan Crewe and its sequel, The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2) by Megan Crewe . These are two of my all-time favorite books. Also, Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin , which has a sequel, although I haven't read it yet. And then there's And All the Stars by Andrea K. Höst , which is more about aliens than survival, but it's still a pretty good example of what the genre can do.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Pivonka | 1 comments You will the book called courageous

message 14: by W.M.J. (new)

W.M.J. Kreucher Pamela,

Since spring is the time for love, I would recommend something in the romance genre.

Dandelion Man has some favorable reviews, I have included some here from readers, These don’t all show up on Goodreads.

I finished reading The Dandelion Man the other day and I must say that I enjoyed it very much. This book made me laugh, cry and re-live my teen years. I would recommend this book to anyone that has ever loved anyone. - Joe P.

Just finished your book. Great job! It brought back a lot of memories. - Gary

Loved it! Brought back all those memories. The words jumped off the pages and I was backin time!
Looking forward to the next book. Great writing! Thanks for sharing. - Diane

Started crying on the first page; laughed and cried throughout; couldn't put it down - June

I read your book and enjoyed every word! I am really impressed with your writing. You have a talent. - Rick

I am half way through the book and thoroughly enjoying it - Mary

Dandelion Man: The Four Loves

Dandelion Man: The Four Loves Dandelion Man The Four Loves by Walter M.J. Kreucher

message 15: by Logan (last edited Mar 16, 2013 09:16AM) (new)

Logan Byrne | 2 comments If you're into Twilight type books, my trilogy might be a good fit for you. Here is the page for the first book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17... Beginnings (The Trifectus Series, #1) by Logan Byrne

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria Gwinn (theyabookoholic) | 1 comments Young Adult Dystopian romance such as...The Iron King

message 17: by Sophie (last edited Mar 17, 2013 01:16PM) (new)

Sophie (Sophiebarnetuk) | 6 comments I can recommend two books that really made me think differently. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. neither are ya but are good short easy reads.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Baethge (22niel) | 13 comments Hahaha! time for me to suggest some sci-fi/fantasy I've written myself-
Right Now by Sarah Baethge this is a short story about detectives with fantasy powers
Panoptemitry by Sarah Baethge this is my science fiction novel with space travel, human medical testing, and alien religeons

message 19: by Rita (new)

Rita Silva (thebookdance) (_thebookdance) You should read romance novels, specially YA. The Fault in Our Stars that is one hell of a book, I've never cried and laughed harder with any other book
Divergent that is a fiction YA book with romance in the midle that is really awsome.

message 20: by Cathrina (new)

Cathrina Constantine (cathrinaconstantinecom) | 8 comments Hello, Pamela,
If you haven't read the dystopian novel, Divergent, or Insurgent by Veronica Roth, I'd clearly recommend them. Get started before she releases her third book in the trilogy. Both great reads!!

If you're in the mood for some romance and humor, I'd recommend Crazy Little Thing by Tracy Brogan. It was so funny I was laughing out loud.

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments i recommend nice easy reads like paranormal romance such as, Eternal Eden (Eden Trilogy, #1) by Nicole Williams and The Fallen Star (Fallen Star, #1) by Jessica Sorensen both of which I have read and really enjoyed.

message 22: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Anything by John Green

message 23: by Deonna (new)

Deonna | 5 comments Guardian of Time (Shardwell, #2) by Amanda Gerry . Great new fantasy.

message 24: by Usha (last edited Mar 16, 2013 10:03PM) (new)

Usha (u5hads) | 24 comments Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare
I'll go for these two great dystopian novels. Well I'm looking forward to read The infernal devices final book Clockwork Princess to be released on 19th March.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

>.< here are me favs
Wonder by R.J. Palacio Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff

message 26: by Liza (new)

Liza (gracefulserendipity) I would say go for YA Contemporary. Some might be a bit older, but these books either have a timeless feel to them or address serious issues that can break your heart into pieces.

Shine by Lauren Myracle The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin Illegal by Bettina Restrepo Looking for Alaska by John Green North of Beautiful by Justina Chen What Can(t) Wait by Ashley Hope Pérez

If you want older characters and not necessarily YA contemporary read one of these two:
Easy by Tammara Webber Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

If what you really want is Sci Fi/Dystopian then you need to get started on this series:
The Adoration of Jenna Fox Chapters 1-5 by Mary E. Pearson The Fox Inheritance (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #2) by Mary E. Pearson Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #3) by Mary E. Pearson

Have fun!

message 27: by Jacky (new)

Jacky (booklovingjacky) I would recommend Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier because it's not very well-known outside of Germany ;) It#s about time-travelling and a trilogy :) Also, I liked Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth in fact, it's one f my fav trilogies :D any John Green books are great and Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices:) I'm so looking for Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare :) I hope I could help you:) best wishes from Germany!

message 28: by arabella (new)

arabella | 26 comments I would probably read The Host by Stephanie Meyers. The Host is different from the sci-fi genre. I just finished The Host. In the beginning it is slow to start, but after about probably 150 pages it gets interesting. The genre of this book is adult sci-fi. Stephanie said it will probably be a series and that she is also working on the second book. It will probably be worth reading.
Another book series I would read in your case is probably the Percy Jackson and the Olympians and the heroes of Olympus. There is five books in each series. The first entire series is all out. The second series only has 3 books out unfortunately.
Another series of books I would read is wolves of mercy falls. There is only three books. This series involves wolves and humans. It is some way similar to twilight but Bella and Jacob without Edward and his vampire family. Also without reneesme.
I would while sitting down read the divergent series. It is dystopian and very entertaining. There is two books in the series. There is another book which is hopefully awesome to.
I've heard that the perks of being a wallflower is a good fun read.
I would read the hunger games series despite the disappointing last book mockingjay. This series takes place in the future North America in Panem. It is dystopian also. It was a great series.
I'm currently read the raven boys so far it is interesting. It depends on whether you like clairvoyant women.

message 29: by arabella (new)

arabella | 26 comments I would also read the mortal instruments it is a enjoyed series by me. It is urban ya fiction in a world of shadow hunters.

message 30: by Cathrina (new)

Cathrina Constantine (cathrinaconstantinecom) | 8 comments I'm looking forward to reading Clockwork Princess. Clare's third installment to the Infernal Devices.

message 31: by Serena (new)

Serena I'm loving YA horror/thrillers right now. I'm a bit over saturated with paranormal and the like, so I've been actively searching for more creepy or scary fare. There's not much out there, so the genre is fairly fresh.

Right now, my absolute favorite is Jenny Pox. Warning: even though its billed as "YA", its definitely for more mature readers.

message 32: by Deonna (last edited Mar 17, 2013 02:14PM) (new)

Deonna | 5 comments I loved Crux by Julie Reece and The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna . Also enjoying The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay (all young adult)

message 33: by RAI (new)

RAI | 1032 comments Liza wrote: "I would say go for YA Contemporary. Some might be a bit older, but these books either have a timeless feel to them or address serious issues that can break your heart into pieces.

[bookcover:Shi..."

Hey, was the Adoration of Jenna Fox good? I've had the book for a long time just sitting on my book shelf and I have yet to read it...

message 34: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) romance defintely

maybe,Sweet Little Lies

message 35: by Logan (new)

Logan hastings (bookgeek224) | 1 comments i suggest science fiction particulary a book called "enders game" or maybe even adult horror i suggest "watchers" by dean koontz its not soo much as scary as it is about two people living life and creating something special if your not into these books thats fine i will read what you read

message 36: by S.M. (new)

S.M. Hineline (smhineline) | 8 comments YA fantasy, because it's summer reading at it's best, something fun and great for relaxing in a hammock. A summer book should be entertaining and light, a literary version of an sparkling iced lemonade.

My 2 picks are mine ( Hunting by S.M. Hineline and Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor (but start with Daughter of Smoke and Bone if you haven't already.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 60 comments Hi! I strongly recommend Traffic Jam by Melissa Groeling ---it's a YA suspense novel, centering around human trafficking. It's quite a roller coaster ride!

message 38: by joanne (new)

joanne (cabeswaters) The first I would recommend contempory/chick-lit, for summer reading. Something well written and relatable that can take your mind off things, and give you a good cry.
Some suggestions:
Just Listen or anything else by Sarah Dessen
Every Day by David Levithan
Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

The other genre I would suggest would be some well written high fantasy, to balance out the summer days of fun- something gripping that will keep you up reading late at night
Some suggestions:
The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
Wild Magic or anything else by Tamora Pierce
Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen Every Day by David Levithan Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) by Tamora Pierce Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

message 39: by Grace P (new)

Grace P (gracefulreads) I love YA Dystopian Fiction, its the best ever here are some examples of my favorite YA Dystopian reads
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth or
The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

message 40: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) My thing lately is to read books with the word Summer in the title which are usually YA contemporary. Or I would go with something psychological/paranormal like Clarity by Kim Harrington or Forgotten by Cat Patrick. Anything by Lisa McMann. I like books that are page-turners in the summer since I so easily get distracted by pretty birds and greenery!

message 41: by Leah (new)

Leah Spiegel | 1 comments I'll shamelessly recommend my own series. It makes for a fun summer read!Foolish Games andUninvited

message 42: by Renee (new)

Renee (thebookroyal) I would definitely suggest Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth
and Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand

message 43: by Lucinda (last edited Mar 26, 2013 12:24AM) (new)

Lucinda | 18 comments I'd recommend the book I'm currently reading Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld and Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry They are all YA :)

message 44: by Erica (new)

Erica (giraffebox) | 1 comments wings
tithe
otherkin

message 45: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 9 comments Hi Pam, I'm a big fan of YA. Emerald Green is coming out this summer. So if you haven't read the Ruby Red Trilogy, I highly recommend it.
Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier Kirsten Gier Sapphire Blue (Book 2 Ruby Red Trilogy) by Kerstin Gier

I'm also a huge fan of the Clockwork Angels series. The Infernal Devices Clockwork Angel; Clockwork Prince; Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #1-3) by Cassandra Clare

I also enjoyed the Stained Series by James Ella from old catalog c Selman.

message 46: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 9 comments Hi Pam,

Almost forgot about Alyxandra Harvey. Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey is a delightful YA with amazing twists in the plot.

I'm also a big fan of the Drake series...though the 2nd to last book was not one that I liked very much. Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles, #2) by Alyxandra Harvey
My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1) by Alyxandra Harvey
Out for Blood (Drake Chronicles, #3) by Alyxandra Harvey

message 47: by Madea (new)

Madea (mlbo) a lot of great ones mentioned already. Ashfall was one of my favorites. But one not mentioned yet i enjoyed was Article 5