Webcomic Wonderland discussion

General Discussions > Best of 2012 (or so...)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
What the best stuff everyone's seen/read/played for the first time in roughly the last year? (up until now - I'm more interested in hearing what people like than having things left out based on pages of the calendar :) )

Doesn't have to have come out then, just been the first time you've experienced it.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
I'm sure I'll forget a thing or ten, but here goes:

Books: Talion: Revenant, Desdaemona, Judgment at Proteus
Short stories: way too many to remember, but Steampunk Rat, A New Kind of Sunrise, and Bloodlines spring to mind
Manga: Cross Game, Rosario Vampire Season II, Drops of God
Comics: I Kill Giants, Saga
Webcomics: Gunnerkrigg Court, FreakAngels

Movies: Skyfall, Dark Knight Rises
TV: Leverage season 5 (fantastic send off to a great series), Sherlock series 2
Video games: Fire Emblem Awakening, Marvel Pinball, DOA5

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Books: Hounded
Short Stories: N/A
Manga: Yotsuba&!, Vol. 1, A Bride's Story, Vol. 1, Bunny Drop 1, Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom, Bakuman, Band 1: Traum und Realität
Comics: Creature Tech, Ghostopolis, Anya's Ghost, Friends with Boys, American Vampire, Vol. 1
Webcomics: The Fox Sister Chapter 1: Little Sister, Dreamless
Movies: Brave, Dredd, Cabin in the Woods
TV: Face Off season 3, The Legend of Korra
Video Games: Goof Troop

message 4: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Books: The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Magic or Madness, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Short Stories: I can't remember all the titles, but Zombies vs. Unicorns had some amazing short stories. Also some that I didn't much care for, but that's nearly always the case with such compilations. There were a couple in Vermilion Sands that were really good as well, though I was disappointed with the collection as a whole.
Manga: N/A
Comics: It's slightly outside the year benchmark, but I did read the entire Sandman series for the first time in late 2011.
Webcomics: Lackadaisy, Little Dee, FreakAngels, Rice Boy, Gunnerkrigg Court
Movies: Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, The Hunger Games, True Grit, Ip Man 2
TV: Burn Notice, Life, Warehouse 13, Black Books
Video Games: Spore, Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Kayleigh wrote: "Comics: It's slightly outside the year benchmark, but I did read the entire Sandman series for the first time in late 2011."

Was it as good as it's reputation? I'm a big fan of Gaiman but never got around to it (only mildly interested for some reason).

---

2013's continuing along with some great stuff for me - Arisa's a fantastic manga so far, Superman: Secret Identity was amazing and Soul Hackers is a really fun, deep game.

Special mention to Guacamelee - an amusingly ridiculous platforming game that is incredibly well made and reminds me of the old NES games that were the kind of difficult that made you want to keep playing to get better, not the kind that makes you want to break your controllers...

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva I have only read the first absolute volume of Sandman, my library system's selection of graphic novels is very limited, but it was amazing. If you are in the mood for something darker, but in an intellectually stimulating and thought provoking manner, give it a try. Yes, some horrible things do happen, but unlike a lot of the 'great' graphic novels they didn't occur just for the sake of horrible things happening and I didn't feel it needed a trigger warning.

message 7: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Mike wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "Comics: It's slightly outside the year benchmark, but I did read the entire Sandman series for the first time in late 2011."

Was it as good as it's reputation? I'm a big fan of G..."

Some volumes were stronger than others, but on the whole I really liked the series. It's very dark and a little confusing at times, but if that doesn't bother you it's well worth checking out.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Dark and requiring thought don't bother me a bit, so it sounds like I should definitely check it out at some point.

Thank you both!