Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > some questions

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivana (last edited Mar 13, 2013 03:54AM) (new)

Ivana Nika (ivananika) | 25 comments hello, everyone.
I have put many new books on goodreads, basically because of the language. I am from Croatia, and mostly reading in croatian so i found important to put editions of books published in croatian language and by croatian publishers.
I am wondering after doing so, why are some of the content descriptions i have put there, changed into english ones, and do different editions add up to variety of goodreads books or do they do harm.
Also another q I'm faced with is a big number of duplicates which suggests people don't realize that the main factor of adding a new book is ISBN, and i wish nobody would add up new books without knowing what isbn is, and what does it mean.
there, thanks for any answers and suggestions.

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea Ivana, some books do not have ISBNs (published before ISBNs were started) or they have shared ISBNs (oldest publication date gets to keep the ISBN). That is why some books on GR do not have ISBNs. It does not make them illegitimate for adding to GR.

message 3: by Ivana (new)

Ivana Nika (ivananika) | 25 comments I am aware of that. thank you.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23256 comments Ivana, sometimes one language description overrides another language, when someone ticks the "set this as the default description box".

Your Croatian descriptions shouldn't be affected but I've seen it happen before. Even English books get Indonesian descriptions.

All you can do is fix it again.

As to the number of editions, the more the better. Especially different languages. I'm sure GR strives to be more inclusive, and different languages can only improve that.

message 5: by Ivana (last edited Mar 13, 2013 04:52AM) (new)

Ivana Nika (ivananika) | 25 comments thank you sandra.