SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > I got a job!!!!!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
I got a job! Finally. :D
As most of you know I have been unemployed for over 2.5 years now (damn the economical crisis) and I finally found a job and what is even better I start Monday! I am going to work for a cabcompany that only transports people with handicaps (either mental or physical) and I am going to schedule all the cabs and who they are going to pick up next.
Since it will seriously cut into my reading time this will give all of you a chance to beat me in challenges. :)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith That's so great Barbara! I'm really happy for you :) And not because I might just be able to read more than you now, hahaha. Anyway, you can make up for it by buying more books :D

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Meyer | 15 comments Great stuff Barbara - hope you really enjoy it!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Thanks guys! I am sure I am going to enjoy it. I tlooks like a very interesting and busy job, just what I want!
I am already thinking of all the books I can buy. I just have to find the time to read them now. :)

message 5: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Congratulations! I went for a job interview on Monday and hopefully I will have news soon too :)

message 6: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I start on Monday as well. Mine is only a 6-month contract but the extra money will be wonderful!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Holding thumbs Chrizette :)

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Chrizette wrote: "I start on Monday as well. Mine is only a 6-month contract but the extra money will be wonderful!"

Oh hey, you got it, that's great! Congrats!

message 9: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Wish we were all nearer to each other - would have had a nice little celebration party, right Barbara?

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Great congrats Chrizette! Funny that we heard back on the same day!
A 6 month contract can always lead to more. You just have to make yourself invaluable to the company.

Oh yes! if we were nearer to each other I definitely would have thrown a party. Now I am going to celebrate all by myself. Just did some grocery shopping and got myself some nice fish for dinner tonight to celebrate. I wish it was time for dinner already.

message 11: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Congrats guys!
@Barbara: Enjoy the celebration dinner

message 12: by Sharle (new)

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments Congrats to both of you! Less time for reading and more money for books = enormous TBR lists!

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
That is fantastic news both of you!

I'm holding a virtual drink and cheers'ing :)

message 14: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2446 comments Mod
Congrats to both of you! Hope it works out awesomely.

message 15: by Claudia (last edited Mar 13, 2013 12:05PM) (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Congrats Barbara and Chrizette. I can already see all the new books piling up. :)

message 16: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2044 comments Mod
Wonderful news! I hope you both enjoy it and thanks for giving us a (slim) chance of catching up, Barbara!

message 17: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
Awesome for both of you. Hope you settle in quickly and really enjoy the new challenges the jobs bring!

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Thanks guys!
I must say I am a little apprehensive. I haven't worked in such a long time that it is a bit daunting to go to work every day. But I am also looking forward to it and can't wait to start.

message 19: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
You are going to rock it Barbara :)

message 20: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments How did the first two days go, Barbara? My training only starts on Monday, so I am still lazing around :)

message 21: by Barbara (new)

They went great. They were very easy but I was still very tired at the end of the day. They are letting me see all the different departments and aspects that lead to what I will be doing. So the first two days I have spent tagging along with the drivers that pick up the people and to whom I will be saying who to pick up where and at what time. So it showed me how they communicate and how they get the messages I will be sending. Starting tomorrow I will be trained in using the computers systems and I will spend time on the department where the calls come in from people who want to book a cab and then in a week or two when I have become familiar with all the systems I will finally be trained to plan all the pick ups and cabs and stuff.
Everyone has been very kind and has made me feel welcome. But my body still has to get used to getting up early and walking 30 minutes to work and back. So I am really tired, but I love it. I hope you will love your new job and colleagues as much as I do.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Glad your first day went so well!

message 23: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I will be doing medical underwriting, so I need some training in not only the computer systems and programmes but also in the actual medical side of it all. Luckily I worked with two of the "in-house" computer programmes while I worked there previously, so I am sure I will pick it up soon. Our department is only four people (including me) and I worked with two of them for a long time previously. So I am sure we will get along fine. Today we are going on a team building day (only been there two days and we are already doing fun stuff!) and next week there is a breakfast in celebration of a target reached :) The days are just long because I do not have actual work yet, so I just look around on the different systems and read the different queries, etc. The "fun" will start when I have to start reaching targets every day but I believe you can do anything if you put your mind on it.

message 24: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Glad it went well Barbara and that everyone is welcoming :D

That sounds really interesting Chrizette!

message 25: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Got some bad medical news tonight that will require that I take a week or two off from work (will post in a seperate post - don't want to bore anyone), so I am unsure if my new employer will keep me on as I haven't signed my contract yet. The people dealing with that is on leave till next week.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Great news! My trial period at work is ending tomorrow and they have offered me a contract for 6 months which is fairly standard for a first contract especially since unemployment is still growing in the Netherlands. So I am celebrating this weekend.

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Great news! My trial period at work is ending tomorrow and they have offered me a contract for 6 months which is fairly standard for a first contract especially since unemployment is still growing in the Netherlands. So I am celebrating this weekend.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith That's awesome Barbara, congrats! What are you doing to celebrate?

message 29: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
That is awesome news Barbara! Still the same hours?

message 30: by Crusader (new)

Congrats Barbara! Guess that's 6 more months of challenge wins for the rest of us. *ducks*

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Crusader wrote: "Congrats Barbara! Guess that's 6 more months of challenge wins for the rest of us. *ducks*"

Lol, what do you mean? She's actually reading faster now.

message 32: by Crusader (new)

Just teasing.

message 33: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Thats great Barbara :)

message 34: by Barbara (new)

Thanks!
Yes the hours aren't getting any better. In fact they are getting worse. The next 4 days I have to work from 05:30 till 14:30. That means I have to get up at 03:30. Not something I look forward to. The getting up before the sun part. I do look forward to the reponsibility that comes with it, because it means I have to start everything up in the morning.
I bought some nice things to eat and right now I am at the movies. There is an intermission right now and I can't wait for the second part of Star Trek to start. After the movie I unfortunately have to rush home and go to bed. So no more reading tonight. That should put your mind at ease Crusader. Although I do have a further 4 books to update for the Mishmash challenge which makes my new total 20 tasks finished. :)

message 35: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Ouch yea getting up at 3:30 can't be fun!

Enjoy Star Trek! I enjoyed it :)

message 36: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments My 6 month contract is coming to an end in November. A permanent position opened up in a department that I helped out in November last year, and the manager asked me to apply. I thought it only fair to inform my current boss that I applied as I have a month and bit still left in my contract. She did not take it well at all. (lol) A few days later, I was asked to apply for my current position as well (they had placed the advert that day). That was a week ago. I was offered the permanent position (my current job) today :) They are still working out the details but the job will be mine if I want it.

message 37: by Crusader (new)

That's awesome news! Congrats.

message 38: by Carolien (new)

Wonderful news! (And no doubt it feels great to be appreciated!)

message 39: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Fantastic news! So happy for you :)

message 40: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Excellent, congrats Chriz!

message 42: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you :)

message 43: by Barbara (new)

That is fantastic news! You deserve it. Congrats!

message 44: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you!

message 45: by Barbara (new)

Again I have great news about my job. My 6 month contract is ending in 5 weeks and yesterday they told me they wanted to give me a new contract for a year.

I was really surprised that they already told me. That isn't normal at all. They normally let you know a week before your contract expires. The only thing I can think of why they already told me is that they didn't want to run the risk of me looking for another job and leaving and so they already let me know they wanted to keep me.

So again I will be celebrating. Don't know what I am going to do yet, but I am sure I can think of something that will probably involve books. ;)

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith That's wonderful, congratulations Barbara!

message 47: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Congratulations! That is wonderful news!

message 48: by Carolien (new)

That's great news!

message 49: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Fantastic news Barbara! So happy for you :)

message 50: by Barbara (new)

Thanks guys!

« previous 1