Linguistics Discussion 2013 and Beyond discussion

Sociolinguistics > Speech

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, The Go-To Guy (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 92 comments Mod
So, my university course on linguistics is in the area of sociolinguistics. As a start to discussing this area one thought was prompted in me: what makes a strong speaker of English or language?

The conclusion made by some is that Stephen Fry is a strong speaker, as are all truly witty comedians. They balance eloquence (which the Queen possesses) with the ability to speak directly to all the people while also possessing the ability to hold the audience and command presence. Other examples I can think of are Shaun Micalef (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6g6gb...) and Robert Downey Jnr. Other thoughts?

message 2: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 26 comments Mod
Context is all.

What is strong in one situation or to one type of audience might be completely wrong in another.

message 3: by Jonathan, The Go-To Guy (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 92 comments Mod
Which is why some argued that comedians seem to be able to bridge that gap between the common individual and the upper class 'Queen's English' type of speaker.

I believe there is such a thing as an objectively good speaker but as you say context often defines these ideas. I personally think that a strong objective speaker is one who possesses a definable level of charisma and is able to draw in an audience.