Orthodoxy discussion

Favorite prayer book/horologion/breviary/diurnal

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Jordanville, for me. I also like the little red travel size one put out by the Antiochian Archdiocese.

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick Xylas | 11 comments I'm afraid it's the Pray Daily Android app for me. I know, I know....

message 3: by NormaCenva (last edited Mar 15, 2013 09:03AM) (new)

NormaCenva I myself like the prayers included into the Orthodox Study Bible but most of the time use the Prayer Book I have that was printed in commemoration of the 15th Anniversary of St. Catherine the Great Martyr Church as the Moscow Representation of the Orthodox Church in America (1994-2009) their "Orthodox Prayers" are in contemporary English, easy to understand and it is small enough to take it with you virtually anywhere.

message 4: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) My favourite is a little book that I use in conjunction with my (marked up) that has the Optina prayer and a number of others missing from the Antiochian. The name escapes me but I'll find it out if anyone is interested.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Vivanco | 14 comments Nick wrote: "I'm afraid it's the Pray Daily Android app for me. I know, I know...."
Hey, don't worry about it....at least you're praying!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Vivanco | 14 comments I use the manual from the St. Philips Prayer Discipline. from Orthdodixie podcaster Fr. Joseph Hunnycut
http://www.stphilipsprayerdiscipline....
The book is a little old and beat up and I need to get another one!...I've been look for them on EBAY but to no avail...guess I'll have to spend the $25 to get another one from their website...:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I use the prayer book and psalter produced by the Holy Transfiguration Monastery.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Stevenson | 7 comments That is a good prayerbook. Iy's been around for awhile. However for new Orthodox starting out I wouldn't recommend it.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Chris, why wouldn't you recommend it?

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Stevenson | 7 comments Because the Morning &evrning prayers are so long. I always advise new Orthodox to start out small and build up to a larger prayerbook such as the Jordanville. I personally like the little red prayerbook put out by the Antiocians or the Orthodox Daily Prayers by St. Tikhon's Seminary. They have it for free on Project Gutenberg in epub and mobi format.

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria Ah. I learned so much as a newbie from the longer prayers, I always feel the opposite about them. THe shorter prayers, in my view, are great shorthand when we ALREADY know the intentions and meanings of Orthodox prayer. So I tended to use the really long stuff first. With my priest as a guide of course. :)
Thanks for answering my question, Chris. I was so curious. :) It sounds like we both want new Orthodox to have the best position to start out from. :) Thanks for chatting with me.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Stevenson | 7 comments choosing a prayerbook is personal and should be donebwith great care andbwith guidence of your priest.

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria definitely! :) You've a good head on your shoulders, Chris. :)

message 14: by Kristofer (new)

Kristofer Carlson (carlsonloggie) | 12 comments The Jordanville Prayer book is available on the Android. https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

message 15: by Kristofer (new)

Kristofer Carlson (carlsonloggie) | 12 comments St Alexis Press has a good prayer book for the Android. It allows for personalization, so you can enter in the names of your priest, your church, your friends and family, etc. https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Stevenson | 7 comments I have the Jordanville in epub format for my iPad.

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments For the mornings when I am beginning a busy day and don't have the time or motivation for lengthy prayers, and want simple-but-to-the-point prayers, I like the small, blue pocket-sized book the Greek Archdiocese puts out. I don't like the morning and afternoon prayers in the Jordanville Prayerbook, but use it for all the other wonderful things it has in it (akathists etc.).

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

What is it you don't like about the prayers? Is it the Elizabethan English?

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments Cheryl wrote: "What is it you don't like about the prayers? Is it the Elizabethan English?"
That is a lot of it. They are also too long. I'd have to look at them a little more closely to be more specific. Some of them, I think, just don't seem to be applicable to what I need to be praying for. I just prefer other prayers (such as two of St. Phileret's, Psalm 104 (or is it 103 in the OSB?, the Jesus Prayer,and the Trisagion, and the morning prayers in my little blue prayer book. I do use the Jordanville at times, but not routinely.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris Stevenson | 7 comments I use several prayerbooks out there and I use several. I rotate etween then just to keep it fresh.

message 21: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Sorry, cross-posting here but I have been reading 'The Holy Bible and the Desert Fathers'. Great book. Follows the reading cycle of the Church.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

There's another one called "The Bible and the Holy Fathers" that takes you through the church year with scripture readings and quotes from the Fathers for each day. It's really wonderful. I'll have to check this one out and compare.

message 23: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Cheryl wrote: "There's another one called "The Bible and the Holy Fathers" that takes you through the church year with scripture readings and quotes from the Fathers for each day. It's really wonderful. I'll have..."

That's actually the one I meant!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh! Well then, I agree wholeheartedly, great book:)

message 25: by Don (new)

Don (cyprian64) | 3 comments I used the little red pocket prayer book put out by the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese daily for morning and evening prayer. I also use it for pre and post communion prayers. When I have more time, I love the Dynamic Horologion & Psalter on the web. It's outstanding.

message 26: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Don, the dynamic site is great. Thanks for sharing!

message 27: by Don (new)

Don (cyprian64) | 3 comments You are welcome. I too was pretty amazed at it. Using the menu on the left you can go directly to what service is applicable at the present time. Or just click one you want. It's pretty neat stuff.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Don wrote: "I used the little red pocket prayer book put out by the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese daily for morning and evening prayer. I also use it for pre and post communion prayers. When I have..."

Yes. The little pocket prayer book is great. Very portable, too. I love the prayer of a child, haven't found it anywhere else.

message 29: by Lene (new)

Lene Jaqua | 46 comments Just putting in my 2 cents' worth. I use Daily Readings from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese on my iPad. It can be gotten for free in the lite version, or you can pay a small amount, don't remember, but like $4.99 or so. It has the daily readings and then a series of prayers for every occasion. It also has the saints of the day along with the daily readings. It basically functions as a calendar.

Since I got that I have never looked back for my morning and evening prayers.

Wanted to mention one other devotional tool that really helps me for meditation. It is called Insight Timer, and is also an app for iPad. It has a beginning and an ending bell for meditation, the bells come in different sounds and loudnesses to gently begin and end your meditation. You can put an image up, and of course i always use an icon of the season (which I get off the web). So I usually meditate with an icon, with the Insight Timer for a fixed amount of time every night to settle and focus before bed. It also has a journal feature (as well as it tracks your meditation time and frequency), so you can journal before or after your meditation. It is a yoga tool, of course, but I simply adapt it to Orthodox purposes.

message 30: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 15 comments Don wrote: "I used the little red pocket prayer book put out by the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese daily for morning and evening prayer. I also use it for pre and post communion prayers. When I have..."

Please give the web page for the Dynamic Horologion and Psalter. Thank you.

message 31: by Don (new)

Don (cyprian64) | 3 comments Anne, I would have included it but assumed links would not be allowed. Anyway, here it goes! http://orthodox.seasidehosting.st/sea...

message 32: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 15 comments Thank you Don. And yes, links are allowed here on GR.

message 33: by Steve (new)

Steve I have an old (4th edition) Jordanville prayer book. It's the best I've ever owned. I'm sure there's a new one out. I haven't checked to see if one is available for Kindle.