sistv bookworms discussion

April Contemporary Book > Water for Elephants

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
SORRY LEE! lol. the people spoke.
this is our contemp book for this month, ladies :)
feel free to read it and join in the discussions that will hopefully be going on.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) AMAZING book! If my book wasn't out on loan, I'd be tempted to re-read it. That's how good it is. Enjoy ladies!

message 3: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* LOL at least I only JUST finished reading it in the last couple of weeks, so it is still fresh in my mind to be able to join on the discussions!

message 4: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments This is a great book. I will look forward to the discussion. Renae

message 5: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
i'm still waiting for my book to arrive :)

message 6: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
still waiting. whats up with that!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jalester) | 4 comments This was such an amazing book. I finished it I think in three or four days. And not to give anything away, but I just want to say that the ending is one of the best endings I have ever read.

message 8: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* YAY - I am glad someone has finished!! I have been waiting to have a bit of a discuss.
Jessica I TOTALLY agree with you - this was one book I couldn't put down. Debra kindly loaned it to me, and I ended up buying my own copy!
I though Gruen's writing style was excellent, I especially adored her portrayal of Jacob as an old man - the dialogue for him was sensational. One of my favourite parts is that first line in chapter one where he is explaining his age, and he then goes on in the next two paragraphs to explain it further and - that was GOLD! The book had me from there!
There were only a couple of things in the book that in the book that annoyed me, but I won't go into those until a bit later - and then I think I might have just been overly picky!
And yup, the ending was dynamite!

message 9: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
woohoo. mine finally arrived today!
i bought a used copy off amazon. i love used copies.
this one is especially great as is has a 'king county library' sticker on the front, with a bar code.
so naughty.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jalester) | 4 comments Can we just start talking about details or should we wait until more people have finished cause I don't want to give anything away. :(

message 11: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* Jessica wrote: "Can we just start talking about details or should we wait until more people have finished cause I don't want to give anything away. :("

I know.... I am itching to talk about this one in detail!!

Perhaps we can preface with the big **SPOILER** or something so people can skip over if they wish...

message 12: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
Perhaps we can preface with the big **SPOILER** or something so people can skip over if they wish...

exactly what lee said.
you can start new threads too ladies, if you want to discuss specific events/characters/themes, etcetc. it will make it easier for those of us who have only started reading it, to know not where to click!

message 13: by gabrielle (new)

gabrielle (gabbe) | 8 comments i just posted my spoiler review in my books. i hope it doesn't ruin it for anyone. I titled it with an alert hoping people won't read it that haven't finished. i'm sorry if i messed it up somehow.

i too, thoroughly enjoyed this book. can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!
& today, i just bought our family tix to see the circus in June-yeah, we're rubes & we're gonna have so much fun! LOL

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) Yanno Sara Gruen has a couple other books out and I'd really like to read them. I'm a horse lover, and they have to do with horses I think? I'm curious, does this author's writing style make you all want to go out and buy another one of her books?

And did I hear/see soemwhere that she is writing a book about apes or something?