David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
This topic is about Anna and the French Kiss
Buddy Reads! > Anna and the French Kiss Buddy Read!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Jenny and I are reading Anna and the French Kiss together! All are free to join the discussion!!

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I already read it, so I may be able to join in!

Simone | 67 comments Hey there my friend David! How many pages a day are you reading and how far along are you guys? I would like to join! :)

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments OK. Please tell me you're reading this for research into the teenaged/high school romance mind. I'm about 20% into it and desperately hoping it will improve. It is very . . . light.
(yes, yes, I realise I sound like a snob -- lol)

Also, the narrator is less than stellar. This may be one that needs to be read in print.

message 5: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Mar 13, 2013 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I have not heard great things about this audiobook Jenny. I read it in print and loved it in that format. It is a light read so if you are not into those then you may not want to continue.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Thanks Heidi - I think I'll stick with it, even though the narrator is just ok. I hate to bail with all the great reviews -- the author touched on the idea that this girl can appreciate that her parents made this decision about her life because they thought it would benefit her. But she wishes they'd given her a choice. Great theme there - and I have to admit that at the end of Chapter 8 when St. Clair says "welcome to Paris," it was sweet.

message 7: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

DeAnna wrote: "I already read it, so I may be able to join in!"

Lol your comments are always welcome ;) You didn't like it, eh?

message 8: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Simone wrote: "Hey there my friend David! How many pages a day are you reading and how far along are you guys? I would like to join! :)"

Hi Simone!! Definitely join in! We're not too formal with buddy reads here, no set chapters/pages per day, so just start reading and jump in the discussion. Just post how far you are and include spoiler tags for anything that might give the story away ;) Great to have you!!

message 9: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny wrote: "Thanks Heidi - I think I'll stick with it, even though the narrator is just ok. I hate to bail with all the great reviews -- the author touched on the idea that this girl can appreciate that her p..."

I'm glad you've liked some things about it ;) I'm up to Chapter 30, 67%. First off, like Heidi, it's out of my normal comfort zone, not what I would normally read. But like you Jenny, I've heard good things. Personally, I like the MC. She cracks me up completely and I'm enjoying some of her conversations, particularly with St Clair. Although I do not necessarily like (view spoiler)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Actually, if you go by Goodreads' descriptions, I said it was ok. lol I didn't not like it, but I just wasn't impressed with it. Unfortunately, that's been happening a lot to me lately.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I am not into romances normally so I was excited that I found one that was smart and funny and as David pointed out not "insta love" which I dislike. It was nice to read something in a genre that I don't normally care for and actually like it so I rated it highly based upon that. I hate Nicholas Sparks and am also not into Jennifer Echols so for me this type of romance was just right. I also enjoyed Amy and Roger's Epic Detour Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson so I recommend that to anyone who likes Anna.

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) This is a sweet book! You should all read it! :)

My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 13: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks Joanna, I quite enjoyed your review ;)

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) Awww that made me blush Dave, thanks! :)

message 15: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're most welcome :) I'm not much of a review writer myself so I always appreciate a good one!

message 16: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments I'm ditching the audio and getting it in print. I have much higher hopes for it there. I'll let you know --

message 17: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL cool, sounds like the right move ;) That'll give Simone time to catch up!

message 18: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

DeAnna wrote: "Actually, if you go by Goodreads' descriptions, I said it was ok. lol I didn't not like it, but I just wasn't impressed with it. Unfortunately, that's been happening a lot to me lately."

LOL that's true! I'm quite liking it, for some reason I just find the dialogue really witty :)

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) David wrote: "You're most welcome :) I'm not much of a review writer myself so I always appreciate a good one!"
**Hugs**

Isabel (Sab The Book Eater) (sabgomez) | 10 comments Gaaaah I'm totally joining the discussion! I read this last year and I absolutely enjoyed it!

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) Way to go Isabel! :)

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isabel wrote: "Gaaaah I'm totally joining the discussion! I read this last year and I absolutely enjoyed it!"

LOL you're welcome to join in too!! I can't wait to finish and then you can hear what I think and give me your thoughts too! I'm sort of excited/nervous for the whole thing. I think after reading The Fault in our Stars, I just get worried for all the characters I like now.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Oh, whoopsies... Wanted to see what the first chapter was like and I'm now 36% in. Hehehe... Now I have to finish!

I think I needed a nice light read and am really enjoying the setting of Paris! David, you're right. The dialogue is really fun and I'm loving Anna!

Another great recommend from Heidi! You rock, book pimp!

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments David, have you read Shark Bait (Grab Your Pole #1) by Jenn Cooksey ? I found that one so hilarious that no other contemporary has really compared. Well, I really loved The Fault in Our Stars. Maybe those colored my opinion?

message 25: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen wrote: "Oh, whoopsies... Wanted to see what the first chapter was like and I'm now 36% in. Hehehe... Now I have to finish!

I think I needed a nice light read and am really enjoying the setting of Pari..."

Hahaha! I fear I dragged you (*kicking and screaming*) into another buddy read! I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as me though!

message 26: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

DeAnna wrote: "David, have you read Shark Bait (Grab Your Pole #1) by Jenn Cooksey? I found that one so hilarious that no other contemporary has really compared. Well, I really loved The Fault in Our Stars. Maybe those colored ..."

Lol I haven't but it looks awesome! Yeah TFIOS leaves an impact although I'm really quite enjoying Anna ;) (Ahhhnnnaa! Lol)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Karen wrote: "Oh, whoopsies... Wanted to see what the first chapter was like and I'm now 36% in. Hehehe... Now I have to finish!

I think I needed a nice light read and am really enjoying the setting of Pari..."

Woot woot! Love me some St. Clair.

Simone | 67 comments 21% done and it's cute so far... :)

message 29: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay Simone's reading too!!

I finished :) urge tough one for me. I liked the first 75% but not the last 25% very much. Here's why but don't read until you're finished! (view spoiler)

message 30: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Mar 14, 2013 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Oh David I remember those days of stupid immature love so I think I put up with that stuff more than you were able to. I was truly a love idiot when I was in high school.

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hahaha! "A love idiot" that's awesome and needs to find its way into a book! For me it was just a little over the top and overdone, and then tied into a neat little bow at the end with a bunch of explanation. I guess I just didn't believe the fighting as much as the nice funny banter, if that makes sense? But still a fun read for me, just have to decide how to rate it... ;)

Simone | 67 comments Well, I'm super behind, but I will post results when finished. What's the next buddy read David? I want to start when everyone else does this time :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I get what you are saying David. It was a little too neat at the end. I also enjoyed her follow up book Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins but Anna and St. Clair will always have my heart (and Paris :)

message 34: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol cool ;) Oh and I wished (view spoiler)

message 35: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Simone wrote: "Well, I'm super behind, but I will post results when finished. What's the next buddy read David? I want to start when everyone else does this time :)"

That's ok Simone, I think Jenny ended up trying up get the book in paperback anyway, so she's not done either. But post your thoughts as you have them, I would love to know what you think!

Next buddy read starts tomorrow, it's Through the Ever Night, the sequel to Under the Never Sky :) If you can't make that one, there are a few others we were thinking, like Hunger, the second book in the Gone series. Oh and I just bought Requiem today, anyone up for that sometime soon? Or feel free to suggest one, we're always up for something new!

I'm still reading, Simone. :)

I'm now at 60% and hope to finish tonight. (I just snuck in a few more chapters while eating dinner.) But for now, I have to go back to work for several more hours. UGH. Rough week for me!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments David wrote: "Lol cool ;) Oh and I wished [spoilers removed]"

I get that too. I think by that point I was so enraptured with the whole book I forgave any foibles it had. I was truly just happy after reading the book. I love books that can leave you that way.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments hahahaha I just re-read my review for this and I likened the book to a piece of chocolate cake! I still think that analogy holds up.

message 40: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
David wrote: "Simone wrote: "Well, I'm super behind, but I will post results when finished. What's the next buddy read David? I want to start when everyone else does this time :)"

That's ok Simone, I think Jenn..."

I will join you for Requiem!
I finished Anna last winter, and I really LOVED it! I especially loved the setting, and was totally absorbed in the story!
I also liked Lola, but not as much as Anna!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Yeah Lola and Cricket are just not St. Clair and Anna but still good fun.

Simone | 67 comments Karen, I'm at 67% and I might finish it tonight. So far my impression is a sweet and innocent 4 star rating :)

message 43: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen wrote: "I'm now at 60% and hope to finish tonight. (I just snuck in a few more chapters while eating dinner.) But for now, I have to go back to work for several more hours. UGH. Rough week for me!"

Yuck, working that late? Geez Karen, you're a machine!

message 44: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Simone wrote: "Karen, I'm at 67% and I might finish it tonight. So far my impression is a sweet and innocent 4 star rating :)"

I'm curious whether that changes in the last 30%! Hoping you like the ending more than me :)

message 45: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heidi (trust me) wrote: "hahahaha I just re-read my review for this and I likened the book to a piece of chocolate cake! I still think that analogy holds up."

Hahaha! I love that!!

message 46: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny wrote: "David wrote: "Simone wrote: "Well, I'm super behind, but I will post results when finished. What's the next buddy read David? I want to start when everyone else does this time :)"

That's ok Simone..."

Woohoo!!! Already got a buddy for Requiem! Hmm, well I'm sure we'll be finished with Through the Ever Night by the end of the weekend, do you want to start Requiem right after that, say Monday? Or do you want to read something in between and do our normal Friday start next week for it? Yay! So excited!

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) Heidi (trust me) wrote: "Yeah Lola and Cricket are just not St. Clair and Anna but still good fun."

True. Loved Lola-Cricket loveteam but I felt Anna-St.Clair duo is better in the sense that they act more mature for me. :)

message 48: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm on Spring Break, David, so really whenever you want to do it is fine by me! I'm sure we'll be done with Through the Ever Night by Monday. Or, I will be, I'm sure! ;)

message 49: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL awesomesauce! OK, we'll I don't want to wait either so let's do it! Monday it is! I'll set up the thread right now and see if anyone else is interested :)

message 50: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAY!!!! I have an excuse to put away all the other books for Requiem now!!

« previous 1