The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Are you a Skimmer or a Reader?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Celise I'm just using this book as an example, but it applies to anything. For the record, I read this fully.

Do you tend to skim through a book, reading in depth at times and just floating over the rest? Or do you read each and every word in every book? A mix of both?

I usually read everything, but I find with a lot of YA novels I lose interest and just want to get to the end quickly. Once I've established it as a book I won't like but want to finish anyway, this is what I do.

Celise Do you mean when you kind of zone out and realize you weren't paying attention to the whole last page and you have to go back and reread it?

Cali For me it's a mix of both. When the book's boring, I tend to skim and fake read (you know when you read the words but it doesn't exactly register). When the book's really REALLY good, I tend to read faster, so I can miss a few details here or there :D

Logan If its a book i dont like, then i skim. but if im really into the book then i read fully.

message 5: by Lia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lia Nicole Usually I read every single word and detail, but lately within the last 4 books or so I've noticed I've been skimming.

message 6: by Hec (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hec Hernandez i usaualy read every word but sometimes i skim through it and celise and moonstar love your pictures

Samantha D I read each and every word, as if I were reading it out loud. I am afraid to miss something!

message 8: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Jackson I read it like I'm supposed to read the bible.

Diane When the writer's style and plot fail to catch my interest, I either stop reading, or I skim. However, since I dislike having a partially read book, I often opt to skim.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

depends how interested in the book i am

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's weird, I'll think I've been reading but then I'll look back and realize I have no idea what I just read. So I think I'm a subconscious skimmer, which is sad :(

Mackie Wood if i am really engaged in the book, i will read in depth but if i find it boring, then i will either stop reading it or will just skim

Devan I read each book cover to cover, to get the full experience of the book. I believe that you can't truely get lost in the book if you skip over even the minor details. Sometimes I even reread descriptions in order to really imagine what something must look like.

Shobana Elango I've never Skimmed a book. I love reading and there's no fun better than getting immersed in a book so deeply that your mind leaves the reality!

Emily Siu If the book is really bad, I skim a little bit but if its really good, I go so fast I have to go back and make sure I read correctly xD

Madeleine Last 100 pages of nearly every book, I skim really badly. I just want to know what happens. But if a book is good, I get really super focused in every word.

Christina Depends on the book. I tend to skim books I just want to finish (not in a good way), but I read every word otherwise. I've noticed my reading pace starts fast at the beginning but slows if a book becomes super awesome near the end because I want to get the full dramatic effect the first time.

message 18: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Diane wrote: "When the writer's style and plot fail to catch my interest, I either stop reading, or I skim. However, since I dislike having a partially read book, I often opt to skim."

ditto

message 19: by Dorcas (last edited Mar 18, 2013 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dorcas Cherogony Depends on the book for sure. I love classics but a lot of times I find myself skimming parts that have no relevance, have weird syntax or have way too much detail. With YA though I can read every word and still get through the book pretty quick as the writing style is usually fast paced and easy to absorb.

Rachel Jackson I usually read carefully. I don't like to miss any details but I skim through parts of the book that I find not so important ( like discriptions of places and stuff).

Amber I read every word. But I use to skim sometimes when I was younger.

Isabella (All Da Ladies Luv Leo) Thomas The only things I skim is when there's a description and I go to the part where the talking starts. The rest I read EVERYTHING. I guess that's why I was surprised when I found out that Hazel from Heroes of Olympus was dark-skinned.

Celise That's usually how I do it. I read the first sentence of a paragraph and maybe the last, then all of the dialogue. If the paragraph sounds important I'll read the rest of it. This is only sometimes though, when the book is long, boring, or dense.

Emily Ann I do both if it's boring I find myself skimming.

message 25: by AC (new) - rated it 3 stars

AC i usually quit reading the book, when I find myself skimming. But it does start to happen sometimes. Most books i have read were interesting enough though..!!

April Celise wrote: "I'm just using this book as an example, but it applies to anything. For the record, I read this fully.

Do you tend to skim through a book, reading in depth at times and just floating over the rest..."

It depends on the book. I usually try to read everything the first time around, but sometimes it's just two pages of a character looking back on things that sometimes are insignificant to the plot of the novel, or even the series. I usually read everything though. But if there's a really boring section I do tend to skim over it, and read the conversation. There are a few books where a lot of the book is internal dialogue that ends up being insignificant because it's the main character complaining about really shallow things that aren't as bad as they are making them out to be. Books like that annoy me *cough* New Moon *cough* Catching Fire *Cough cough* Now I'm not saying that I don't like these books. I do! They are just my least favourite books. Please don't come down on me and insult me or anything. It's just that those 2 books are my least favourite with the internal dialogue. But yes, so I usually only skim books when it's a lot of babbling dialogue. Other than that I try to read it all, even if sometimes it annoys me, because if it's in the novel then it's important for some reason (most of the time). :)

Hisuhn Calsi wrote: "For me it's a mix of both. When the book's boring, I tend to skim and fake read (you know when you read the words but it doesn't exactly register). When the book's really REALLY good, I tend to rea..."

This is exactly what I do as well :)

Sierra G. Calsi wrote: "For me it's a mix of both. When the book's boring, I tend to skim and fake read (you know when you read the words but it doesn't exactly register). When the book's really REALLY good, I tend to rea..."

I Do The Exact Same Thing.

Jordan If it is good I read it all. If it is boring I skim through it.

Georgia I read every word. Now, I wish that I would just skim through a book I really hate, but for some reason I have this fear that I'm going to miss something important, or that skimming a book doesn't officially count as reading it. Which I know isn't true... but still.

Emily Ann I know but with me I kind of feel guilty when I do it but i still do.

message 32: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Testa im a reader

Sevania I'll read, always, and if I really really hate the book I'll just stop.

message 34: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Testa READ!!!! never skim

Melia When I am enjoying a book, I read it thoroughly. But I will also skim a book that I don't like, or that I think is boring but may have an exciting area (which I will read).

kirstin ✿ Reader! I don't like skimming. I want to absorb every word each page has.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Celise wrote: "I'm just using this book as an example, but it applies to anything. For the record, I read this fully.

Do you tend to skim through a book, reading in depth at times and just floating over the rest..."

Celise wrote: "I'm just using this book as an example, but it applies to anything. For the record, I read this fully.

im a reader... though i skimmed on ur message

Krisel Reader here. No matter how long the description (of places or persons) would be, I'll read it. For me to fully understand every scenarios in the book.

Diana I tend to intertwine them both, especially when the book I'm reading is in a purple prose type status where the book just describes every pointless detail that has nothing contributed to the overall storyline. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I notice the book to be overly described, I skim through it until the story starts to pick up again :)

Mpiggy I read everything because I like to absorb it all and think about it. Although with books I'm bored with, I skim kind of. I read but don't fully absorb those ones.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Depends on what book it is. If its a book that I am getting bored of I skim it, but other than that I read