The Challenge Factory discussion

The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
This topic is about The Duke and I
2013 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Zara, Marla and Ezinwanyi ~ The Duke and I

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Zara, Marla and Ezinwanyi ~ The Duke and I

message 2: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16228 comments Mod
We have a thread now. Nice

message 3: by Marla (last edited Mar 14, 2013 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marla | 789 comments I have my book! Do we have a plan?

Sorry, I work better with guidelines or a schedule, but since I crashed your party, just let me know.

message 4: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am finishing this one.
What do you guys think?

1) My husband and I almost named our daughter Hyacinth because my hubby loved the flower too!

2) Loved Gareth and felt such compassion for him. I knew his dad was manipulating him into marriage for his own reasons. What an awful man!

3) Hyacinth's family was awesome.

Marla | 789 comments Um...my book is about Daphne and Simon. I am 3/4 done and there is no Gareth. Hmmm...am I reading the wrong book?

My daughters are Danielle and Francesca. I wished Daphne had been Danielle in the book, but then maybe the love scenes would've been awkward for me to read.

I too loved the Bridgerton family. I think it's sweet that they are named alphabetically.

message 6: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

No. I Read the wrong one. I read It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons #7) by Julia Quinn . Likeness fooled me

Marla | 789 comments Oh no...But that story is about Hyacinth? I thought The Duke and I was cute. I would listen to the rest of the books, but I don't know if I would read them.

Though, I did like the sassy comments. And it might be better to read those Bridgerton family exchanges than listen to them.

message 8: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marla wrote: "Oh no...But that story is about Hyacinth? I thought The Duke and I was cute. I would listen to the rest of the books, but I don't know if I would read them.

Though, I did like the sassy comments. ..."

Yes, the cover fooled me. I can't believe I bought that book and thought I was reading the Duke and I. though I really enjoyed the book. It's book 7 (LMAO).

I am glad you enjoyed book 1. The Brigertons seem like a really cool family.

Marla | 789 comments Was there anything about Simon and Daphne in your book? Sorry you got the wrong book, but at least you enjoyed it. I recommend you read The Duke and I, it was cute.

Marla | 789 comments Hey, what happened to Zara?

message 11: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marla wrote: "Was there anything about Simon and Daphne in your book? Sorry you got the wrong book, but at least you enjoyed it. I recommend you read The Duke and I, it was cute."

I will. I meant to buy it, but just got the wrong one (LMAO). But I will read it. I will Pm Zara to see if she read it already.

They mentioned all the Brigerton's in passing, but the Hyacinth (the young girl) was the focal point

message 12: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I'm still here. Drowning under the number of books I'm reading for challenges. LOL. I have started this book but I'm no where near finished it yet.

message 13: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zara wrote: "I'm still here. Drowning under the number of books I'm reading for challenges. LOL. I have started this book but I'm no where near finished it yet."

take your time/. I read the wrong book anyway

message 14: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Ezinwanyi~Mord'Sith wrote: "Zara wrote: "I'm still here. Drowning under the number of books I'm reading for challenges. LOL. I have started this book but I'm no where near finished it yet."

take your time/. I read the wrong ..."

OK. What's the deadline for finishing this book?

Marla | 789 comments I'm done and Ezinwanyi~Mord'Sith doesn't have the book yet, so at your own pace...

message 16: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Marla wrote: "I'm done and Ezinwanyi~Mord'Sith doesn't have the book yet, so at your own pace..."

Thanks Marla. I appreciate that

Marla | 789 comments What do you think, Zara? I'm still checking on you... :)

message 18: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I'm very slow at the moment. I'm gradually getting there. I got thrown for a six on Sunday morning. My youngest brother rang to say that our Dad had passed away in Church that morning. So we are all still a little bit in zombie land. Please be patient with me.

How are you going with it?

Marla | 789 comments Oh no, Zara, I'm so sorry about your Dad.

I'm done, but I keep checking back to this thread to see what you and Ezinwanyi~Mord'Sith think of the book, but I can stop pestering you both, if you won't be reading it for a while. :)

message 20: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't have this one, I had book 7. Instead, I will be reading the Lisa Kleypas books that I got from the garage sales for $1.
Love garage sales!!!!

Zara, how are you and your family coping? Did the funeral go off smoothly?

message 21: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Ezinwanyi~Mord'Sith wrote: "I don't have this one, I had book 7. Instead, I will be reading the Lisa Kleypas books that I got from the garage sales for $1.
Love garage sales!!!!

Zara, how are you and your family coping? Did ..."

We're still up and down. I've still to talk to my own parish priest about a memorial service here. My brother and other family in the Eastern states of Australia, where my Dad lived, will be holding a memorial service for Dad tomorrow (Friday) and possibly having the funeral on (Saturday) unless the coroner hasn't released Dad's body by then. So the funeral service itself is still up in the air.

message 22: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I have been reading this book and I'm finding it very interesting. The dynamics between people especially the mothers who were trying to marry off their sons and daughters is always good fun to read about. I've just started the 5th chapter.

message 23: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I finished this book a few days ago. I thought it was really well written. It was easy to follow and depicted the era in which it was centred very well. (view spoiler) I supect that I felt this way because I had read two other romance books ahead of this one and they all started sounding the same unfortunately. Having said all that though, I did like it a lot. I gave it four stars.

message 24: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have read 4 books by Julia Quinn and i don't think I have read one that was above a 3.5 star for me. she just don't reach me like Julie Garwood or Lisa Klypas does. but she is still good, just not great.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. How was the funeral for you?

message 25: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I have read 4 books by Julia Quinn and i don't think I have read one that was above a 3.5 star for me. she just don't reach me like Julie Garwood or Lisa Klypas does. but she is still good, just no..."

Hi Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron, I couldn't get to my Dad's funeral due to a lack of money to afford the airfares for 4 of us to the other side of the country. We're having a memorial service at our own parish church on Monday next week. I'm expecting that to be really difficult as the last two days have been very emotionally draining for me because I've been sorting out the order of service for the event. I'm on an emotional roller coaster today.

message 26: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zara wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I have read 4 books by Julia Quinn and i don't think I have read one that was above a 3.5 star for me. she just don't reach me like Julie Garwood or Lisa Klypas do..."

Hang in there. It will continue to be emotional for the next few months. Especially with holidays like mothers and father's day coming up, those things just make you ponder your parents even more.
I hope you have a good support system. Take time outs when you need it.

message 27: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "Zara wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I have read 4 books by Julia Quinn and i don't think I have read one that was above a 3.5 star for me. she just don't reach me like Julie Garwood or L..."

Thanks. I do have a good support system. In fact today I asked a friend to take my daughter to her drama class because I really didn't feel I could cope with the long drive (just an hour). I then did as my friend suggested and went and had a rest.

Marla | 789 comments Sorry, I am out of town, and for over a week, I was getting ahead at work, so I could go out of town. After, 2 cancelled flights, 1 delay and 4 rebookings, I got here 6 hours later than originally scheduled. But I'm having a blast here with my sister and cousins.

Zara, I will keep you in my prayers. Just hang in there. We lost my mom years ago, but we still miss her, sometimes, terribly. You need to survive the first year and then life gets easier.

Marla | 789 comments Rather than repost my thoughts, here is my review of The Duke and I. Let me know if you have any comments about my comments :)