Mic Breaks Only discussion

Medicine Men:  Extreme Appalachian Doctoring
This topic is about Medicine Men
Posts Gone By > Medicine Men: Fin! (Full Book Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Mar 12, 2013 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments ***Open discussion of THE WHOLE BOOK below, no spoilers needed. Be sure you have finished the book before reading! Note: if this is your first visit to this topic I recommend you read this post about discussion ideas, then skip down and post your initial response, then read and respond to other people's posts.***

Full Book discussions:

1) Did you enjoy the storytelling method? What did you think of the book?

2) Which were your two favorite stories?

3) What did you think of the cover?

GO!

message 2: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Mar 14, 2013 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments I liked the straightforward, simple story-telling and that each chapter was a short story. The stories reminded me of books that my Grandparents would read, or have as a compilation on their coffee table. I did not like that the initial impression was that the stories were going to be based on the author working in her physician father's office when ultimately this was not the case. Sometimes it was not clear how the author knew the other doctors mentioned, or if a particular story was about her father or a different doctor altogether. Overall I liked the book, I didn't like all of the stories, but it was an enjoyable quick read.

My two favorite stories were "Going to the Dogs" and "The Good, But Confused Samaritans".

I love the cover, it was the main reason I wanted to read the book. I couldn't help picturing the dog on the cover as the dog in the "Going to the Dogs" chapter.

message 3: by Andrew, Wound Up (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 343 comments This was a fast and fun read which often felt like a readers digest supplemental. Each chapter even ends with a short pun or joke that feel cribbed right from those mail-in comedic collections in each digest.

I thought the first story "Better Late Than Never" was poignant. I'll take "Groundhog Day" as my second.

I think that the cover is adorable. I will note that the subtitle "Extreme Appalachian Doctoring" only applies to about 1/2 of the stories. The book is cohesive and the tales all fit together nicely. I was most impressed with how Jordan was able to capture the individual voices of the various doctors she had interviewed.

message 4: by Andrew, Wound Up (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 343 comments @Michelle - I totally agree that it would have been neat if Jordan had given a better reference regarding her relationship with some of the other doctors.