Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Your favorite horror novel of all time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments You can only pick one. I have 59 books shelved as favorites so this is complicated and every year I find more favorites. Off the cuff, I'm going with The Exorcist. This is subject to but unlikely to change as I continue to think about it. I have a few dozen tied for second.

I reserve the right to edit my post contingent on how many drinks I've had and what I am currently reading.

Your turn. Go.

message 2: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments Probably "'Salem's Lot" by Stephen King.

My favorite horror novel, my favorite work by King, and in my top 5 favorite books of all time.

message 3: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

One and only one?? Though I can argue it is more fantasy than horror, I am going to pick:

"The Stand" by Stephen King.

Might not be the best. Might not be the scariest. But it is my favorite. And has been for years.

message 5: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments So far all my "ties for seconds." No one is subject to torture under the whims of the HA mods..... yet.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments "There can be only one"!! I do have a whole bunch tied for first place. Maybe more than a few!! Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Christine, Pet Semetary, and it really goes on and on....

message 7: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Sorry Cindy, but that answer is incorrect. Would the nearest mod with a Skill Saw please report to this thread ASAP. We have an infraction.

message 8: by Rade (new)

Rade Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "It by Stephen KingIt"

I second that. Almost done with it. Doesn't matter how it ends, I am still counting it as my all time favorite book.

message 9: by Rade (new)

Rade I would add The Shining, Misery, I am Legend, and The Exorcist. Sorry, I named more than one

message 10: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Rade wrote: "Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "It by Stephen KingIt"

I second that. Almost done with it. Doesn't matter how it ends, I am still counting it as my all time favorite book."

Maybe wait until the most fucked up ending in the history of SK books before you commit to that one. But yeah, still a fantastic novel.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Sorry Cindy, but that answer is incorrect. Would the nearest mod with a Skill Saw please report to this thread ASAP. We have an infraction."

oh noooooooo!!! gotta hide.... where do i go????!!!! ahhhhhhhh I'm scaaared!!!!!!!

message 12: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Cindy wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Sorry Cindy, but that answer is incorrect. Would the nearest mod with a Skill Saw please report to this thread ASAP. We have an infraction."

oh noooooooo!!! gotta hide......."

We have a runner! Repeat, we have a runner!!!!

message 13: by Jon Recluse (new)

You have the runs?

message 14: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "You have the runs?"

Stocked up on Depends. Situation normal.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King , this was my first horror novel and made me a longtime fan of SK.

message 16: by Jon Recluse (new)

Changed my mind

Kin by Kealan Patrick Burke

message 17: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Dammit Jon, if I start making exceptions I lose all authority despite the fact I never had any to begin with.

I'll go with though because they don't get much better than KIN.

message 18: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I predict Salem's Lot coming up multiple times. That was one of my many ties for second.

message 19: by Jon Recluse (new)

Changed my mind

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

message 20: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Changed my mind

Ghost Story by Peter Straub"

Tease.

message 21: by Char (last edited Mar 13, 2013 09:31AM) (new)

Char  | 14601 comments Mod
Eleven, you're killing me with this thread. LMAO!

I'm going to have to go with Ghost Story by Peter Straub. There was a movie theater scene in it that scared the shit out me.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Probably The Stand for me or It.

message 23: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Charlene wrote: "That should say you're KILLING me. I'm laughing so hard I can't type."

And I only had seven/, two, yeah two bourbons.

message 24: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The Stand. So epic; such a big part of my life when I first discovered it way back when.

message 26: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments The Stand is in a league of its own. I don't personally know anyone who has read it without being profoundly affected by it. It's the benchmark for every post-apocalyptic story written since and has yet to be bested.

~Tiffany - I haven't read a better vampire story yet since SL.

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments I wonder if it's safe to come out....

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments I ran up the stairs...when I should have been going out the door...

message 29: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Cindy wrote: "I wonder if it's safe to come out...."

Tressa (Mod) stepped out for a sec.... make it quick then run and hide. I'll cover for you.

message 30: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Cindy wrote: "I ran up the stairs...when I should have been going out the door..."

LOL you watched too many 80's slasher films.

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I wonder if it's safe to come out...."

Tressa (Mod) stepped out for a sec.... make it quick then run and hide. I'll cover for you."

Awesome!! thanks I owe you one..if you're ever in a jam....

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments ok, if I have to pick one... I think that it may be Christine. I read it in high school and I swear I could actually spell the death smell he kept talking about.... spooky stuff!! It creeped me out so bad...

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I stepped away to click on some of those "popular" photos. I needed to laugh.

Cindy: ONE BOOK.

message 34: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Cindy wrote: "ok, if I have to pick one... I think that it may be Christine. I read it in high school and I swear I could actually spell the death smell he kept talking about.... spooky stuff!! It creeped me out..."

I'm ashamed to say that is one of the few King books I have not read. Saw the movie plenty of times but that probably doesn't count. Moving it up in my TBR list.

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I ran up the stairs...when I should have been going out the door..."

LOL you watched too many 80's slasher films."

haha omg I still do!!!!

message 36: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I watched Friday the 13th Part V last night. I don't know why... I guess b/c it was there... but dear god, it was so bad. All 50 minutes of it before I had to kill the breaker.

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments ummmm yeah.. sadly I have all of those movies...they are god awful, but I love them like family...lol... i guess I love cheesy horror films way too much.

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Cindy wrote: "ok, if I have to pick one... I think that it may be Christine. I read it in high school and I swear I could actually spell the death smell he kept talking about.... spooky stuff!! It ..."

Eleven the book is ten times better than the movie and I think Arnie is a bit more empathetic there too. Probably in my top five of King novels.

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Cindy wrote: "ok, if I have to pick one... I think that it may be Christine. I read it in high school and I swear I could actually spell the death smell he kept talking about.... spooky stuff!! It ..."

Great!! I promise you won't be disappointed!! It is really good. sadly, tho, I love the movie too!! haha

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments Tressa wrote: "I stepped away to click on some of those "popular" photos. I needed to laugh.

Cindy: ONE BOOK."

I tried and tried and I had all the struggles of the dammed...and I have chosen Christine. Of course, that could change tomorrow. lol

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Cindy wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Cindy wrote: "ok, if I have to pick one... I think that it may be Christine. I read it in high school and I swear I could actually spell the death smell he kept talking about..."

Lol I love the movie too but having seen it first and read the book later I was really wowed by how much more there was in the book.

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments Yeah, I read the book way before I saw the movie and I bet that made a huge difference. Also Christine was one of my very first horror novels and that booked started a lifelong love affair. Pet Semetary was actually the first horror novel i ever read, but Christine is a tiny bit in the lead for me.

message 43: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 999 comments If I think in terms of Stephen King, then I would have to go with "The Shining". There were just so many scenes in there that scared me. The idea of this family trapped in a snow bound hotel. The desolation of the hotel yard and most of all, the Hedge animals moving. Very creepy.

My favorite non King novel is "The Legend of Hell House" by Richard Matheson. That one has always scared the crap out of me.

message 44: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments Have never read "the legend of hell house" but I love Matheson...so..going on the list!!!

message 45: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments All I found was the screenplay...is that right??

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 82 comments Christine.

message 47: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 999 comments Cindy wrote: "All I found was the screenplay...is that right??"

Im sorry Cindy, the title is Hell House. legend of Hell House is the movie.

message 48: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1051 comments Was having trouble deciding between two King books, but then I heard about the Skil Saw penalty for indecision...
It by Stephen King
Definitely.... yes, that's the one. No indecision here, no siree! That's the one... Yup. Final answer.

message 49: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Ah shit, now I'm gonna be up all night thinking of my one!

message 50: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 728 comments Jeff wrote: "Cindy wrote: "All I found was the screenplay...is that right??"

Im sorry Cindy, the title is Hell House. legend of Hell House is the movie."

Oh okay, thanks!! I actually think that I have a copy of that...sad... I don't even know what I have anymore! lol

« previous 1